Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 7 - 0 Raith Rovers

Scottish Cup First Round Replay
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, McDermid, McDermid, Cheyne 12, McLaren 29, Yorston 89, Smith 90.

22/01/1930 | KO: 14:15

ABERDEEN'S EASY PASSAGE TO SECOND ROUND. Raith Rovers Beaten by Seven Clear Goals.

At Pittodrie, Aberdeen experienced practically no difficulty in qualifying for the second stage of the Scottish Cup competition, defeating Raith Rovers in the replay of their drawn first-round tie by seven goals to nothing. The scorers were Yorston (3), Cheyne, McDermid, McLaren, and Smith.

Kirkcaldy Team Overwhelmed

The issue was practically settled in the first half, at the end of which Aberdeen held a lead pf 3-0. They ambled through the second period, and goals came easily, two being rattled on in the last two minutes.
The weather broke down before the start, but despite the rain 13,191 persons paid for admission, and the divisible gate was £503. Including ticket-holders, the actual attendance would have been about 15.000, which is highly satisfactory for a mid-week match in the conditions and considering the early start.

Never in Difficulties.

Aberdeen were vastly the superior team from start to finish. There was a period in the second half, when secure in their comfortable lead, they took matters leisurely, and as the result the merits of the Rovers were exaggerated.
Aberdeen set about the opposition right from the opening, and during the first half hour simply overwhelmed the Rovers. Their forwards were on the top of their form, shooting with tremendous power, and passing with wonderful accuracy. Their half-backs supported their forwards in their best style, and with the attack being pushed home so relentlessly, the Pittodrie defence had a comparatively easy task.

Class Tells.

It was a case of class and stamina telling. Raith Rovers were the pluckiest of losers, but that is about all that could be said of them.
Yuill was only called upon to make about three decent saves throughout the game, and the backs, Jackson and Legge, who had a comparatively easy passage, played much better than in the previous encounter.
All three Aberdeen half-backs were on the top of their form, especially McLaren, who was one of the outstanding players on the field.
In forward line that scintillated, Cheyne took first place, but Yorston, McDermid, and Love were also in their brightest moods, and Smith, if not so successful, showed improved form.

Moderate Rovers.

Rovers were splendidly served by Leckie, who brought off many fine saves. At back, Hutchinson and Batchelor were overwhelmed, and it was not surprising that their defence cracked up in the closing stages. Campbell was the best of moderate line.
The Rovers' attack was handicapped by an injury to Beath, who was off for the last twenty minutes of the first half, and he was unable reproduce his best form in the second half. Birrell was crafty and Panther a dashing and dangerous centre-forward, but the line compared very unfavourably with that of Aberdeen.
Aberdeen started in hurricane fashion and in the first minute, with Leckie out of his charge, Hutchinson dropped on the goal line to save a Smith shot.
Splendid combination led to McDermid just missing, and in a rapid counter attack, Yuill saved a centre from Beath.
The Aberdeen attack was irresistible, and twice Cheyne headed narrowly over.
The pace set by the home team was terrific, and it came as no surprise when in the twelfth minute Cheyne headed home a Love cross.
The Kirkcaldy team were almost entirely on the defensive, and Leckie was continually in action. He dealt in rapid succession with shots from all the Aberdeen forwards.

A Second

The Rovers goal had run numerous narrow escapes, and another goal was long overdue. McLaren, with less than half-an-hour gone, eluded four opponents in very clever fashion, and finished with a grand shot which beat Leckie all ends up.
The Aberdeen attack lost some of its sting after this, but was still too much for the Raith defence.
In a furtive Kirkcaldy raid Beath collided with Legge and had to be assisted off the field.
With ten men, the Rovers were overwhelmed, and from a dangerous Love cross, Yorston popped in a third goal.
Towards the interval the Rovers made a desperate attempt to reduce the leeway, Yuill making a brilliant full-length save from Panther. Immediately after, the home 'keeper punched over another try by the Fife leader.

Beath Returns

With the resumption of the second half, Beath again took the field. The winger proved he had fully recovered by giving Yuill a smart shot to hold.
The offensive was not maintained, however, and at the other end Yorston rattled the woodwork.
The home attack showed brilliant form, but too many fancy touches kept them from increasing their lead.
Smith missed a chance, and then in a Rovers breakaway Yuill dealt with a fast shot by Beath.

Play Uninteresting

Play became of a very uninteresting nature, but things became more lively, when Yorston taking a pass from McDermid, wormed his way through to beat Leckie.
The visitors had still some fight left, but the home defence was sound.
Near the close the Aberdeen forwards again broke loose, McDermid, Yorston, and Smith counting in the closing minutes.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd January 1930

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Yuill, Jackson, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Cheyne, Yorston, McDermid, Smith.
Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Leckie; Hutchinson, Batchelor; Campbell, Hoggan, Drain; Beath, Galloway, Panther, Birrell, Pryde
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Hugh Watson, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen