Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 6 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 4, Yorston 7, McDermid 43, Wilson 55, Cheyne 59, Cheyne 85.

12/01/1929 | KO: 14:30


A happy augury for the forthcoming Cup-ties was Aberdeen's smashing victory by 6 goals to 0 over St Mirren at Pittodrie. The game, which was less one-sided than is indicated by the score, was greatly enjoyed by the 14,000 spectators, and was brimful of incident. Aberdeen were always on top, and in all departments, from goal to centre-forward, held an advantage over the visitors. The home defence was particularly sound, and with McHale back in position, the play of the half-backs was a vast improvement on that shown against Hibernian a week earlier. Cleverly led by Yorston, the Aberdeen forwards were dangerous practically every time they attacked, and it reflected all-round effectiveness that the six goals were shared by five players. Although having much less to do than Page in the St Mirren goal, Yuill was severely tested on several occasions, and had a few spectacular saves. Both home backs were at the top of their form, particularly Livingstone. All three half backs shone. McHale was a powerful destructive player, who defied the efforts of the Paisley inside forwards to combine, and gave no latitude to McCrae, who for once drew a blank at Pittodrie. Black and McLeod excelled in accurate tackling and placing, and they gave every support to their forwards.

McHale's Handicap.

The latter played delightful football, and there was not a weak link in the line. McDermid and Cheyne schemed and made openings for colleagues with great success, and Yorston was in deadly shooting form. It was the most convincing display given by the Aberdeen attack this season. For the greater part of the game McHale played under handicap. At an early stage he collided with an opponent and sustained a nasty cut above the right eye. The injury troubled him for the remainder of the game, but he pluckily carried on. After the game he had to have the wound stitched.

Plucky St Mirren.

Although badly beaten, Mirren earned the admiration of the spectators for the pluck they showed in fighting back as reverse followed reverse. Page brought off many capital saves but he was not blameless in missing crosses that led up to at least two of the goals. The backs Hay and Lilley, were none too sound, but they had the excuse that they were overworked. Of the half-backs, Walker at centre-half found Yorston too quick and elusive, and Colquhoun and McDonald, on the wings, were easily out-manoeuvred. The forwards were the best department of the Paisley team. The left wing of Rankin and Connor was often prominent, but with McCrae firmly held by McHale their passes to the centre were ineffective.

Yorston's Two.

The game was only four minutes old when McDermid slipped the ball up the centre for Yorston to run on and slip the ball into the net as Page advanced to intercept him. St Mirren retaliated on the left but Livingstone cleared, and then Aberdeen got another goal. Wilson sent over a high ball which Page faied to reach, and Yorston, close to the poet, headed through. A capital effort by McCrae missed Yuill's charge by inches. Subsequently Aberdeen again took up the attack, and Cheyne had three terrific drives blocked in quick succession by defenders. Near the interval Smith raced away, and from the winger's pass McDermid found the net, the ball first striking the post.

Cheyne's Crash Goal.</p. St Mirren had rather the better of the exchanges for the first ten minutes after resuming, but Yuill did not have much to do. Aberdeen, when they again took up the running, were very dangerous, and it was no surprise when, after Smith had centred and Page had missed. Wilson netted from close in. A fifth goal followed shortly afterwards, McLeod finding the net from a terrific free kick at twenty yards' range. This goal completed the discomfiture of St Mirren and Cheyne brought Aberdeen's total to six when he accepted a pass by Wilson to crash the ball into the net at great speed.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th January 1929

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Page; Hay, Lilley; Colquhoun, Walker, W. McDonald; Dyer, Gebbie, McCrae, Rankin, Connor
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: C. Ritchie, Leith
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen