Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 3 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Cheyne, Yorston, Cheyne, Yorston.
Kilmarnock scorers: Wales, Smith, Wales

08/03/1930 | KO: 15:00


In a remarkable game at Pittodrie, Aberdeen defeated Kilmarnock by four goals to three. After holding a lead of two goals at half-time, Aberdeen, in a period of seven minutes, actually fell into arrears, but they subsequently rallied, and in the end were worthy winners. Results in the First Division of the League did not alter the situation as affecting the championship and relegation issues.

No cup-tie could have been more exciting, more strenuously fought out or more uncertain as to its ultimate issue, than was the return league fixture between Aberdeen and Kilmarnock at Pittodrie.
Kilmarnock, two down at the interval, sprang a tremendous surprise on resuming, by clapping on three goals in seven minutes, electrified the crowd and caused Aberdeen, who had resumed somewhat leisurely, to begin all over again. It speaks volumes for Aberdeen as a playing force that they were not completely upset by this staggering turn of events but, instead struck an all-conquering game and won well. There are few teams, even playing at home, that could have done what Aberdeen did.
Scoring through Cheyne and Yorston just after the start and towards the close of the first half, during which they were always on top, Aberdeen looked safe winners and on turning about they took command again from the kick-off. Then, three minutes later, the Kilmarnock 'revolution' broke loose with all its devastating effects.

,b>Three Clean Cuts.

By quick thrusts from both wings, the visitors made three clean cuts through the home defence. Wales dashed in to score the first as Blackwell lay prone after saving from the left. Smith, with a clever header cried quits within two minutes, the ball coming to him from a corner forced on the right, and exactly two minutes afterwards Wales repeated his previous score in exactly the same fashion, with the exception that Blackwell was in his goal, though equally powerless to save.
It was then that the Aberdeen forwards demonstrated their class. The lead given by the half-backs, who refused to become panicky, was soon followed by the badly shaken backs; and the forwards, playing brilliantly, proceeded to retrieve the home fortunes, and succeeded with a wee bit to spare. Aberdeen took complete command, and Yorston?s equalising goal, from a difficult angle, was overdue when it came. The Dons were in no mood for trifling, and attack after attack was launched, and in one of these Cheyne beat the defence single-handed, and restored the home lead with the best shot of the match.
It was all up with Kilmarnock, and a fraction of a second after the final whistle, Yorston breasted home a corner kick. Still, the odd goal in seven was all that was necessary.
It was thrilling game to watch, and credit must be given to Kilmarnock for the extraordinary metamorphosis that they brought about. It was this that made the game memorable and, as indicated, but for the home halves keeping their heads, the memory for Aberdeen might well have been a painful one.
Aberdeen were a better balanced side than they have been for some time, and even Love?s absence did not mean so much to the forward movements as it has been doing this last two weeks. Merrie is not a right winger, but what he lacked in craft and speed, he made up for by some beautiful crossing, so that the cohesion near goal was rarely upset.
The reconstructed home defence also did well. Blackwell did not get a really fair test. Though beaten three times, he gave a display that inspired confidence, and he had no chance with the balls that beat him. Indeed, his was a brilliant save from Cunningham when the visitors' first goal was scored as he lay on the ground, and it looked as if Cooper was at fault in not clearing as the ball spun from the keeper's hands. Still, neither of the backs played badly, and it was the whole side showing an inclination to 'let up' after gaining a two goal lead, that could be said to be responsible for Kilmarnock hitting back so effectively.
The home mid-line was very sound, Black and Hill carrying off the chief honours.

The Master Mind.

Cheyne is at the top of his form just now, and he gave another exhibition of masterly inside play. He was the inspiration of the line. Yorston was not in his usual shooting form, but he came next to Cheyne in effectiveness, and it was fitting that they should share the home goals between them.
Smith did some good work on the touch line, and his finishing was much improved. McDermid played his usual unobtrusive game, content to scheme for openings and leave the shooting to his mates, to whom he distributed the ball impartially.
Killie showed that they are a go-ahead side and terribly dangerous if given the least rope. On the whole, however, they were kept well in check. Clemie kept a brilliant goal, and the backs did well to stave off a bigger score against them. Hogg at centre-half, and Wales, Smith, and Cunningham forward were the outstanding men for the visitors.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th March 1930

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Clemie; Roberteon, Nibloe; Morton, Hogg, McEwan; Wales, Smith, Cunningham, Ramsay, Aitken
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride