Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 7 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 5 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Ness 5, McDougall 8, Grove 10, Ritchie (o.g.), McDougall 35, McDougall, Salisbury

05/11/1927 | KO:


Partick Thistle gave a surprising exhibition against Aberdeen at Firhill Park, Glasgow, and returned their biggest League win of the season. Playing the game at a fast pace, and swinging the ball about, they bewildered the visitors. Within a few minutes they had scored. Salisbury beat Jackson and crossed, for Ness to drive the ball past Blackwell into the net. In two minutes Salisbury again made the running, and his centre that time was turned in by McDougall. That disastrous start unsettled the Aberdeen side, and Grove, from outside the penalty area, shot hard into the net. The Aberdeen defence was unsound, and their forwards, when they got on the run, were easily held by the Thistle half-backs and backs. As a result, play was mostly round Blackwell, and when 17 minutes had gone the Thistle scored again, a shot from Williamson being deflected into the net by Ritchie. Before the interval was reached the Thistle got another goal by McDougall. Aberdeen did better in the second half, but their forwards failed as marksmen. On one occasion Smith got through, but shot straight at Jackson, who cleared easily. In the closing stages the Thistle scored other two goals, McDougall and Salisbury getting the better of Blackwell. The attendance was about 10,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th November 1927

At Firhill Park, Glasgow, Aberdeen sustained their heaviest defeat in the league competition, Partick Thistle beating them by 7goals to 0. The winners were not so much superior as the score would suggest, and the defeat is mostly accounted for by slackness om the part of the Aberdeen defence. Pittodrie teams have frequently been proved to be slow beginners, and it was this failing that laid the foundation for their overwhelming defeat. They lost three goals in the first ten minutes and before they had actually made a serious attack on the Thistle goal. From the shock of these early disasters they never really recovered. After the interval they held their own territorially, but their defence was shaky and unreliable, and had Thistle taken their chances Aberdeen would have lost more goals.


The whole team gave a most disappointing display. In part extenuation, it might be put forward that Cosgrove was injured early in the game, and was badly lamed, going to outside right, with Love as partner and Cheyne at right half, but this circumstance was counter-balanced by the fact that O'Hare, the Thistle right back, and Ness, outside right, were also lame for a considerable period of the game and actually retired about five minutes from the close, so that the winners finished with nine men.


About 11,000 people witnessed Aberdeen's eclipse. Thistle attacked at the opening, and Salisbury, when well placed, sent weakly behind after Blackwell had cleared. A home success was not long delayed, however, after five minutes Salisbury tricked Jackson to centre, and Ness headed into the net. Immediately afterwards, Elliot from long range shot against Blackwell's crossbar. After eight minutes' play the Aberdeen defence failed to clear, and McDougall shot a second goal while falling to the ground. Even this second reverse did not stir Aberdeen, and after ten minutes' play Grove got a third goal for Thistle with a fine shot. Following this the visitors rallied, and the Thistle goalkeeper was frequently in action. A slip by O'Hare nearly let Smith through, but the defender recovered, and shortly afterwards Thistle went further ahead. Salisbury crossed, and with the Pittodrie defence in a muddle, Williamson shot and the ball struck Ritchie on the knee, to be deflected past Blackwell. Subsequently Aberdeen were kept busy defending, but their troubles were added to when Cosgrove was injured and had to be carried off. He returned later and went outside right, but in his crippled state was of little further use to his side. Ten minutes from the interval McDougall got a fifth goal for Thistle after the ball had cannoned off Williamson's back from a colleague's shot. Aberdeen improved and frequently had Jackson in action, Bruce in particular having a fine try deflected, and just on the interval Yorston appeared to be set for scoring when he was dropped in the penalty area, but the referee made no award. Thistle easily retained their lead of five goals until half-time.


Aberdeen were forced on the defensive in the early stages of the second period, and in a raid by Thistle, Ness was injured and had to be carried off. He resumed shortly afterwards, but was lame. Aberdeen frequently attacked, but were weak in front of goal, Yorston, Love, McDermid, and Smith all shooting astray when well placed. On another occasion Smith with only the Thistle goalkeeper in front shot into his arms.
In the later stages Thistle again became dangerous in attack, and after McDougall had netted from among a crowd of players, Salisbury made the total seven with a tremendous shot, Blackwell never seeing the ball. Ness and O'Hare both left the field before the finish.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th November 1927

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; O'Hare, Calderwood; Ellcott, Lambie McLeod; Ness, Grove, Williamson, McDougall, Salisbury
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: J. P. Rowe, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride