Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 3 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Fraser, Gibson, Torbet
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, Smith.

24/11/1928 | KO:


After a bright start Aberdeen fell away, but they were, however, first to score, Yorston beating Jackson with 20 minutes played. Fraser headed the equaliser. Not long after the interval Gibson gave Partick Thistle the leading goal. Smith equalised, but before the finish the home team took full points with a fine goal by Torbet. Estimated attendance 8000.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 26th November 1928

Partick Thistle beat Aberdeen at Firhill Park, Glasgow, by 3 goals to 2, victory going to the better team. The atmosphere was cold and raw and the game attracted only about 8000 spectators. Following forenoon rain, and more which fell during the game, the pitch cut up badly and with the footing uncertain, and the ball very heavy mistakes were numerous, especially in passing.
Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges for the first twenty minutes, but Thistle equalised this by showing improvement later and at the interval the score of one all truly reflected the respective merits of the teams. in the second half Aberdeen were not seen to advantage. During the last ten minutes they re-arranged their placings and made a stir in attack, but their effort came too late, and in being beaten they had no cause for complaint.

Yorston's Clever Goal.

Aberdeen were the first to score, success coming their way after twenty minutes play. Cheyne dribbled past three opponents and then lobbed the ball forward to Yorston who shot a beautiful goal from just inside the penalty area. Previous to this Yorston had had a fine shot turned over the bar by the Thistle goalkeeper, and Smith, Love, Hill and Black had all unsuccessful efforts at goal. Gibson, Fraser and Lambie made scoring attempts for the Thistle, who drew level near the interval.
A free kick against Jackson just outwith the penalty area, resulted in ball being nicely placed by Tarbet, and Fraser ran in to head past Yuill. Shortly afterwards Thistle almost took the lead, Yuill effecting a spectacular save from Fraser.

Costly Misunderstanding

Thistle went ahead in the first minute of the second half. Tarbet sent over a ground pass and McDermid allowed the ball to go to Yuill who apparently did not anticipate this happening, and before the Aberdeen goalkeeper could act, Gibson jumped in to turn the ball into the net. Subsequently the Thistle forwards were on top, and Yuill and his backs had a gruelling time, the goalkeeper being repeatedly in action. Yorston, who was Aberdeen's most prominent attacker, had a great shot deflected over the bar by Jackson, but generally it was Thistle who did the attacking.
When least expected Aberdeen equalised. Smith on the left of the home goal found himself in possession, and from his fast cross , shot, the ball burst the net.
This success did not have the effect of improving the play Aberdeen, who resigned themselves to a policy of defence, and it was no surprise when, after McLeod had failed to clear, Torbet gave Thistle the lead with a lightning shot.

Change in Placings

During the last ten minutes Aberdeen made changes, Yorston going to centre-forward, Hill to centre-half, and McDermid to inside-left. With these placings they became more of an attacking force, and Jackson had several times to clear, while Yorston was only a matter of inches off with a magnificent shot, but the game ended with Thistle hanging on to their lead.

Patchy Aberdeen

While it was strenuous and interesting enough, it was not a good game. Aberdeen were patchy after the first twenty minutes, and all three goals surrendered were the outcome of miskicks. Yuill brought off many clever saves, and Livingstone was a much more reliable back than Jackson. In the first half McDermid accomplished a power of good work, but he was not so effective in the second period until he joined the forward line. Black and McLeod were only moderately successful wing backs, the first-named being handicapped by an injury which necessitated his retiral for a few minutes in the first half. Yorston was easily the best forward, and Love accomplished several smart things in the first half. Smith did not get enough of the ball, and Hill, who really got little chance, did not appear to relish the conditions.
Partick Thistle were finely served by Jackson, O?Hare, and Lambie in defence, the big centre-half being a factor in forcing the play, and of the forwards, Gibson, Fraser, and Ness were best.

Source: Press & Journal, 26th November 1928

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; O'Hare, Calderwood; Richmond, Lambie, E. McLeod; Ness, B. McLeod, Gibson, Fraser, Torbet
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride