Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 0 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, Yorston, Yorston.

01/01/1930 | KO:


The rousing encounter between Dundee and Aberdeen at Dens Park yesterday was clouded over by an unfortunate accident which befell Proctor, the home team's left back, early in the game.
Playing in only his second League match, Proctor sustained a double fracture of the left leg when tackling Yorston at the time when the Aberdeen leader scored his first goal. Proctor was removed to the infirmary and the medical opinion is that he will never play again.
Yorston notched another goal before the interval, and went on to complete his "hat trick." He and Cheyne were prominent in the Aberdeen forward line, which moved with delightful precision, but on the whole Aberdeen were not worthy such a wide winning margin, and the result might have been very different had not Dundee lost the service of Proctor. As it was, play was fairly evenly contested, and with a penetrative forward line Dundee would have made short work of the Aberdeen defence, which was always shaky.
The game was very vigorous throughout, and Dundee were unfortunate with regard to minor injuries. Their best men were Marsh, Brow, McCarthy, Blyth, Milne, and O'Hare. Apart from the forwards, Black was the only man in Aberdeen's team whose play was above the average.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 2nd January 1930

Aberdeen made a brilliant start yesterday with their programme of New Year games when, at Dens Park, they defeated Dundee by three goals to nil. In the course of a stirring struggle several players were injured, the most serious being Proctor, the Dundee left back, who sustained a double fracture of the left leg. The game provided a personal triumph for Yorston, the Aberdeen centre-forward, who registered the hat trick.

Aberdeen thoroughly deserved their victory, and it is questionable if Dundee could have prevented them from winning even if Proctor had escaped injury.
The game was about twenty-three minutes' old when Aberdeen took the lead Cheyne sent the ball towards the left, and Yorston and Proctor both made to meet it. The centre-forward, with his usual nippiness got there first, however, and shot low into the net. The two players collided, and both were hurt. Proctor was carried off on a stretcher, and after it had been found he had sustained a fractured leg, he was removed to the Dundee Infirmary. Yorston, who was hurt on the leg and shoulder, was able to continue after being attended to the trainer.

Dundee's Handicap.

Proctor's mishap had a disconcerting effect on Dundee. Previously they had not particularly distinguished themselves either in attack or defence, and had largely Marsh to thank for not being earlier in arrears. Yorston, Dickie, Love. Smith, Hill, Black, and McLaren had all creditable tries, which had either been negatived by the home goalkeeper or had just missed. Dundee, the other hand, had frequently been dangerous, and Yuill distinguished himself with fine saves from Milne and O'Hare.
After the retirement of Proctor, Dundee adopted the one-back game, but although their forwards on several occasions fell into the offside trap, Aberdeen easily held the upper hand, and it looked to be only a matter time before they went further ahead.

Another for Yorston.

This they ultimately did.
Love raced away and centred on the right of the goal for Yorston to jump high and head past Marsh from a difficult angle.
O'Hare on several occasions got the better of Cooper, and Yuill had twice to save from the Dundee left-winger. On one occasion Milne got clean through, but Yuill saved his shot from point-blank range. Until the interval Aberdeen had much the better of the argument, and were well worth their 2-0 lead.

Players Injured.

The second half was marred by injuries to several players, and both trainers were frequently called upon. As in the first period, Aberdeen were again on top, and Marsh brought off some fine saves, notably from Love, Cheyne, and Yorston. Yuill, on the other hand, although having much less to do, was frequently in action, and O'Hare and Robertson tested him to the full.

Yorston's Hat-Trick.

On the whole, the play however ruled greatly in favour of Aberdeen, and several times Yorston went within an ace of scoring. Ultimately the little centre-forward was rewarded when he followed up a return, to dart through between Brown and the advancing Marsh, and slip the ball into the net.
Immediately afterwards he netted again, but offside had previously sounded.
Three goals ahead, Aberdeen commenced to play ornamental football, and at times their passing was brilliant. They almost got another goal when Yorston worked through to shoot against the post; and Love, Cheyne, Black, and Smith all had creditable tries.

Dundee's Rally.

Most of the danger to Aberdeen came from the home left, and O'Hare on one occasion found the post with a cross-shot while Milne headed on to the top of the bar.
The effect of heavy ground and heavy ball was telling on the players, and both Black and Cheyne were victims of cramp. Robertson and Yorston also required attention, and in the closing stages Love went to centre-forward, Yorston to inside-right, and Cheyne figured on the wing.
Dundee, if anything, were more aggressive in these last minutes, but were well held and well beaten.

An Aberdeen Discovery.

Although Dundee were so decisively beaten, the big crowd of 20,000, which included 2000 from Aberdeen, greatly appreciated the clever play of the Dons' attackers, and did not stint their applause for both teams.
Yuill in the Aberdeen goal was at his best, and while Cooper found O'Hare all too elusive, he played steadily and kicked with power.
All three half-backs were in splendid form. McLaren covered up his backs with rare judgment, and Black and Hill provided ideal backing for the forwards, all of whom touched a high standard.
Dickie, the young Mugiemoss junior, was the discovery of the game. His dribbling, feinting, drawing, and passing were superb, especially in the first half, when he played like veteran.
Yorston, although not quite fit, was the nippiest player on the field and all his goals were the outcome of brilliant efforts. Cheyne too touched international form and Love and Smith were sprightly and deadly wingers.
Dundee were undoubtedly upset by the mishap to Proctor. March served them well and saved them from a heavier defeat. Brown too accomplished good work as a solo back, but at times was overwhelmed by the fury of the Aberdeen attacks. McNab was easily the best of the half backs, and forward O'Hare and Milne in their order were most prominent.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1930


Football Fans Kept in Downpour. NOT ALLOWED INTO STATION.

The jubilation of the two thousand football enthusiasts who went from Aberdeen to Dundee yesterday was considerably damped by the plight in which they found themselves following the match.
It was raining heavily in Dundee all afternoon and evening. Restaurants and places of refreshment were shut. The excursionists from Aberdeen were accordingly at a dead end.
Naturally, they made for the station, hoping to get shelter there from the inclement weather, and possibly - it was a case of hoping against hope - get home by an earlier train, which leaves at 6.28 p.m.
They found to their dismay and wrath that they would not be allowed entry to the station until this train had left.
As time wore on the queue grew in size and the bitterness of its complainings about Dundee and the lack of facilities it offered for the comfort of visitors.


Ultimately practically the whole of the two thousand Aberdonians were swarming outside the station entrance, many, who had been exposed to the rain for hours, being drenched to the skin. One of the crowd of disgruntled ones stated last night: It?s a wonder no attempt was made to rush the station, for it was a temper-trying time of it having to stand about for so long before getting in. The worst it was that there were no places where one could shelter. The ?pubs? were shut, of course, and the few eating-houses that were open were packed full of people ?sitting it out.?

Three Specials.

In the fulness of time the north-going crowd was dealt with by the railway officials. AS the two trains which had conveyed the excursionists from Aberdeen had been overcrowded, three specials were put on to take the passengers home. Had Dundee beaten the Dons it would have been a thoroughly dejected return journey. But the victory of three goals to none compensated for much personal discomfort..

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1930

Dundee Teamsheet
Marsh; Brown, Proctor; McNab, McCarthy, Blyth; Nelson, Milne, Campbell, Robertson, O'Hare
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Yuill, Cooper, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Cheyne, Yorston, Dickie, Smith.
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: M. C. Hutton, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen