Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Celtic scorers: McInally 40
Aberdeen scorers: Smith 30.

25/02/1928 | KO:


The Celtic received a check at home, where Aberdeen held them to a draw in what was one of the poorest games seen at Celtic Park this season. The absence of W. McStay and McGrory had an upsetting effect on the Celtic, who although having by far the greater part of the game, never looked like winning. The two junior backs, Geddes from Lochgelly Celtic and Sinclair, Alva Albion Rangers, did not impress, although the latter did very well in the first half. But most of the blame for the loss of the point must go to the forwards. McLean and Connolly did their part well, but the inside men played too closely against a robust Aberdeen defence that improved as time went on. McInally, who was taking McGrory's place, could make nothing of McHale, and latterly he changed places with Doyle. After half-an-hour Smith opened the scoring for Aberdeen with a swerving shot that got in between Thomson and a post, and five minutes from the interval McInally equalised from a cross by Connolly. There was no scoring in the second half, which was spoiled to a great extent by the frequent stoppages for free kicks against Aberdeen defenders. In the closing minutes McLean made a great effort to give the Celtic the two points, but Blackwell saved his shot in brilliant style. The attendance was about 7000.

Source: The Scotsman, 27th February 1928

By drawing with Celtic at Parkhead, Aberdeen did Rangers a good turn. Celtic missed McGrory, and McHale saw to it that McInally was not given much scope. Aberdeen "A" who are strongly placed at the top of the Alliance table, will do well if they draw at Tynecastle, but even one point will be very difficult to get.

Aberdeen did well to divide the points at Parkhead with Celts. By doing so they have done Rangers a great turn, just as Hearts did by smacking Motherwell at Fir Park.
Yet the Dons could have won this game had the inside forwards been worth their salt. Celtic missed their regulars, particularly McGrory, who would have been better playing for his club than his country. At any rate, his reputation would have remained as high as ever. It was evident from the very start, however, that McInally was not happy at centre forward against McHale, who gave him rather a stormy passage. Yet McInally scored Celtic's goal with a shot which would have deceived any goalkeeper. Smith was Aberdeen's scorer, and the Celtic goalkeeper had no chance with his shot.
Blackwell can be given much of the credit for the saving of a point. His handling of the ball was confident, while his anticipation was exceptionally good. Both backs did well. Jackson allowed McLean very little scope, while Livingstone was calm and certain in everything he did. Black was a good constructive half-back, while McHale and McDermid were great spoilers.
Had the play of the inside forwards been equal to that of the wing men then Celtic would have lost both points. Merrie was not a good leader in this game. He was well watched by McStey, but even when he did get clear of the centre-half he did nothing of note. Cheyne was spasmodic. He did many smart things, but there were occasions when he wasted grand opportunities. McLeod was none too fit. Smith was as good a forward as there was playing, while Love, although reckless at times, played quite well.
A point from Parkhead is precious, but full toll might easily have been extracted.

Source: Bon-Accord, 3rd March 1928

Aberdeen accomplished quite a good performance at Parkhead. where they shared two goals with Celtic, from whom the Pittodrie team have taken three points this season. On this occasion Celtic were without their regular backs, and McGrory, their scoring centre-forward. Two juniors deputised at back, and Mclnally led the attack, Doyle being introduced at inside left. Aberdeen made several changes, McDermid being at left half, with McLeod at Inside left, and Merrie made his debut at centre-forward.
Eight thousand spectators watched a closely-contested game in which each side had periods of ascendancy, and if they did not attack quite as much as Celtic, Aberdeen well-deserved to share the points and record their second draw on the ground.


The honours of the game went to the respective defences, who were great spoilers throughout. The forwards at times displayed clever footwork, but the passing was inaccurate and the shooting left much to be desired. Both goals had been hotly assailed in turn before Aberdeen took the lead after half an hour's play. Smith got away, and after rounding two opponents, sent in a fast low shot which entered the net just inside the post, Thomson being slow to get down. Ten minutes later Celtic equalised, Mclnally accepting a pass from Connolly to give Blackwell no chance with a fine shot. The five minutes preceding the interval provided the brightest period of the game. Love and Cheyne both just missed scoring with good shots for Aberdeen, and McLean dna Doyle had efforts brilliantly saved by Blackwell.


There was a dour struggle in the second half, when for the greater part Celtic were on the offensive, but Aberdeen put up a determined defence, Blackwell, Jackson, and McHale putting in grand work. Aberdeen were repeatedly dangerous with dashes by the extreme wingers, and cross-shots by Smith and Love came near to counting more than once. Blackwell, however, was the busier of the two goalkeepers and cleared many dangerous shots. In the later stages some feeling crept into the game and there were many irritating stoppages for petty infringements. Ln an effort to snatch a win Celtic re-arranged their attack, but all to purpose, and the closing minutes Aberdeen were just near to snatching the deciding goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th February 1928

Celtic Teamsheet
Thomson (J.); Geddes (Lochgelly Celtic), Sinclair (Alva Albion Rangers); Wilson, McStey (J.), Macfarlane; Connolly, Thomson (A.), McInally, Doyle, McLean
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: C. Bilney, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen