Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

03/01/1928 | KO:


The meeting of Aberdeen and the Hibernians at Easter Road, Edinburgh, did not furnish very attractive holiday fare. Not a goal was scored, and some of the players were so obviously fatigued by playing three League matches in four days that their form left a lot to be desired. The drawn result was a fair enough reflex of the game. Aberdeen took their share of the honours in mid-field, but like the Hibernians, their forward play was mediocre and unenterprising. Throughout the game there was scarcely a difficult shot sent in to Robb, whose work consisted mainly in running out ot field the ball. Blackwell, on the other hand was well tested by McColl and Dunn in the first half. The Hibernians made a show of determination in the second period without beating down the Aberdeen backs, whose height was an advantage. McColl was the liveliest of a Hibernian forward line that was distinctly below par, and Dick and McGinnigle were the most prominent in the other divisions. Aberdeen did well t save a point, the credit for which belonged mainly to Jackson and Livingstone for their sturdy play at back. The draw was the Hibernians' fourth in succession. There were fully 12,000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th January 1928

The Dons completed their New Year engagements at Easter Road on Tuesday, when they drew with Hibs, there being no scoring. To take five points from three games in four days is excellent work indeed, and I congratulate the twelve players concerned on their fine achievement. The success met with over the holiday period has acted as a tonic to the supporters, and although I regret that the reserve forces at Pittodrie have not been strengthened, I nevertheless take this opportunity of giving the players credit for what they have accomplished, coupled with the hope that they will continue to meet with a fair amount of success in the future. In reviewing the last three games played, I have come to the conclusion that the principal reason for the all-round improvement in the play of the team can be traced to the great work of McHale at centre-half. To use a common expression, he has "come out of his shell" lately, and there is no doubt that he has been the means of inspiring the other players at a time when there was a prospect of another lean period being experienced.
Chief credit for the draw at Easter Road goes to the defence. Blackwell was kept on the qui vive most of the game, and he saved the team from defeat in the closing stages, when he brought off two wonderful saves. Harry is playing at the height of his form at present. Jackson was also a stout defender, whilst Livingstone did not give Ritchie much scope. McHale was a tireless worker at centre-half, and but for his vigilance McColl would have scored on more than one occasion. Black was the best constructive half on view, while Ross was by no means a failure. Bruce was the best man in attack.

Source: Bon-Accord, 7th January 1928

Aberdeen returned from Edinburgh with a point out of their match with the Hibernians at Easter Road yesterday. It was a good enough achievement in the ordinary way, and perhaps, on the whole, it represented a fair issue of the conflict which, in the first half was all in favour of Aberdeen, and in the second half just as largely in the scale of the Edinburgh Irishmen.
In the opening period the visitors flattered their many supporters. It always interesting and gratifying at Edinburgh to see how many of the ' exiles ' from Deeside rally on the visits of the team to the Capital. In the second half, however, all that saved the Aberdeen colours was the truly wonderful defending by McHale, Jackson, and Blackwell. They might be accorded praise in the order given for the stoutness of their resistance to the persevering and sometimes desperate onslaughts of the Hibernian front rank, but there can be no manner of doubt that on two occasions Blackwell brought off saves when everything seemed to be lost.


The match was played under excellent conditions overhead until near the finish, when the light was bad. The ground had a hard covering as a result of the frost following the thaw, and it a testimony to the stamina and sound training of the two sides that, in their third game in four days, they stood up to the pace without flinching, and won praise from the onlookers for their grit.
The Black and Gold forward line gave quite a sparkling display in the early part of the first half, particularly Bruce and Smith, but the latter failed in the second half to reproduce his first half form, and, as a consequence, the Aberdeen attack was often easy prey for the brilliant defence by Dick and McGinnigle. Bruce, however, never faltered, and in many ways surprised the spectators by his wonderful stamina for so small a man. The make-shift of Macfarlane at centre-forward, if not meeting with great success, nevertheless prevented the home halves from being able to devote too much attention to their forwards. Well on in the second half it was apparent that the conditions of the ground were going to have a definite say in the ultimate result, as on both sides leg weariness was more than apparent. The defence, fortunately, never wavered, and, when the siege was heaviest, Jackson and Blackwell repeatedly gave the Hibs' forwards the right-about.


A quiet start was witnessed, and it was not until Smith sent a hard drive at the right hand top corner of the Hibs' goal that the crowd, which was 7000 at the start and rose to 12,000 at the opening of the second half, got a thrill. For some time Aberdeen were on a fairly regular attack, but they did not pierce the defence. The Hibs were not idle, and the tit-bits of the match were supplied round about this time by two glorious saves by Blackwell, one being brought off against a point-blank shot of about six yards' range by Bradley. The next was a raking shot by McColl, which the Aberdeen 'keeper managed to send over the bar. Those spurts, which were thwarted by the capacity of Blackwell, were the best efforts of the wearers the green this half.
The sides crossed over with a clean goal record, and the second half had not been long in progress before the Hibs did all they could to respond to the shouts for a goal. The home pressure was as steady and apparently relentless as was Aberdeen's in the opening half, but the goal that would settle the match was not to come out of the game. Aberdeen put up a sturdy defence, and in a finish, when there was a lot of pep in the Hibs' attempts to score, Blackwell stood out pre-eminently.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th January 1928

Hibernian Teamsheet
Robb; McGinnigle, Stark; Murray, Dick, Gilfeather; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Bradley
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: W. Holborn, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen