Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 7 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Wilkinson (OG) 16, Merrie 35, Merrie, Merrie, Merrie, Merrie, Merrie.

15/11/1930 | KO: 14:45

MERRIE'S SCORING FEAT. Hibs Outclassed at Aberdeen.

Though the Hibernians played better than Aberdeen at Aberdeen for half an hour, thy collapsed thereafter and were in the end beaten by seven goals to nothing. The Edinburgh side played Miller, of Middlesbrough, an Irish internationalist, at right half, and Aberdeen were without Yorston. His understudy Merrie, had a gala day. The first Aberdeen goal was scored by McDermid, but afterwards Merrie monopolised the goal getting. He was well played-to, but his own work was clever, and he was quick at turning openings to account. At the same time, he missed many easy chances. In the early stages of the game the Hibernians should have scored. Their outfield play was good, and the home defence was weak, though Smith in goal showed some fine anticipation. Aberdeen's first goal came from a quick turning of defence into attack, which caught the Hibernians unawares, and a blunder by Wilkinson in the goal area ended in McDermid scoring. The second came from a header by Merrie, who turned a long drive downfield by Jackson past the Hibernian goalkeeper. An accident to Halligan led to his absence during practically all of the second half, and in that period the Aberdeen forwards ran riot through the Hibernian defence, Merrie having five goals to his credit. The 10,000 spectators were enthusiastic at the result.

Source: Scotsman, 17th November 1930

Aberdeen scored their biggest win of the season so far at the expense of Hibernian at Pittodrie Park. Merrie, Aberdeen's reserve centre, distinguished himself by scoring six of his side's seven goals. The visitors played fine, fast football for the greater part of the first half, and were unfortunate to be two goals down at the interval.
With the loss of Halligan, who was injured in a collision with Hill early in the second half, Hibernian went to pieces. McDermid and Merrie were the scorers in the first half, and the latter added five goals after the interval, when the visitors' defence was overrun.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 17th November 1930

The feature of the game at Pittodrie, where Aberdeen defeated Hibernian by 7 goals to 0, was the scoring feat of Merrie, the home centre-forward.
Deputising for the injured Yorston, Merrie, who was splendidly supported by his colleagues, scored no fewer than six goals - all cleanly and cleverly taken.
At half-time Aberdeen held a lead of two goals, which was scarcely in accordance with the run of play. Up to that stage Hibernian had rather the better of the game territorially, and Smith in the home goal had more to do than Blythe. The home 'keeper brought off several fine saves, yet the Edinburgh forwards had chances to beat him but failed, their marksmanship being erratic. Aberdeen, on the other hand, if attacking less frequently, were always dangerous.

Turning Point.

The turning point of the game came just after the interval when Halligan, the Hibernian inside left, was injured in collision with Hill and had to be carried off. He resumed at outside-left, but the injury recurring, he had to retire for the remainder of the game.
With his retirement Hibernian collapsed, and for the remainder of the game Aberdeen ran riot.
So overwhelmingly superior were the home team that at times they resorted to ornamental work and had they taken all the chances that were agoing, might have won even more decisively.

Smith's Saves.

Smith was the first 'keeper to be seriously engaged. He knocked out a point blank shot from Brown and following up held a fierce effort by Ross who had fastened on. Subsequently he dealt with efforts by Bradley, Main, Halligan, and Brown.
Aberdeen opened the scoring in sixteen minutes when McDermid broke away on the right and from his square pass Wilkinson deflected the ball against the under-side of the cross-bar, and it rebounded into the net.
Hibernian applied pressure after this, and Smith was frequently called upon. For Aberdeen, Merrie shot against the post, and later missed a fine chance by ballooning.

Merrie's First.

After thirty-five minutes' play the centre-forward atoned for his mistake when he got his head behind a long return by Jackson and netted. Smith still had more to do than Blythe, but near the interval Aberdeen were on top, and Love sent against the post.
The second half was only a minute old when Halligan came by the injury that brought about his withdrawal.

Riot of Goals.

Aberdeen immediately took command and accepting a pass by McDermid, Merrie sent through for a third goal. Other successes followed quickly. The centre-forward, although hampered, ran on to convert a pass by Love, and from a corner kick by Smith he headed a fifth. Subsequently Hibernian were outclassed. Merrie side-stepped Wilkinson to shoot a sixth goal and, while the visitors appealed for offside, he ran through to net a seventh time and complete his double hat trick.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th November 1930

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Smith, Jackson, Legge, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, McDermid, Merrie, McLean, Smith.
Hibernian Teamsheet
Blyth; Wilkinson, Urquhart; Miller, Dick, McFarlane; Brown, Ross, Main, Halligan, Bradley
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Thomson, Glasgow
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen