Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Ayr United 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Ayr United 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Ayr United scorers: McLaren (o.g.), Tolland
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston.

04/10/1930 | KO:

ABERDEEN WELL BEATEN BY AYR UNITED. Amazing Second-half Collapse.

Sheer determination on the part of an Ayr United team - strengthened by the return of McLeod, their regular half-back - secured for the Ayrshire side their first win under Scottish League auspices this season. McLeod was an outstanding personality throughout the contest, more particularly, however, in the second half, when he completely subdued Yorston.
In the first half Aberdeen played fine football, and only good goalkeeping by Hepburn prevented them from establishing a good lead. At the end of 20 minutes they opened the scoring, Yorston netting a pass from Smith. This advantage the Dons held till two minutes from the interval, when McLaren, in attempting to turn aside a ball from Nisbet, headed it through his own goal to give the home team the equaliser.
Play in the second period was mainly all in the direction of S. Smith, who gave a splendid exhibition of goalkeeping. Only five minutes had gone when he was beaten by Tolland, following a well-placed corner.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 6th October 1930

With the defeat of Aberdeen by Ayr United, all the clubs in the First Division of the Scottish League have won at least one game. There were several surprises, the most notable being the failure of Rangers and Motherwell to get the better of Airdrieonians and Clyde respectively.

After opening the scoring and being the better team in the first half, Aberdeen fell away in surprising fashion at Somerset Park, and Ayr United beat them by 2 goals to 1.
There were about 5000 spectators. On the run of the game, Aberdeen had nothing to complain about in being beaten; in fact, they were exceedingly fortunate not to have a bigger score recorded against them. The halfbacks and forwards faded almost completely out of the picture, and but for the heroic work of Smith in goal and Cooper at back, Ayr United must have piled on a big score. In the first half Aberdeen gave a smooth display, forwards and half-backs combining cleverly, and their lapse of form in the second period was inexplicable.

Good Goalkeeping

Smith in goal gave a great display, effecting many brilliant saves. One of his best was when a high cross from the United left had passed over his head he turned round and, facing his own goal, punched the ball over the bar.
Cooper was a stalwart at back, but Jackson was weak. The failure of the half-backs largely accounted for the defeat. There was a perceptible falling-off on the part of all three in the second half, and, unable to get the ball themselves, they were of little assistance to their forwards.
While they were being supported, the forwards worked harmoniously together, Yorston and the right wing being particularly good, but in the second half they were really never in the picture.

Yorston?s Goal.

The game was twenty minutes old when Aberdeen opened the scoring. McDermid let Smith away to centre, and after Hill had a shot blocked, Yorston nipped in to score a characteristic goal. Aberdeen continued to have the better of the exchanges, and Hepburn effected numerous fine saves, notably from Love, Hill, Yorston, McLeod, and Smith.
When the United looked like falling further into arrears, they got an unexpected equaliser. Nisbet got away to centre, and McLaren in endeavouring to clear put the ball past his own goalkeeper.


There was a transformation after the interval. The Ayr forwards quickly took command of the game, and until the finish never relaxed their grip. Playing with great dash, and swinging the ball about, they, bamboozled the Aberdeen half-backs, who went to pieces.
The period had gone only five minutes when Nisbet forced a corner, and Tolland brushed the ball into the net. Smith making a futile appeal to the referee that he had been interfered with.
Aberdeen raids were few and far between, and practically until the close the game was a duel between Smith and the Ayr forwards, the keeper giving a magnificent display.

Wonderful Improvement.

From being a disjointed side in the first the United showed wonderful improvement. Tolland was the live wire of the attack, but the wingers and Murray were also sprightly. McLeod, who reappeared at centre-half, was a host in himself. McCall was the better back, and Hepburn was very safe in goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th October 1930

Ayr United Teamsheet
Hepburn; McCall, Fleming; Yorke, McLeod, Turnbull; Nisbet, Tolland, Murray, Hart, Ferguson
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Somerset Park, Ayr
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride