Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: Craddock
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 30.

17/11/1928 | KO: 14:45


Dundee were a goal down at the interval, Yorston scoring. Prior to that Aberdeen had come near to scoring on several occasions. In the second half Dundee played hard for the equaliser. They got it eventually through Craddock. Estimated attendance 10,000.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 19th November 1928

After a keen struggle, which was most exciting in the closing stages, Aberdeen and Dundee finished level at Dens Park, each side scoring once. Although the weather was good, the conditions were not ideal for football, there being a strong wind and bright sun, which proved disturbing factors in the game. Unfortunate enough to lose the toss, Aberdeen had to face wind and sun in the first half, and it was not surprising they had to defend for the greater part of the time. All the same their forwards repeatedly got away, and on one these raids Yorston gave them a lead which they retained until the interval. In the second half Aberdeen accounted for the greater amount of attacking, but Dundee gave an improved display, and just when it looked as if Aberdeen would go further ahead, the Tayside team equalised. On the balance of play Aberdeen should have won comfortably, especially in the second half, when the conditions were in their favour. Their forwards, however, showed a surprising lack of shooting ability, and several very easy chances were missed. They found the ball difficult to control, and frequently promising movements broke down at the critical stage on account of this.

A Miss and a Goal.

In the first half the Aberdeen defence withstood a severe gruelling, but so energetic were they and so well did they cover up, that the Dundee attackers got few chances to shoot from close range. Yuill in the Aberdeen goal was repeatedly in action and his charge ran many narrow escapes, but he played brilliantly and set a rare example to his colleagues. He saved many fine tries by such as Townrow, Craddock, Smith, and Campbell, and used his fists to some purpose.
When they raided, the Aberdeen forwards were always dangerous but they ought to have scored before they did. Cheyne on one occasion got beyond the home backs, but with only Marsh to beat, he shot wide of the goal. Yorston's goal after half an hour's play was cleverly taken. McDermid sent up a long, overhead pass and the centre-forward neatly headed over Paton's head to run in and shoot into the net from close range. Aberdeen came near to increasing their lead immediately when two terrific shots by Smith were tipped over the bar by Marsh. The Aberdeen goal was equally fortunate, Smith landing the ball on the top of the net near the interval. Although they had many shots from long range that were more or less badly directed, the Dundee forwards were weak and with the wind and sun to face in the second half, the prospects of the home team at the interval were anything but bright.

Dundee Improvement.

As it happened, Dundee actually played better against the breeze than when it was behind them. Most of the play in the earlier stages was in the vicinity of Marsh, and many shots were blocked or charged down. Aberdeen, however, showed a tendency to play too close football, so that they fell easy prey to a strong and robust defence, which gained in confidence as the game progressed.
After twenty minutes' play the Dundee attack again got going, and Yuill had to save on several occasions, while Smith and Townrow just missed with good efforts.
When least expected, Dundee got the equalising goal. Lawley broke away on the right, and from the winger's centre, Craddock rushed in to give Yuill no chance with a header. Subsequently Cook broke away, and from his cross Smith missed the Aberdeen goal by inches.

Futile Attacks.

During the last twenty minutes of the game Aberdeen kept up a persistent attack. Yorston failed to reach a fine cross by McDermid, and later Smith was badly at fault when, after receiving from Love he missed what was really an open goal. Aberdeen made desperate efforts to snatch the lead in the closing minutes, McHale sending the ball against the crossbar, but all their attacking was in vain, and they had to be content with one point from a game which ought to have yielded them two.
On the whole it was not a good game, the wind being largely responsible for this. Aberdeen always played with more method, and they kept the ball more on the ground than Dundee, but were prodigal of their opportunities. Outstanding in the Pittodrie defence were Yuill, Jackson, Livingstone, and McHale, and in attack the best were McDermid, Love, and Cheyne.
In a Dundee team that did not inspire confidence, the best were Marsh, Ross, McNab, Smith, Lawley, and Craddock. There were 15,000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th November 1928

Dundee Teamsheet
Marsh; Ross, Paton; McNab, Gilmour, Campbell; Lawley, Townrow, Smith, Craddock, Cook
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: C. Bilney, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen