Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Cowdenbeath

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith 22, Yorston 80.

09/11/1929 | KO: 14:45


Saturday was a shock day in the Association sphere, when surprises and high scoring were the order. In the First Division of the Scottish League, only Aberdeen and Rangers of the top-placed teams were winners, Celtic, Hearts, St Mirren, and Partick Thistle all taking the count, and Kilmarnock dropped a valuable point at Airdrie.

While Aberdeen might have beaten Cowdenbeath at Pittodrie by a crop goals, it might justifiably be said they were fortunate to win by a 2-0 margin. The visitors lost at least two golden opportunities of scoring, and had these been accepted there is no saying what might have happened. It was a rousing tussle with much bright forward play, and the pace was maintained throughout. There were about 14.000 spectators.
Aberdeen were sprightly in attack in both periods of the game, and it may be that concentration on offensive weakened their defence, which was frequently spreadeagled and it was the merest chance that disaster was averted more than once.

McHale in Form.

Aberdeen had much the more dangerous attack, which moved very fast and shot hard but not always straight. Love, Cheyne, McDermid, and Yorston all sparkled, but Smith has been seen to better advantage. The winners were also superior at half-back, where the trio forced the game better than those of Cowdenbeath. McHale, the home pivot, was one of the outstanding players on the field, and played his best game this season.
The home backs, while good at times, were none too sound, and were often found too far apart. Yuill in goal was a model of reliability.

Great Goalkeeping.

The goalkeeping Middleton, for Cowdenbeath, was ono of the features of the game. He gave a masterly display, particularly ibn dealing with the many high shots that came his way. Johnstone and Moyes were two dour backs, who put up a spirited resistance to Aberdeen's many dashing attacks. Frame was the best in a half-back line that fell short of the Aberdeen standard.
The weakness of the forwards was in finishing. Lindsay, Higgins, and Campbell had powerful efforts, but they lacked proper direction. Lindsay, who changed places with Devlin at centre-forward after the interval, was the most dangerous of the quintette, and Pullar on the right was a grand raider, but these were not well supported.
Despite the fact that they were faced by wind and sun, Aberdeen were first to be dangerous, and after a shot by Cheyne had been blocked, Middleton saved smartly from Love. The Fife goal ran a narrow escape when a header by McDermid struck a defender, and Yorston failed to meet the rebound properly. Middleton and his two backs put up a stout resistance, especially the 'keeper, who brought off numerous brilliant saves. Middleton saved at the post from Yorston and McDermid shot over.

An Escape.

There was a thrill when Pullar dashed away on the right and Yuill pushed his centre against the crossbar. A scrimmage followed, but the ball was scrambled clear. At this stage McHale was prominent in the home defence, breaking up many Cowdenbeath raids. Yuill held a centre by Pullar, and a great drive by Lindsay missed narrowly.
Love and Cheyne on the home right were ever dangerous and from one of the former's centres, Yorston and McDermid missed, and Smith shot over. Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges, but over-eagerness spoiled their chances.

The Opening Goal.

With 22 minutes gone, however, Aberdeen got a long overdue goal. Yorston let Love away, and from the winger's centre, Smith banged the ball into the net. Jubilated by this success, the home team played up splendidly, and Cheyne missed a grand opportunity given him by McDermid. A surprise shot by Yorston found Middleton in position. In Cowdenbeath breakaway, Campbell with the home defence spreadeagled, shot over from close range. Just on the interval another Fife raid almost bore fruit, Devlin striking the crossbar.

Change of Position.

When the game resumed Devlin and Lindsay changed places. Aberdeen were again first to be dangerous, Middleton saving from McDermid. Cowdenbeath made progress on the right and Higgins sent wide from a Pullar centre. Following end to end play, a vicious drive by Love flashed over Middleton's charge, and the 'keeper fisted clear from Smith. Higgins missed a chance of equalising when he failed to collect a Pullar cross. Play was quickly transferred to the other end, where Middleton saved in rapid succession from Smith, Love, and Hill. A spirited counter attack by Cowdenbeath had the Aberdeen goal in danger, but Lindsay, with only Yuill to beat, sent over. The Aberdeen defence was far from steady under pressure, and on one occasion only a brilliant full-length save by Yuill from Campbell saved the situation.

Aberdeen's Second.

In an Aberdeen raid Hill slipped the ball to Yorston, and the latter, dodging the backs, ran on to tip the ball past Middleton into the net. Following this success Aberdeen's superiority was marked, Middleton did well to save efforts from Cheyne and Love.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th November 1929

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet
Middleton; Johnston, Glancy, Frame, McMahon, Pullar, Lindsay, Devlin, Campbell, Higgins
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen