Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

06/09/1930 | KO:


Ten minutes before the finish of the game at Celtic Park Cummings, the Aberdeen goalkeeper gave away a penalty kick, from which Napier scored, and so gave his side both the points after most people expected a goalless draw to be the result. The goalkeeper had run well out of his goal, and failed in an effort to grasp the wet ball. Tierney gained possession, and was running in towards the goal when the goalkeeper brought him down. Following the kick, Cummings got his hand to the ball but could not stop it.

Weak Marksmen

The game hardly rose to the standard expected, the principal weakness being in the shooting of both sides. Celtic started off very well, and the Aberdeen defenders were somewhat lucky to keep their goal from downfall, but later the Celtic forwards thought too much of working the ball into position, and time and again allowed chances to pass.
Aberdeen's wing half-backs were good enough in defence, but they never lent the same assistance to their forward line as did the opposing trio. McLaren was the strong man in the visiting defence, and time and again he covered up for his colleagues. Smith was the most impressive player in the forward line. Yorston had an extremely quiet day, and he was always well watched by the home defenders. His headwork was clever at times, and on one occasion Thomson just succeeded in turning one of the centre's efforts round the post. There was a period in the second half of the game when it looked as if Aberdeen might snatch a victory, as some of the home defenders became rather uncertain and miskicked the greasy ball. The Aberdeen forwards also miskicked, however, and both Love and Yorston missed chances to score.

Not a McGrory

The young Celtic forwards were very clever in the outfield, and their understanding with the half-backs was good. Napier was the live wire of the front rank, but there were times when he roamed and tried to do too much. Scarff was well held by McLaren, but when opportunity did come his way the centre's attempts at finishing were pretty feeble. Morrison the ex Croy junior, who was making his forst appearance for Celtic at right back, played a good enough game, but his clearances were rather uncertain at times. Wilson was the pick of the half-backs. Aberdeen were perhaps unfortunate to lose as they did, but over the whole game the home side were the better lot.

Source: Glasgow Herald 8th September 1930

When the spectators had become reconciled to a goal-less draw Celtic got a late penalty award against Aberdeen at Celtic Park, and won by a goal scored from the spot.
It was an unusual incident that led up to the score. Cummings out of his goal, failed to get possession when he went to field a high ball from the Celtic right. Napier and Tierney, the home left wing who fastened on manoeuvred for a few seconds, and Cummings in rushing hack to his goal pushed Napier from behind to leave the referee no alternative to awarding a penalty kick, which was converted by Napier.
On the run of play Celtic deserved their win, but Aberdeen put up such a dogged fight that few would have grudged them a draw - indeed there were periods when they looked as if they might snatch a win.

Many Chances Lost.

It rained throughout the game, the unfavourable conditions kept the attendance to only about 12,000. The pitch was very soft and greasy, and the heavy ball troubled the players, especially the goalkeepers.
Celtic were very prodigal of their chances, indeed their inside forwards, and particularly Scarff, had several amazing misses. Aberdeen, too, did not make the best of what came their way, but did not nearly have the same number of opportunities that fell to Celtic.
There was more combination and nippiness on the part of the Aberdeen attack, the Celtic forwards excelling in individual trickery which was rendered ineffective by the tirelessness of the Aberdeen defence, which, despite the misses of the Celtic forwards, carried off the honours of the game.

Outstanding Players.

Cummings and John Thomson were two splendid goalkeepers, and Cummings' indiscretion was probably the result of inexperience. Of the backs. Cooper and Legge were quite the equals of Morrison and McGonnigle, the Aberdeen right defender playing very steadily.
McLaren played a wonderful destructive game for Aberdeen, and Falloon and McLeod proved capable substitutes for Black and Hill, the regular wing half-backs. Falloon indeed being about the best wing intermediate on the field. In this department Wilson was outstanding for Celtic.
In a smart Aberdeen forward line, Yorston showed touches of his best form, was unfortunate not to score with one of several dangerous headers. On the wings Love and Smith were lively and dangerous, and McDermid a great worker. Dickie, however, found the conditions against him.
In Celtic forward line the wingers, Thomson (R.) and Tierney were best, Scarff spoiling his game by ineffectiveness in front of goal.

Story of Play

Cummings was quickly in action and required two efforts before disposing of a grounder by Thomson (A.). When Aberdeen retaliated, John Thomson saved a stingless effort by McDermid, and it reflected the weight of the ball when McLaren was stunned in heading clear from Tierney.
After fine combination with Smith, Yorston headed into the Celtic keeper's hands, and following this, the latter deflected a great shot by Dickie over the bar.
For a time raid countered raid, with both goalkeepers in action. Aberdeen were the more dangerous side, and in quick succession John Thomson had to fist away from Falloon and Love. Celtic forced several corners, and the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape when Cooper dispossessed Scarff when the latter was about to shoot. Dickie from a Smith centre had a chance but shot weakly, and twice Thomson had to go to the assistance of his backs when they were harassed by Yorston.

Celtic Revival.

Then came a Celtic revival, and Scarff and Thomson (R.) both failed at easy chances.
Cummings had a spectacular fisted clearance from a free kick by Wilson, and Scarff, when only a few yards out, lifted the ball high over with only Cummings in front.
A cross shot by Smith had the Celtic keeper beaten, but the ball slithered behind. Other corners fell to Celtic, but they could not turn their advantage to account. Towards the interval the Aberdeen goal had a series of escapes. Cummings had fisted away from Napier, and the goalkeeper was on the ground when a fierce shot by Thomson (K.) struck him and was deflected. Subsequently the ball was three times lobbed across the Aberdeen goal, but no Celtic head could connect.

Falloon's Great Try.

A faulty pass back by Cooper gave Celtic an early corner in the second half, and after Cummings had run out and missed, McLaren got in front of the ball when Scarff shot towards an empty goal. A burst forward by Falloon brought Aberdeen in play, but Love headed over, and in further Aberdeen pressure McDermid and McLaren both forced corners. These we're negative of issue, but Celtic were lucky when, from a centre by Smith, Yorston headed inches wide.

Goalkeepers' Saves

Wilson raised Celtic hopes by beating four opponents, only to shoot straight at Cummings. Following this Yorston might have netted close in, but he was unprepared when, from a free kick by Falloon, the ball dropped at his feet.
A brilliant header by the Aberdeen centre-forward was deflected with equal brilliance by Thomson, who just managed to push the ball round the post. The Celtic goalkeeper had to save from Dickie, and flag-kick by Smith was cleared.
After a Celtic claim for a penalty had been turned down, Scarff got clean through, but Cummings effected a great save and retained the ball until a free kick came to his aid.
It was after this that the penalty incident which led to Celtic?s victory occurred. Just after the score, Cummings brought off a fine save of a shot by Scarff.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th September 1930

Celtic Teamsheet
J. Thomson; Morrison, McGonagle; Wilson, McStay, Robertson; R. Thomson, A. Thomson, Scarff, Napier, Tierney
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride