Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McHale, Yorston, Merrie.

10/03/1928 | KO: 15:00

ABERDEEN'S WIN. Penalty Claims Ignored.

Aberdeen fully deserved their three goals' victory over Partick Thistle at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen. It was a stubbornly-played and goalless first half, and it was nearing the latter part of the second period before Aberdeen found the desired opening after Merrie had let a couple of good chances slip away. But once a break had been made in the stubborn defence set up by the Partick Thistle backs, O'Hare and Paton, and the smart custodian, Jackson, matters moved rapidly, and Aberdeen's goals came in quick succession, first from McHale's header, then by Yorston accepting a pass from Love and beating Jackson with a high header, and next by Merrie making no mistake with a pass from Cheyne. To the end, Aberdeen maintained their advantage, aided by the north-easterly wind and blizzard of hail and snow showers. The 9000 spectators were delighted with their favourites' victory. For Partick Thistly the defence was most prominent, but the right winger, Ness, and the centre-half, McDougall, were prominent in most constructive, aggressive play. Love, Cheyne, and Yorston were the best in Aberdeen's front line, McHale at centre-half worked well, and Jackson and Livingstone were a couple of reliable backs. The Aberdeen goal was in great jeopardy near the start of the match when Blackwell brought off a remarkable save from a header by Partick Thistle's inside right, Grove, and a swift shot following from Beardman, the inside left forward.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th March 1928

After goal-less first half, Aberdeen experienced no great difficulty in beating Partick Thistle 3-0 at Pittodrie and thereby avenging a 7-0 defeat sustained at Firhill in November. Wintry conditions prevailed, and at periods during the game the players had to contend with a blizzard. In the circumstances the attendance was not more than 9000.
There were periods of the game, especially in the first half, when there was really nothing between the teams, but after the interval, when they had the elements in their favour, Aberdeen were on top, and once they had opened the scoring the issue was never really in doubt. Aberdeen held the advantage at back, at wing half, and at inside wing forward, where they showed more craft than was exhibited by the Thistle attacks.


Even play marked the opening, and both ends were raided without either goalkeeper being called upon. Ultimately Love had a chance to shoot, but Paton jumped in and cleared, and later Smith was badly off the mark with an attempt at a shot. After having forced a corner, Thistle almost scored, Blackwell deflecting a fine shot by Grove. Following a raid and centre by Smith, Love shot over the Thistle goal, with Jackson out of his charge. At the other end Blackwell saved an oblique shot by Elliot. Other two corners followed to Thistle, but these were cleared, and when Aberdeen retaliated Merrie met a centre by Love, but sent the ball too far ahead, and Paton cleared. At the other end Blackwell stopped a header by Grove and got into position in time to save a shot from Boardman.
Subsequently Aberdeen attacked. Love just failed to gather from Merrie after a run and centre by Smith, but later the home right winger had a fine shot brilliantly saved by Jackson. A snap-shot by Gibson was smartly picked up by Blackwell, and then the Thistle goalkeeper cleared from Smith. During fierce attacks by Aberdeen two claims for penalty infringements against Thistle defenders were turned down, and a section of the spectators expressed disapproval. Towards the interval play ruled from end to end. Gibson had a shot deflected by Livingstone, and the Thistle goalkeeper dealt with efforts by Smith and Cheyne. There was no score at half-time.


Thistle had to face a fierce blizzard when the game resumed, and were immediately forced on the defensive. Merrie and Cheyne both shot wide from favourable positions, and subsequently the home forwards were at fault in not indulging in more shooting. In a break-away by Thistle, Salisbury sent behind, and later Grove, when well placed repeated the performance. There was another claim for a penalty for Aberdeen when a Thistle defender appeared to handle a shot by Cheyne, but again the referee decided there was no infringement.
Following a period of mid-field play, Aberdeen forced a corner, and subsequent to the flag kick McHale headed through in a scrimmage. Thistle protested against the legality of the goal, but the referee was adamant. Following this the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape. Black passed back wide of Blackwell, but Livingstone intervened when a goal seemed certain. Subsequently play ruled in favour of Aberdeen, and from centre by Love, Yorston from close range put Aberdeen further ahead. Thistle retaliated for a time, and McDougall came near with a header, but later Aberdeen exerted strong pressure, and Merrie, accepting a pass from Cheyne, went on to beat O'Hare and gave the Thistle goalkeeper no chance with a fine shot. Three goals ahead, Aberdeen had no great difficulty in maintaining their advantage.

Source: Press & Journal, 12th March 1928

As a result of their victory against Partick Thistle, Aberdeen have jumped up to fifth place in the Scottish League table, but there is a difference of seven points between them and the Hearts, who occupy the fourth rung of the ladder. The Dons have not been defeated in their last three games, and have not lost a goal since they drew at Parkhead. On Saturday they play their only away game during March, and they ought to divide the points at Bo'ness. The team is not all that could be desired, but it is making up for serious lapses in the earlier part of the season.

If Aberdeen had been able to finish better, they would have beaten the Thistle by six goals instead of three. The second half was well advanced before the Dons really gained the upper hand, but after this they were easily superior, and during the closing stages the visitors were mostly on the defensive. McHale opened Aberdeen's account, but there was some doubt as to how he actually put the ball into the net, it being alleged that he fisted through. At any rate, the referee granted the goal, notwithstanding strong protests from the Thistle players. Yorston was responsible for the second goal, the little inside left heading through from a beautiful lob from Love. The best goal of the match, and one of the most spectacular ever seen at Pittodrie, was registered by Merrie. He received a long pass up the centre from Cheyne. This was one of the few occasions when he really got the ball under control. Racing ahead at full speed, he shot with tremendous power. Before Jackson could raise his hands, the ball had flashed past him. It was really a great goal, but credit must be given to Cheyne for the adroit pass which he sent up the middle to his centre-forward.
It was an interesting game to watch from start to finish, but there can be no doubt that the visitors missed Lambie, while the attack lacked the thrust and cleverness of McDougall, who is undoubtedly one of the most promising forwards in the game.
The brightest feature of the game, which was played under very trying conditions, was the confident display given by Harry Blackwell. On the other hand, the refereeing was poor, and both teams had cause for complaint in this connection. No one can deny, however, that Blackwell saved Aberdeen in the first half. He was severely tested, but never once did he falter. What I liked best of all was his positional play. On two occasions he saved certain goals simply because he anticipated the moves of the Firhill forwards. Jackson also did well in the Thistle goal. He had no chance to prevent the first goal, while he was completely deceived by Yorston's header. No goalkeeper could have saved Merrie's shot.
There was little between the back divisions. Jackson was wild in his tackling at times, but otherwise he came up to expectations. In the earlier part of the season, Livingstone did not give me the impression that he would prove an acquisition to the team, but I must admit that, especially since the New Year, he has improved considerably. His style is quiet and always methodical, while there are few backs who can kick so cleanly and confidently with either foot. O?Hare and Paton, the Partick backs, were overworked in the second half, but both put up a stubborn resistance to the Aberdeen attack.
There was not much polish in either half-back line. McHale and McDougall, the respective pivots, were spoilers only. Their constructive work left much to be desired. I thought, however, that McHale was just a little bit too robust in his tackling at times. A player can always use his weight to advantage and use it fairly, but there were occasions on Saturday when it seemed as if McHale's sole intention was to get the man rather than the ball. He committed too many infringements for my liking, and the visitors might easily have profited from the number of free kicks awarded them. McHale may have been aggravated by something which occurred earlier in the game, but, apart from that altogether, he is spoiling his displays by overdoing the robust work. He certainly gave Gibson little scope, and he paid his way by the success of his vigil over the Thistle centre. Black was again the best half-back, while McDermid worked hard. Of the Partick middle men, Elliott impressed the most.
Aberdeen possessed the better-moving attack. This was due principally to the fine leading-out work of Cheyne and Yorston. The Thistle were better served at outside left, where Salisbury was always a source of danger. The visiting inside forwards were poor, while Ness occasionally performed smartly.
Merrie was not an impressive leader of the Aberdeen attack, but it may be that he has been lacking confidence. His goal was beautifully taken, and if this is a sample of his shooting, there should be many more goals to his account before the season finishes - provided, of course, that he is able to retain his position. On his showing in the first three games, he has not earned the right to be kept as leader of the attack, but it may be taken for granted that the management will persevere with him. He wants to show more daring and shoot more often. Yorston was a very live wire, and his form in the last two games was good enough to give him a permanency at inside left. He may be small in stature, but he gets there. Cheyne's play in the outfield was exceptionally clever at times, but he was not in shooting form on Saturday. Love was a dangerous winger, but is inclined to wait until an opponent is too close to him before crossing the ball. Smith spoiled many good movements by shooting wildly from impossible angles.

Source: Bon-Accord, 17th March, 1928

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; O'Hare, Paton; Elliot, McDougall, Hunter; Ness, Grove, Gibson, Boardman, Salisbury
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Morrison, Falkirk
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen