Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Heart of Midlothian 3 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, Falloon.

02/01/1929 | KO:


About 16,000 spectators were present yesterday at Tynecastle for the visit of Aberdeen, and saw an interesting encounter, with the result in doubt until the very end. Though the Heart of Midlothian won by 3 goals to 2, it can be fairly said that Aberdeen took as much credit out of the game as did the winners. The visitors' goalkeeper had to be removed to the pavilion on a stretcher in the middle of the first halfas the result of a collision. He sustained slight concussion, and took no further part in the match. Aberdeen were leading by 1 goal to 0 when the accident occurred, Yorston having scored Immediately afterwards Smith equalised for the Hearts. Just before half-time Falloon put Aberdeen ahead again. The second half was well advanced befor Murray put the Hearts on level terms, and only eight minutes remained for play, when A. Miller headed the deciding goal, following a well-placed free kick by Kerr.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 3rd January 1929

Aberdeen concluded a heavy New Year programme at Tynecastle yesterday afternoon, when, before 14,000 spectator they lost by the odd goal in five to Heart of Midlothian.
The Pittodrie team, playing with ten men for more than three-quarters of the game, gave a gallant display, and were unfortunate not divide the points. Yuill was injured jumping to a high ball from Murray twenty minutes after the start, and was off for the remainder of the match. Despite this severe handicap, it was Aberdeen who took the lead and held the advantage at the interval.

Impromptu Changes.

McLaren took Yuill's place in goal, and although unorthodox, brought off many clever saves. McDermid dropped back to the centre-half position, and Smith was left sole possessor of the left flank.
On the slippery and treacherous ground Jackson and Livingstone were a sound pair of backs, while the mid-line, despite the fact that it had to be rearranged, as a whole played up well after they had adapted themselves to the conditions. Although Hearts did most of the pressing, the Aberdeen attack was always more dangerous. The outstanding men in this department the team were Smith, Yorston, and Wilson.

Luck of The Hearts.

Hearts were lucky to collect both points and it was only in the last few minutes of the game that they managed to snatch the winning goal. Although sound in defence they were weak in attack, their forwards lacking punch in the goalmouth. The home team were best served by King, Shaw, Smith, G. Miller and Murray.

The Run of the Play,

After a brisk opening by Hearts Smith got away on the Aberdeen left, but the home defence was sound. Play was quickly transferred to the other end where Yuill held a good effort by Smith. Shortly afterwards smart work on the home left wing resulted in A. Miller heading weakly over. At this stage Yuill had to retire. With ten men Aberdeen took the lead. Falloon got away on the right and crossed accurately for Yorston to head into the net. Hearts attacked with renewed vigour and Smith with a fast grounder soon put them on level terms.
Hearts kept up the pressure and Aberdeen were kept mainly on the defensive. Close on the interval Aberdeen again took the lead; a shot by Falloon rebounding off the post into the net.

Hearts' Late Goal.

On the resumption Hearts once more assumed the role of aggressors, and McLaren held good efforts from G. Miller and Smith. Aberdeen were seldom out of their own half of the field, but when they did get going they were always dangerous. The Aberdeen goal ran a narrow escape when a header by A. Miller struck the crossbar, and McLaren a minute later had to deal with a shot from G. Miller. Aberdeen broke away and Smith missed a good chance when he shot past after McDermid had drawn the defence. The home team were ultimately rewarded when Murray secured the equaliser. McLaren in the Aberdeen goal was kept busy, and distinguished himself with several clever saves. Eight minutes from the end, however, he had to admit defeat to a header by A. Miller. Hearts tried hard to increase their lead, while Aberdeen went all out to level matters. Neither were successful, however.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd January 1929

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
Harkness; Herd, King; Kerr, Shaw, Bonnie; Smith, A. Miller, Cowie, G. Miller, Murray
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Referee: R. Innes, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead