Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 1 Nithsdale Wanderers

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Cheyne 6, McDermid 8, Yorston 30, Cheyne, Yorston.

01/02/1930 | KO:


The second stage of the Scottish Cup competition did not pass without several surprises being registered. As expected, Aberdeen easily overcame Nithsdale Wanderers, and are now the sole hope of the North. Citadel and Clachnacuddin both fell fighting. Kilmarnock, the cup-holders, were beaten at Hamilton, and mild sensations were the failure of Rangers and Hearts to overcome Cowdenbeath and St Bernards respectively.

Aberdeen experienced no difficulty in overcoming Nithsdale Wanderers at Pittodrie by 5 goals to 1. The visitors put up a plucky fight, especially in the second half, when each team got a goal, but it was a case of class telling.
Aberdeen practically won the game in the opening stages when they got two goals in quick succession, and after that never looked back, indeed they gave the impression that had they so desired they could have won more decisively.

Cheyne's Feat.

A remarkable feature of the game was the scoring of two goals direct from corner kicks by Cheyne, and a third goal followed another of his flag kicks.
Following a vigorous aggressive, Aberdeen took the lead in six minutes, when Cheyne forced a corner and then scored direct. Only other two minutes had elapsed when Cheyne forced another corner and placed accurately for McDermid to head a second goal.
Subsequently Aberdeen had much the better of the exchanges, but the Wanderers defended resolutely, and with Gourlay bringing off some smart saves the Aberdeen attack was defied for about half an hour. Ultimately a shot by Black found the crossbar and Yorston met the rebound to net easily.

Aberdeen Easily Superior.

Shortly afterwards Cheyne forced another corner kick, and the ball glanced into the net off a defender. At the interval Aberdeen were easily worth their 4-0 lead.
For some time at the opening of the second half, the Wanderers were handicapped by being without Murray their left back, who was injured. They were again forced on defence, and Yorston accepted a pass from McDermid to register a fifth goal.

Eased Up.

Subsequently Aberdeen eased up, and the Nithsdale attack became more active.
In quick succession, Yuill had to save from Atkinson, Cunningham, and Ballantyne. In the course of a rally, the visitors were rewarded with a goal, Ballantyne fastening on to a return to beat the Aberdeen goalkeeper with a fast ground shot.
Aberdeen were greatly superior at halfback and forward and were never really stretched to win. They were well served by Legge, McLaren, Black, Cheyne, and Yorston. For the Wanderers the outsanding players were: ?Gourlay, Press, Murray, Gillon, Ballantyne, and J. Cunningham.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd February 1930

Nithsdale Wanderers Teamsheet
Gourlay; Press, Murray; Welsh, Gillon, Cree; Shankly, Ballantyne, J. Cunningham, Allan, Atikinson
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. G. Holburn, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen