Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

Div 1 (Old)

03/12/1927 | KO: 14:15

DAY OF TRAGEDY AT PITTODRIE. Noted Forward's Mishap.

It was a drab afternoon at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, for all concerned - players and spectators alike - and the goalless draw between Aberdeen and the Airdrieonians was, perhaps, only in keeping with other incidents in the course of the game which will make it memorable for many. The weather was dull, foggy, and cold. Before the close of the first half, an elderly spectator in the Grandstand - George Walker, a fisherman - collapsed and died. The outstanding incident in the second half of the game also partook of the nature of a tragedy, Skinner, the Airdrieonians new centre forward, having the bone of his right leg fractured. This was his first match for his new club since his transference from Dunfermline Athletic. There were numerous other accidents of a minor character, and McDermid, the Aberdeen captain, had to be assisted from the field in the growing darkness. There was, however, no suggestion of rough play at any time. With only ten men for the greater part of the second half, the Airdrieonians played a defensive game effectively. Crapnell and McQueen at back and McDougall and Bennie at half-back, were outstanding, and Somerville and Allison were prominent when attack developed in the first period. For Aberdeen the best players were Jackson, D. Bruce, and McHale in defence, and Yorston and R. Bruce in attack. Aberdeen's old fault of defective shooting was often in evidence, and operated against the team's success.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th December 1927

Tragedy was associated with the game at Pittodrie Park, where Aberdeen and Airdrieonians both failed to score. In the first half a painful sensation was caused when it became known that Mr George Walker (61), fisherman, 31 Leslie Road, Aberdeen, a regular frequenter of Pittodrie, had expired on the grand stand. The game was punctuated by many stoppages for injuries to players, and the climax was reached when Skinner, the Airdrieonians' centre-forward, who was only transferred from Dunfermline Athletic earlier in the week, sustained a broken leg. About ten minutes after the interval Skinner broke away on his own, and was preparing to shoot, when Bruce (D.), the Aberdeen left back, dashed in and cleared. Both players kicked the ball simultaneously, and Skinner sank to the ground, Bruce also falling. It was immediately seen that while the Aberdeen player had escaped injury. Skinner was seriously injured. He was removed by stretcher to the pavilion, where it was found he had sustained a fractured shin bone of the right leg. After the limb had been set he was removed to the Royal Infirmary. Seven or eight of the players came by mishap, but all were able to resume after being attended to by the trainers. Despite the succession of unfortunate mishaps, the game was on the whole cleanly fought out, and none of the injuries sustained was the outcome of deliberate fouling.


It was a hard, fast, and sternly contested game, which on the run of play Aberdeen might have won comfortably, but credit is due the Airdrieonians' defence for its splendid work, especially after being deprived of Skinner's services in the second half.
Aberdeen accounted for about two-thirds of the attacking done in the game, but they were badly at fault in their finishing, and repeatedly the forwards were brushed aside by a resolute set of defenders. With both sets of half-backs excelling in spoiling tactics, many clever forward movements terminated abruptly, and with the forwards of both teams showing inaccuracy in their passing, the work of defenders was made easier than it appeared. Blackwell was safe in the Aberdeen goal, and although the backs were frequently in difficulties they did their work well. McHale was a great spoiler at centre-half, and Cosgrove and Lawson were smart at covering up, although neither was constructive. The forwards, who were tricky in mid-field, spoilt their good work by their poor finishing, and there was a tendency on the part of several to hang too long on the ball. This applied especially to Bruce, who was really the most prominent performer in the line.


The honours of the game went to the Airdrieonians' defence, especially Crapnell, McQueen, McDougall, and Bennie, who never faltered in the face of repeated onslaughts. They were finely backed up, too, by Russell, who proved himself a most serviceable and reliable goalkeeper. In a nippy attack that made ground fast, but, like that of Aberdeen, was none too effective near goal, Allison and Somerville were outstanding. Skinner shaped well at times, but was faulty in his passing, and was too closely attended by McHale to be really effective. There were quite a number of exciting incidents in the vicinity of both goals, and many shots were either blocked or charged down, but the game was not made noteworthy by the high standard of the play, and the majority of the 9000 spectators were not sorry when the end came.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th December 1927

Airdrie Teamsheet
Russell; Crapnell, McQueen; Preston, McDougall, Bennie; Murdoch, Neil, Skinner, Allison, Somerville
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: M. Quinn, Bellshill