Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Love 70, Love 80.

31/08/1929 | KO:


Fast exchanges marked play, and both goals underwent narrow escapes from the respective right wings. Love for Aberdeen, was prominent with one or two good shots, but Paterson in the Airdrieonians' goal, was not to be beaten. Ten minutes from the interval Morrison, the home centre-half, was injured and, on the restart was absent. With ten men Airdrieonians put up a good fight but two goals by Love gave the slightly superior eleven the victory. Paterson in the home goal gave a fine display, and the home side without Morrison were unfortunate in having to admit defeat.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd September 1929

Love Gets Two Goals at Airdrie.

Aberdeen registered their second successive away win of the season by defeating Airdrieonians at Airdirie by two goals to nothing. In every respect it was a splendid performance, and the fact that the Pittodrie team kept their goal intact for the first time this season will be re-assuring to the club's supporters, who were greatly concerned about this department of the team.
It was a hard and fast struggle, both teams striving might and main, and because of the keenness, it was not surprising that there were numerous interruptions on account of injuries to players. Both teams finished a man short, and the injuries in both cases were accidental.
Morrison, the Airdrie centre-half, developed cartilage trouble before the interval, and after a brave attempt to carry on was forced to retire. He made to resume in the second but his knee gave way on leaving the pavilion, and he had to be assisted back.
The other casualty was Black, the Aberdeen right half, who was carried off on a stretcher ten minutes from the end. He received the full force of an opponent's shoulder under the chin, and was rendered unconscious. Later he recovered in the dressing-room, and required to have two stitches put in the wound. It will be re-assuring to the club's supporters to know that he will be quite fit for the big match with Rangers at Pittodrie this week-end.

Worthy Winners.

The injuries to Morrison and Black had an unsettling effect on the play of the teams, but Aberdeen were worthy winners and were not flattered by the score, in fact they ought have won much more easily. Throughout, both goal keepers had a lot to do. Paterson, the Airdrie custodian, was the busier, and the fact that he received an ovation as he went off at the close, showed his work was appreciated.
The first half was goal-less, but ought not to have been. The nearest to a score came near the interval when, after brilliant combination with Yorston, Cheyne ballooned when close in front of goal. Both goalkeepers were repeatedly in action, and they distinguished themselves. Yuill saved at point blank range from Skinner, but apart from this while often handling, none of the shots gave him much trouble. Paterson, on the other hand, had more difficult shots to deal with. Yorston, Love, and Smith tested him to the full, and he was repeatedly applauded for his brilliant work. It was largely due to the goalkeeper's sterling play that Airdrieonians were able to participate in the goal-less first half.

Goal Scoring Period.

Although the first half had always been interesting, the real thrills of the game came in the second period. Airdrieonians set up a brisk attack at the start, but gradually Aberdeen took the upper hand. They attacked persistently, and frequently the home defence was in dire straits. Paterson brought off many smart saves, and one of the best was when McQueen miskicked and the keeper got the ball low down beside the post.
Twenty-five minutes of the period had gone when Aberdeen took the lead. Hill, from a free kick, lobbed the ball forward to the right, and Love, from a difficult angle, shot into the net.
The Airdrieonians forwards were not idle, and Yuill was several times called upon. There was an appeal for a penalty kick by Airdrie, but the referee, after consulting his linesmen, decided in Aberdeen's favour.
Ten minutes from the close Aberdeen got a second goal. Smith dashed away on the left, and his terrific cross-shot was deflected by Paterson to Love, who headed into the net at close quarters.
Aberdeen should have gone further ahead shortly afterwards when McDermid shot past with only the goalkeeper in front.

Improvement in Defence.

Airdrieonians were seriously handicapped by the long absence of Morrison, but even when the home team was at full strength Aberdeen always appeared to have their measure. The Aberdeen forwards worked finely together, albeit they lost several fine chances of scoring. There was a big improvement in defence. Hickie did not start off too well, but as the game progressed he gained in confidence, and made few mistakes.
In defence Aberdeen were splendidly served by Yuill, Livingstone, Black, and McLaren, and the best of a dangerous forward line were Love, Yorston, and Smith.
Paterson kept goal brilliantly for Airdrieonians, and saved his team from a heavier defteat. Crapnell was much the better back, and Burke was the best of the half-backs. In attack the outstanding players were Skinner and Paterson (J.). There were 5000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd September 1929

Airdrie Teamsheet
Paterson W; Crannell, McQueen; Burke, Morrison, Sharp; Paterson J, McDonald, Skinner, Bertram, Somerville
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: A. Stewart, Ardrossan
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen