Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 3 - 5 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Third Round
Falkirk scorers: Gall 2, Morrison (Pen)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, Yorston 14, Yorston 47, Smith 80, Yorston 83.

16/02/1929 | KO:

ABERDEEN FOR THE FOURTH ROUND. Yorston's Scoring Feat in Cup-Tie at Falkirk.

Falkirk and Aberdeen provided the fastest and most exciting tie of the round. Falkirk scored early, but Aberdeen equalised and took the lead near the interval. A third goal was added by the Northern team on the restart, but a vigorous attack by Falkirk produced a second goal, and a penalty award enabled them to equalise. In an attempt to finish Aberdeen scored two additional goals and recorded the surprise of the round. Yorston, the Aberdeen centre, was the personality iin the victory, as he scored four goals.

Falkirk took the lead in six minutes, Gall heading past Yuill. Aberdeen, however, forced the pace, and Yorston equalised. Near the interval Yorston gave Aberdeen the lead. Early in the second half Yorston scored again, but within ten minutes Gall brought the scores even again. A minute later Morrison scored from a penalty kick, and later Smith added a fourth goal and a fifth was added by Yorston.

Drawings: £495

Source: The Scotsman, 18th February 1929

Aberdeen Excel.

Brilliant Display at Brockville.

Aberdeen gave a grand display at Brockville Park, where they defeated Falkirk by five goals to three before 12,000 spectator#. The Pittodrie team were worthy winners, and there was no doubt that the better combination qualified for the fourth round of the Scottish Cup competition.
It was an epic struggle, and the issue hung in the balance until ten minutes from the end, when a great rally by the Pittodrie side resulted in the scoring of two goals in quick succession.
Every one of Aberdeen's eleven gave of his best, and to that and superior team work their victory can be can attributed.
The return of Smith, Aberdeen's speedy left winger worked wonders in the attack. Smith was in his brightest vein, and capped a splendid afternoon's work with a great goal, and it was this point which turned the tide in favour of the team from Pittodrie. Yorston, Aberdeen's diminutive centre forward, also had a big say in his team's victory, finding the net on no fewer than four occasions. Black was the outstanding man in the mid line, while there was little to choose between Jackson and Livingstone.
Outstanding men on the Falkirk side were Gall, who scored two of his side's goals; Morrison, their prolific goal-scoring centre forward, who counted from a penalty; Hume, and McGinnigle.
Play swung from end to end at the start, 4 but with seven minutes gone, Gall fastened to a weak clearance to give Falkirk the lead. Nettled by this early reverse, Aberdeen attacked vigorously and after Ferguson had saved from Smith, a shot by Yorston was blocked. A minute later a header by McDermid was sleared, and then a shot by Cheyne struck the crossbar and went behind.

The Equaliser.

After fourteen minutes' play Yorston equalised from an adroit centre by Smith. Falkirk took up the running, and Yuill ran out to clear from Morrison. Smith got through at the other end, and Ferguson did well to deal with his parting effort. Play was of the end-to-end order, and both custodians were constantly in action. The Aberdeen defence was caught napping when Gall collected a cross from Cox, but the inside forward sent narrowly past.
Play was quickly transferred to the other end where shots by Love and McDermid went near.
Following a brisk raid by Falkirk in which Yuill saved from Muir, Aberdeen took the lead through Yorston, who hooked home a centre from Love. Falkirk attacked without avail until the interval.

Yorston's Hat Trick

The game resumed with a brisk Aberdeen attack, and after two minutes' play Yorston scored a third goal off a pass from Smith. Love, the Aberdeen right winger, was injured and had to retire for a short time. Following this Aberdeen had a bad two minutes. Yuill saved a free kick from Hume, but was bundled over the line by Gall. Immediately afterwards the home team were awarded a penalty, and from the spot kick Morrison put his side on level terms.
Aberdeen afterwards attacked spiritedly, and shots were rained upon Ferguson's charge, which bore a charmed existence. With ten minutes to go Aberdeen rallied, and Smith rushed through to give his side the lead with a fast grounder and three minutes later Yorston put the issue the beyond doubt. Until the finish the exchanges were of a fairly even nature with Aberdeen still superior.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th February 1929

Falkirk Teamsheet
Fergusson; Scott, Hume; Kennedy, McGinness, Mair; Cox, Russell, Morrison, Gall, Bell
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen