Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Shankley 73
Aberdeen scorers: McLean 52.

12/03/1932 | KO:


A draw was a good result of the game at Greenock. The visitors excelled in teamwork, but their finishing left something to be desired. Morton were also erratic in shooting, and Black failed badly more than once when well placed. It was not until twenty minutes after the resumption that the first goal was scored by McLean for Aberdeen from a cross by Love. Morton's play improved towards the close, and Shankley obtained the equaliser. The defence on both sides took the honours. All four backs were very steady and sure in their clearances. Love and Beattie played attractive football for Aberdeen, and in the half-back line Falloon gave excellent support to his forwards and kept a close watch on the Greenock centre-forward. Clunas forced on the game for Morton, and was one of the best players on the field. Shankley was a lively raider, and almost scored a winning goal for the local club. The attendance did not exceed 4000.

Source: The Scotsman, 14th March 1932

Shankley Nets a Lucky Goal.


Morton were a trifle fortunate to finish on level terms with Aberdeen at Cappielow. The Greenock team fought hard all through, but Aberdeen played the better football and were value for both points.

Morton's goal had a big element of luck attached to it. Aberdeen took the lead through McLean, who scored a great goal from a Love cross seven minutes after the interval.
Twenty-one minutes later Shankley, in a Morton breakaway, crossed a ball which appeared to be going past, but it struck the inside of the post and rebounded into the net. Smith, the Aberdeen 'keeper, made no attempt to reach the ball. Previous to this Aberdeen had had much the better of the exchanges but the forwards, although good in the outfield, displayed weakness at goalmouth.
Aberdeen were well served in defence, Smith gave a sound display in goal, although he was at fault in not making an attempt to save Shankley's effort.

Cooper and McGill Sound

Both Cooper and McGill tackled strongly and cleared their lines with spped and accuracy. Falloon was also prominent in a defensive capacity, playing the useful role of third back. Of the wing halves, Fraser and Mooney, the latter was best, although both were a trifle lacking in constructive ability.
McLean was most prominent in attack although Love, Beattie, and McDermid showed clever touches. None of the latter trio, however, were great finishers. Donal tried hard all through, but was obviously lacking in experience.
Morton were soundly served in defence by Wilson, McGuire, Clunas and Ritchie, while in an attack which had the same fault as Aberdeen so far as finishing was concerned. Shankley was outstanding.

Play Described

Aberdeen were first to be dangerous, but Wilson was not seriously tested. Donald had a smart overhead try. and a hard drive by Love was only inches wide.
Morton retaliated and Smith punched clear from Anderson and saved at full length from Black. Two corners followed, and then the Aberdeen keeper saved a header from the centre, and Black later headed against the upright.
Aberdeen resumed the offensive, and Wilson punched out a corner from McLean for Love to shoot to past. At this stage McDermid sustained an injury to his jaw.
There were many exciting scrimmages before the interval, but the Morton goal was more often In danger than Aberdeen's.

Aberdeen's Goal.

Play ruled from end to end on the resumption and with seven minutes gone McLean scored the opening goal. This added more zest to the Dons' attack, and Love drove over while offside spoiled another likely move.
Morton came away with a great rally, and with 28 minutes played Shankley broke away on the right to notch the equaliser. The homesters kept up a determined, and Black shot wildly from good position. It was all Morton until the finish, but the Aberdeen defence held out.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th March 1932

Morton Teamsheet
Wilson; McGuire, Smith; Clunas, Hunter, Ritchie; Shankley, Banks, Black, Anderson, McCartney
Attendance: 2,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead