Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Queens Park

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston, McDermid, Yorston.
Queens Park scorers: McAlpine (pen)

25/10/1930 | KO: 15:00

QUEEN'S PARK WELL BEATEN. Aberdeen Give Sound Display.

Aberdeen scored a well-deserved victory by three points to one over Queen's Park at Pittodrie Park Aberdeen. There was a last minute change in the Amateurs' defence owing to the absence of T. K. Campbell. It was a keenly contested game, in which any lac of the finer points was made up by the enthusiasm of the players. It was not until midway through the second half that Aberdeen showed superiority.
W. G. Walker and H. Dickie, although overworked in the latter stages, put up a gallant defence, and on two occasions cleared from the goal-line with Peden out of his charge. The forwards showed little combination, although Patterson was responsible for several fine runs on the wing, and McLelland was always ready for a dash through. McLean was outstanding in the Aberdeen attack and was responsible for a number of clever moves. McLeod was a weak link in the half-back line.

McAlpine's Penalty

Yorston opened the scoring for Aberdeen shortly before the interval, but the visitors equalised when Patterson was brought down in the penalty area by Legge. McAlpine took the kick, the goalkeeper stopped his shot, but the amateur regained possession to score. The Amateurs fell away later, and Yorston again gave Aberdeen the lead by netting a shot which Peden failed to get away. McDermid increased Aberdeen's total with the best goal of the match - a first time effort following a pass from Yorston.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 25th October 1930

Queen?s Park were match for Aberdeen at Pittodrie, 12,000 seeing the home team win easily by 3 goals to 1.

Neither side was at full strength, Aberdeen being without Cooper and Hill, and Queen's Park lacked Kerr Campbell and R. Gillespie. Throughout the first half the amateurs put up a splendid fight, but after the interval their resistance weakened, and had Aberdeen won more decisively it would not have been surprising.

Yorston's Leader.

For a long time it was a case of raid countering raid, and both goalkeepers had been well tested before Aberdeen took the lead after fully half an hour's play. Black took a free kick to square in front of the amateurs' goal, and after several players had missed it Yorston deftly turned the ball past Peden.
That goal held the field at the Interval, but according to the chances that had been agoing Queen's Park might easily have been on level terms. On one occasion the home goalkeeper saved at point blank range from Bremner, and at another time he went full length to deflect a shot by Patterson. Aberdeen, however, had the better of the exchanges territorially, and McLean, McDermid, Yorston, and Love all had creditable tries which either miscarried or were countered.

Penalty Goal.

The amateurs' defence survived strong Aberdeen pressure in the early stages of the second half, and in a breakaway by the visitors' right Legge was adjudged to have fouled Patterson in the penalty area. The spot kick was taken by J. B. McAlpine, who netted at the second attempt after the home goalkeeper had blocked his first effort.
For ten minutes subsequently the amateurs gave rather more than they got, and Smith did well to tip a dangerous header from D. McLelland over the bar. The energy of the visitors spent itself, and except for spasmodic rushes they defended for the most part for the remainder of the game.

Yorston Again.

Aberdeen re-established their lead when, after Yorston had let Love away and the latter had shot for Peden to save at full length, Yorston followed up to kick the ball out of the goalkeeper's hands into the net.
Aberdeen always shaped liked winners after this success, and the home forwards had a barrage of shots blocked in front of Peden. The latter, too, was kept busy, and more than once, when the keeper was out of his charge, what appeared certain counters were stopped by colleagues.
Further success was overdue Aberdeen when Yorston slipped a pass up the centre for McDermid to fasten on and shoot a brilliant goal. The Amateurs occasionally broke away, and in one of these raids, following a corner, Smith had to go full length to a header by McAlpine.

McLean Impresses.

McLean greatly pleased on his first home appearance for Aberdeen. He not only kept Smith well plied with the ball, and combined splendidly with others, but his individual touches were a treat. McDermid at inside right appears to have taken fresh lease of life, and Yorston was as usual very nippy and dangerous.
Aberdeen had a big pull at half-back. Black being the best of a strong line, and the backs and goalkeeper were very safe. Queen's Park were admirably served by their goalkeeper and backs, but R. Gillespie's influence was missed in the half-back line, where King was best. In a forward line that was inadequately supported, Bremner and Dr McKenzie were outstanding, J. B. McAlpine giving a disappointing display.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th October 1930

Queens Park Teamsheet
Peden; Walker, Dickie; Grant, McCartney, King; Patterson, Bremner, McLelland, McAlpine, McKenzie
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Dougray, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride