Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Johnstone 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Johnstone 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
St. Johnstone scorers: L. McBain 55

29/10/1927 | KO:


The more bustling and vigorous side, Aberdeen were unlucky not to divide the points at Muirton Park, Perth, where St Johnstone won by one goal to nothing. L McBain scored the all-important gaol, and it was right that the honour should be his, for throughout the game he was the only home forward of much account, and with support would have constituted a real danger to the opposing defence. St Johnstone at no period of the game settled as a combined force, and this was largely due to the weakness of the wing halves, Imrie and Lockhead, who never succeeded in subduing the Aberdeen wingers. For the first half hour of the game all the scoring chances fell to the visitors, who suited themselves admirably to the heavy going, and Page alone denied them success. Later, with the defence steadying up, Laurie McBain found a weak spot in the Aberdeen armour, but although several times boring his way through, no one was handy to finish off his work. After the Saints' goal, Aberdeen struck a particularly bright patch, but a hesitancy to shoot, not apparent earlier in the game, allowed the Saints to survive the onslaught. It was at this juncture that the game was won and lost, for had Aberdeen profited by the falling away of the home lot, and notched the goal well deserved on play, a very different result might have had to be recorded. Towards the close Aberdeen lost the services of Livingstone, their left back, but despite this handicap kept pushing on their efforts to equalise. It was a game in which dash and vigour upset combination. For St Johnstone, Page, Jamieson, Neil McBain, L. McBain, and Stevenson were best, and for Aberdeen, Blackwell, Livingstone, McDermid, Smith, Love. And Bruce were outstanding. Attendance, 7000.

Source: The Scotsman, 31st October 1927

After their victory over Celtic it was not expected Aberdeen would be beaten by St Johnstone at Perth, but the only goal gave the points to the Perth team. The game at Muirton Park attracted about 6000 spectators. Aberdeen had Cosgrove for Black at right half, but otherwise the team was the same as defeated Celtic. St Johnstone had two changes, McBain (N.) and Lochhead coming in at half-back for Swallow and Bolton.
On the run of the play, Aberdeen did not deserve to be beaten, and in the closing stages especially came near to equalising. Throughout they played better football than the winners, but their shooting left much to be desired, and it was really failure in this department that brought about their defeat. They were unfortunate to lose the services of Livingstone, injured, during the last fifteen minutes of the game, but his absence did not account for the adverse result.


Aberdeen were at a slight disadvantage with sun and breeze in the opening half, but they were first to be dangerous, Love and Cheyne having a promising movement negatived by Steele. In a raid by the home forwards Nicholson centred behind and at the other end Page ran out and fielded from Love, with Smith rushing in upon him. Following this, Cosgrove from long range shot over, with Page out of his goal. A corner kick availed the home team nothing. End-to-end play followed for a time. Love and Nicholson centring behind, but Aberdeen were unfortunate when, following a smart run and cross by Smith, Cheyne just missed the home goal with a fast ground shot. Aberdeen maintained a brisk attack, but resolute defence kept them out, and several likely shots were charged down. Following a free kick for hands by Jackson, the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, Main's header going inches wide. Bruce was inches off with a shot at Page's end, and following clever wing play by Smith and Love, Yorston was just off the mark with a shot. Ultimately St Johnstone shook off the pressure, and following a corner, Blackwell brought off a smart save from McBain (N.). Later, McDermid lost possession, and McBain (L.) got through to shoot against the outside of the net. Aberdeen again took up the attack, and after Bruce had wriggled through to run the ball over, Yorston was inches off with a shot from the left. An effort by Love was cleverly saved by Page, and at the other end McDermid dispossessed the home centre forward in the act shooting. Bruce let Smith away, and the winger finished with a tremendous shot which Page knocked down and cleared. At the other end McBain all but scored with a header from Gavigan's centre.


Following this Yorston netted for Aberdeen, but Smith had returned the ball from beyond the goal line and no count was registered. Towards the interval, the exchanges were particularly lively. A free kick for an illegal charge gave Blackwell relief when he was beset by opponents, and Cheyne was inches off with a shot at Page's end. Close on half-time Gavigan sent over a lightning centre, which McDermid breasted behind, and the referee thinking the Aberdeen captain had handled awarded a penalty kick to St Johnstone. Aberdeen protested, and after the official had consulted the linesmen he altered his decision, and gave a corner kick, the ball being cleared, so that there was no scoring up to the interval.


Blackwell had to save from Gavigan on the resumption, and later McBain (L.) shot wide. Aberdeen were confined to defence for a time, but they were showing up well, and little of a dangerous nature reached Blackwell. An effort by Imrie from long range soared high over. Smith broke away for Aberdeen, but after cutting close in he passed to an opponent. He made partial amends on his next raid, however, when he finished with a terrific shot that grazed Page's crossbar.
After ten minutes' play St Johnstone obtained the only goal of the game. Lochhead lobbed the ball in front of the Aberdeen goal, and a defender's return sent the ball to Stevenson, who transferred to McBain (L.), and the latter netted from close range. St Johnstone played better after this success, and McBain (L.). and Main were a trifle wide with good shots. At the other end, Cheyne had a terrific shot blocked by Jamieson, and Page fielded from Cosgrove. Later, Cheyne shot against the crossbar, but in any case was ruled offside. Bruce had a shot charged down, and Jamieson deflected an effort by Love that might have beaten Page. Aberdeen were maintaining a determined attack, and a great shot by Bruce was headed out by McBain (N.). Later, Love just missed the goal with a cross shot. Nicholson broke away for the Perth team, and Blackwell did well to stop McBain's (L.) header at the foot of the post. Love next gave Cheyne a chance, but he missed the goal, and following this Jamieson cleared after Page had knocked down a fierce shot by the Aberdeen right winger.


Livingstone was injured in a tackle with Stevenson, and after being treated made an effort to continue, but ultimately had to retire, and Aberdeen played with ten men during the last quarter of an hour. Stevenson had a great shot saved by Blackwell, and following this, Aberdeen monopolised the attacking. Jamieson was injured, but was quickly able to resume. McDermid endeavoured to force the game for Aberdeen, and shot over after fine passing with Smith. Aberdeen crowded all sail on attack in the closing stages, but they could not break down the St Johnstone defence, and for the first time this season failed to score in a league match.

Source: Press & Journal, 31st October 1927

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Page; Steele, Jamieson; Imrie, McBain (N.), Lochhead; Main, McBain (L.), Stevenson, Nicholson
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Muirton Park, Perth
Referee: A. R. Williamson, Glasgow