Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Queens Park

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Queens Park

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Smith, Yorston, Yorston, Yorston.

02/02/1929 | KO: 15:00


Play in the early stages was level, both goals being attacked in turn. A header by McLelland just missed the Aberdeen goal, but the home side pressed harder, and Queen's Park were kept on the defensive for some time. Late in the period Smith opened the scoring for Aberdeen. In the second half Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges, securing three more goals without response from Queen's Park.

Drawings: £1356

Source: The Scotsman, 4th February 1929

Aberdeen's Decisive Win Over Queen's Park.


Aberdeen were in brilliant form at Pittodrie, where they decisively beat Queen's Park by 4 goals to 0. The game attracted the biggest crowd of the season, 21,363 paying £1256 3s 6d for admission.
It was a great struggle, especially in the first half, and although the score would suggest the game was one-sided, it was not so, but Aberdeen generally had the pull. The excitement among the spectators was intense at times, and a clean and sporting game breathed the cup-tie atmosphere from start to finish.

Story of the Game.

Queen's Park were first to make the running, and Livingstone broke up a promising movement between McAlpine, McLelland, and Chalmers. A free kick by McHale saw Peden save for a corner. The flag kick was cleared, and subsequently Livingstone foiled a run by Crawford, and McDonald shot high from long range. Cheyne led Aberdeen to the other end, where Yorston missed with a back-heeler. Following this, Queen's Park had a chance to take the lead, but McLelland, with only Yuill in front, sent wide. Shortly afterwards the amateurs' centre forward was again at fault when he attempted a " first-time" shot after Crawford had crossed.
Subsequently the Aberdeen attack developed danger. Smith dashed away to cross and Yorston's shot was blocked by Walker. At the other end from a centre by Nicholson, McLelland headed just wide of the Aberdeen goal. Aberdeen returned to the attack and Love had a shot saved by Peden at the foot of the post. Maintaining the pressure, Aberdeen forced another corner, and Black shot over, and in another attack Smith shot against the crossbar. At this stage Aberdeen kept up a vigorous offensive. A great drive by McHale flashed outside of Peden's goal and McLeod followed suit with a similar effort.

The Opening Goal.

McAlpine frequently troubled the home defence, and following good work by him, Crawford forced a corner which was cleared at the expense of another.
Towards the interval Aberdeen applied relentless pressure. Cheyne shot against the post and Peden brought off a smart clearance from Love.
Three minutes from half-time Aberdeen took the lead. Cheyne shot twice in quick succession and his second effort was palmed out by Peden to the foot of Smith who easily tapped the ball into the net.
Aberdeen immediately attacked when the game resumed. From a centre by Smith, Cheyne headed against the cross-bar. The amateurs continued to be kept on the defensive and it was no surprise when Aberdeen got a second goal. McDermid started a movement and Yorston ran through to accept an oblique pass from Love and turn the ball into the net well out of Peden's reach.

Amateurs Fight Back.

After this reverse Queen's Park fought back splendidly. A drive by McAlpine was blocked by Livingstone, and Yuill had to field a high ball from Chalmers. Cheyne and Yorston at the other end had the Queen's backs in difficulties, and Yorston ran through to just miss the goal. Peden saved from Love and then the keeper's body stopped a fierce shot by Smith, and after a scramble Wiseman cleared when another goal looked imminent for Aberdeen.
It was not long delayed however. Smith broke away on the left and after outpacing McDonald and Walker, whipped over a centre for Yorston to jump high in the air and head into the net. This success aroused great enthusiasm.

Yorston Gets Another.

Although three goals in arrears, Queen's Park fought with fine spirit. Crawford forced a corner, following which Chalmers shot weakly, but later, McAlpine sent against the post. Aberdeen came again and Peden went full length to save from Cheyne, and later cleared from Love.
Yet again the amateurs attacked and Livingstone deflected a ball that would probably have beaten Yuill. The Aberdeen goal-keeper was kept busy for a time. He dealt with shots by Crawford, McAlpine, and Nicholson, and just managed to reach one from McAlpine, who was playing brilliantly for the amateurs.
Near the end Yorston was rewarded with the " hat trick," and got Aberdeen's fourth goal. King essayed a pass back, but misjudged the position of Yorston, who nipped in to turn the ball into the net as Peden ran out to intercept.

Aberdeen's Superiority

Except in goal, where both teams were finely served, Aberdeen were superior in all departments, and there was not a weak link in the team. Yuill was very safe, and Jackson and Livingston were in top form. The half-backs, Black, McHale and McLeod, were at their best, and in a forward line that carried a punch and played delightful football, Yorston, Love, and Smith were outstanding.
The team work of the Queen's Park was not nearly as good as that of the winners, and the Hampden defence failed to stay the pace. In the rear the amateurs were best served by Peden, Walker, and King. McAlpine was easily the best forward, and occasionally Nicholson took the eye.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th February 1929

Queens Park Teamsheet
R. G. C. Peden; W. O. Walker, W. Wiseman; J. McDonald, R. Gillespie, W. S. King; J. Crawford, W. S. Chalmers, D. McLelland, J. B. McAlpine, W. G. Nicholson
Attendance: 21,393
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. H. Leishaman, Falkirk
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen