Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 4 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 3 Motherwell

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McLaren 44, Yorston 80.
Motherwell scorers: Stevenson 3, Murdoch 5, McMenemy 39, Dowall

13/09/1930 | KO: 15:00


Brilliant play by the forwards at last enabled Motherwell to score a well-deserved victory by 4 goals to 2 over Aberdeen at Pittodrie. It was Aberdeen's first defeat on their own ground since January 1929. The home team, who failed to score from a penalty kick, accounted for the bulk of the pressure, but the finishing of the forwards was poor. The Motherwell attack, on the other hand, not only combined well, but was full of punch.
The visitors started off in great style, scoring twice in the first ten minutes. Stevenson got the first and Murdoch the second. A spell of pressure by Aberdeen followed, but a number of corner kicks was their only reward. Motherwell's third goal was scored by McMeneny with a header from a flag kick. McDermid reduced the leeway before the interval.
Dowall increased the visitors' lead shortly after the resumption. Aberdeen retaliated strongly, and with McClory out of his charge Smith sent in a hard shot. It was a certain counter, but Johnman turned it round the post with his hands. McLaren sent the penalty kick weakly past. Yorston scored a second goal for Aberdeen from close range. Ferrier and Stevenson were outstanding in a splendid Motherwell attack, while Yorston and McDermid were the pick of the Aberdeen forwards.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 15th September 1930


Unbeaten at Pittodrie since January 1929, Aberdeen lost their record on Saturday when Motherwell defeated them by 4 goals to 2. The visitors were deserving winners, being superior in all departments.
Territorially Aberdeen had quite as much of the play, but the passing of the forwards was extremely inaccurate, and there was little combination. The half-backs, too, were below form, and the backs and goalkeeper were unsteady.
Motherwell, whose team work was much ahead of that of the losers, were a well-balanced side, Forward, they carried a strong punch, and were always the more dangerous side.

Unsteady in Defence

Of the Aberdeen attack Yorston and McDermid were best, but as a line this department disappointed. McLaren was the best of the half-backs, and at back Cooper was more reliable than Legge, who failed to hold the speedy wing opposed to him.
Motherwell were a fast moving combination, and worked with great harmony. Forward, they were finely served by Stevenson, Dowall, and Murdoch, and in a strong half-back line Craig and Telfer, both of whom were temporarily out of action through injury, were always prominent. Johnman was the better back, and McClory showed fine judgement in leaving his goal to fist clear.

Early Shocks

Aberdeen early fell into arrears, Motherwell scoring in three minutes. Cummings left his goal to fist clear, but only sent the ball to the feet of Wales, and before the goalkeeper could get back, Stevenson had netted. A second reverse followed almost immediately. Dowall made progress on the left, and squared accurately for Murdoch to head into the net.
Subsequently Aberdeen steadied up for a time, and McDermid sent the ball against an upright. Yorston and McLaren, too, had efforts that went close.
Maintaining their revival, they combined cleverly on the right, and Yorston was inches high with a headed effort.
If less frequently attacking, Motherwell were always dangerous, and Cummings was hard pressed to stop and clear a shot from Murdoch. On another occasion the Aberdeen goalkeeper had the ball knocked out of his hands, but McLaren cleared.
After thirty-nine minutes Motherwell got a third goal. Murdoch forced a corner, and from the well-placed flag kick McMenemy headed into the net. Close on the interval Aberdeen opened their account, McDermid accepting a lob forward by McLaren to head into the net while the Motherwell defence stood up and claimed for offside.

Penalty Incident

Although they made the running in the early stages of the second half, Aberdeen were first to surrender another goal. Murdoch dashed away, and from the winger's centre Dowall headed past Cummings.
A sensational incident followed. McClory left his goal to clear from Smith, but before the keeper could regain his charge the ball had been shot hard into goal, where Johnman averted a certain count by using his hands to deflect round the post.
McLaren was entrusted with the subsequent penalty kick, but to the chagrin of the home crowd, shot weakly past the goal.

One for Yorston

With their three goals' lead, Motherwell played well within themselves, and while they were kept on the defensive for the greater part they never lost an opportunity to press home the attack.
The Aberdeen forwards were often in the vicinity of McClory, who was repeatedly in action to high balls, mostly from the wings, but few really effective shots reached him.
Ten minutes form the close Aberdeen got a second goal, Yorston netting from close in after McClory had failed to clear.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th September 1930

Motherwell Teamsheet
McClory; Johnman, Nisbet; Wales, Craig, Telfer; Murdoch, McMenemy, Dowall, Stevenson, Ferrier
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Morrison, Falkirk
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride