Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Raith Rovers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, Cheyne 55, Cheyne.

03/03/1928 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen's victory by three clear goals over Raith Rovers at Pittodrie Park was by no means of the run-away nature which the result seems to indicate. Indeed, so evenly-balanced was the play in the first period that it might have been anybody's match, and the brilliancy of Page's goalkeeping gave the Aberdeen supporters cause furiously to think that their favourites might not get a single goal. The change in the tactics adopted by the Aberdeen players in the second half was all to their advantage. The three goals obtained by Cheyne, Yorston, and again by Cheyne were all the result of play at close quarters, where the goalkeeper from St Johnstone was practically crowded out, with little or no chance of laying hands on the ball. He was capably supported by the backs, Pitcairn and Hopewell, while the wingers on the left and right respectively (Turner and Ritchie) sent in a number of likely shots which were well kept out by Blackwell and the backs, Jackson and Livingstone. Others who did good service for Aberdeen were McHale, Black, Love, Cheyne, and Yorston. A crowd of over 12,000 saw a closely-contested, fast match, played with something like cup-tie vigour.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th March 1928

Aberdeen registered an easy victory at Pittodrie, where Raith Rovers were beaten by 3 goals to 0. The home team won even more comfortably than the score would suggest, and despite defects were much the superior combination. The opening of the scoring was delayed until after the interval, but although the visitors, especially Page in goal, defended well, the absence of goals was as much due to weak finishing on the part the home forwards as to any outstanding merit in the Kirkcaldy defence. Once Cheyne had given Aberdeen the lead, the issue was never in doubt, and the visitors were really outplayed. The Kirkcaldy backs stood up well to repeated onslaughts, but had too much work thrown on their shoulders because of the weakness of the half-backs in front. The latter never really got the upper hand of the Aberdeen forwards and although Batchelor occasionally took the eye with forward passes, generally there was little constructive ability in the line. The losers, too, were weakly served by their forwards. Occasionally Ritchie and Turner on the extreme wings raised a flutter, but their crosses when not sent in rear of the goal were invariably wasted on McHale and his backs. The inside trio were lacking in craft, and were dominated by the home half-backs.


Blackwell had an easy afternoon, and Jackson and Livingstone, although often busy were always equal to all calls. In a half-back line that was greatly superior to that of the visitors, McHale and Black were always prominent, and the first-named effectively subdued Munro, the Kirkcaldy centre forward who is on loan from St Johnstone. In an Aberdeen attack that scintillated in midfield, but which, might have been more dangerous near goal, Yorston, Smith, and Cheyne were most impressive. There were 11,000 spectators.


Aberdeen made a promising start, Cheyne having a terrific shot deflected over the bar by Page, and after Pitcairn had blocked a try by Black, the Kirkcaldy goalkeeper had to save from Smith and Cheyne. Later, Page was again in action, this time to Merrie. Through the medium of their left wing, Rovers improved and Turner twice sent behind, a fate which followed crosses by Love and Smith for Aberdeen. The exchanges favoured the home team for a time, but Turner got away and a great cross shot by the winger was brilliantly saved by Blackwell, who dived at the ball and deflected it round the post. Following this the Rovers' goal had an equally narrow escape, Hopewell clearing from below the bar, with Page out of his goal. Aberdeen claimed that the back had used his hands in saving, but the referee decided otherwise. Aberdeen for a time kept up a persistent attack, and Page was kept busy. On one occasion he was beaten by a header from Merrie, but the crossbar intervened, and later he had to throw the ball behind when harassed by Yorston. Several other corners fell to Aberdeen, but they could not penetrate a determined defence.
In a raid the by Rovers' forwards Munro blundered badly when he met a centre from Ritchie, and although Turner was prominent, his colleagues were not responding to his leads. Towards the interval the exchanges entirely favoured Aberdeen, and Page saved well from Love, Yorston, and McHale, and Hoggan, on the goal-line, kicked out a header by Yorston. On the run of play, Raith Rovers were fortunate to be still on level terms.


Aberdeen were still on top in the early stages of the second half, and Page had to clear from Love, who later shot wide on two occasions. Following this, a slip by Pitcairn let Merrie through, but the centre-forward sent against the outside of the net. After this escape, Rovers improved, and following a corner kick Allison headed against Blackwell's crossbar. After ten minutes' play Aberdeen took the lead. Livingstone worked the ball forward and passed to Cheyne, who beat Page with a fast ground shot from about fifteen yards' range. Another Aberdeen success was not long delayed. After a bombardment by the home forwards, during which Pitcairn was stunned in stopping a shot by Cheyne, Page allowed himself to be dispossessed by Yorston who cleverly screwed the ball into the net. Shortly afterwards Aberdeen got a third goal, Cheyne again beating Page with a ground shot. In the later stages Aberdeen monopolised the attacking and many shots were either blocked or charged down by the Rovers' defenders, but there was no further scoring.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th March 1928

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Page; Pitcairn, Hopewell; McCaig, Hoggan, Batchelor; Ritchie, McAllister, Munro, Allison, Turner
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen