Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Simpson 8, Torbet
Aberdeen scorers: Cheyne 48.

19/02/1930 | KO:

Particle Thistle put yet another spoke in Aberdeen's wheel by winning' the League encounter at Firhill Park yesterday by the odd goa in three. Following so closely on the heels of their fortuitous cup-tie victory on Saturday, the Thistle had reason to be specially proud.
Still, while Partick were blessed with luck pulling off the all-important cup-tie, the Goddess of Fortune had little nothing to do with yesterday's narrow win. All the same, if the result had been a draw there would have been no quarrelling between rival partisans.
From these observations it will readily be seen that the match was a pretty close affair, and, briefly, this is how it went.

Hard Ground.

Both sides went warily on a pitch as hard as pavement; the scales were held evenly in the balance until, eight minutes from the interval, Simpson opened Partick's account.
Restarting with something like their real form, it took Aberdeen three minutes to get the equaliser, Cheyne, jumping to a palmed-out ball from Jackson, finding the back of the net with a non-stop drive.

The Winning Goal.

Carrying on the good work, Aberdeen kept concentrating on the Thistle defence, which, when it was getting inordinately worried and straggly, was relieved by a snap run by the home forwards, which resulted in the leading and, as it proved, the winning goal. Torbet was the scorer, with a free kick only a few yards out from the penalty area.
Aberdeen, badly stung, set out to right matters, but once again it was not their day on Firhill, and the Thistle, for the second time within a few days, chalked one up against the Cocks o' the North.?

Glorious Individual Effort.

Simpson's goal was glorious individual effort. Running up to collect a forward pass from Grove, the centre, controlling the ball in masterly fashion, left Yuill with no option.
The Aberdeen backs seemed to be in the position of leaving it to each other to tackle the centre, and, as is usual, when backs get into quandary neither of them made the effort.

Cheyne?s Header.

Cheyne?s second-half equaliser followed a stinging cross-shot by Smith. Alick got his head well down to the ball as it came out again from Jackson, and Aberdeen breathed again. In fact, they got their second wind and looked like demonstrating the fact by another goal when in a Thistle raid Jackson committed infringement dangerously near the area where the little white spot is so carefully marked out.
Torbet, the Thistle ?sniper,? got full marks with a marvellous drive which, travelling all the time away from Yuill left the goalkeeper impotent.

Near Thing.

This was the writing on the wall, and though Aberdeen pegged away, and near the end, when Cheyne headed in, came within an ace of crying quits, again bowed the knee to a side, which, though they are not world-beaters are keen and serviceable, and let no opportunity, however slight, pass them by.
Yuill was not to blame for either of the goals registered against him. He kept a good goal. The backs too stuck to their guns, though when very severely pressed, they left the path to Yuill a bit too open. They should cover up the goalkeeper more than they do.

Halves Good Game.

Each of halves played a storming game, Black and McLaren being wonderfully forceful in attack.
Forward, Cheyne, Yorston, and McDermid shone consistently. ?Benny? had a new policeman in Boardman, and he can look after the wee chap better than the giant Lambie.
Due to the centre-half?s attentions, Yorston had not much of a look in, though when not in danger of imminent, ?arrest? he was very nippy and adroit on the ball.

Falloon Does Well.

Falloon did very well in Love's place on the extreme right, though Jackson, in the home goal, was fortunate not to have to deal the usual greetings ?with Love? from this point of attack.
Smith got few chances to shine, and there were no fireworks from his quarter.
The Partick halves once again dominated the game, with the extreme wingers ever ready to carry the battle into the enemy?s camp.

Simpson Dangerous

Grove was an improvement on Miller at inside-right, and Simpson at centre, was in his most dangerous mood.
Compared to Saturday's great game, the match was far from inspiring, but as inferred, the hard, unyielding ground had as much to do with this as the absence of the glamour of the cup. There would not be more than 4000 spectators and they, as also indicated, would have felt quite satisfied if two well-balanced teams had ended all square.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th February 1930

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Sutherland, Rae; Elliott, Boardman, McLeod; Ness, Grove, Simpson, Ballantyne, Torbet
Attendance: 40,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: R. McInnes, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride