Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 6 - 5 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: McNair, McNair, Grant, Shankley, Batchelor McNair
Aberdeen scorers: Moore, Gall, Beynon, Moore, Beynon.

13/09/1933 | KO:



"Paddy" Moore Pays His Way with Two Goals.

Aberdeen, came off second best in a hectic match at Brockville Park last night, Falkirk winning through by the odd goal in eleven.

The Dons battled gamely to avoid defeat, and almost snatched a point in a great closing rally. If they had done so, Falkirk would have had nothing to complain of.
The two backs, Cooper and McGill, had an unfortunate match, all their mistakes resulting in goals.
Falloon was not a success at right-half. He tried hard enough, but was too inclined to wander into the centre of the field, with the result that the left wing was given too much scope. Gavin, the ex-Ashfield player, gave a splendid display in the first half, tackling and placing nicely, but in the second period he was inclined to lie too far upfield with the result that he left a gap in his own defence. Thomson, who was drafted into the left-half berth, did quite well, his constructive play being excellent.
The return of Moore improved the attack. The Irishman got two smart goals, while he opened up the play nicely.
Mills and Gall were a sound left wing, although the latter was inclined to hang on to the ball too Iong. Benton, on the right, worked nicely, but Warnock did not show up at all well.
Aberdeen made a disastrous start. Cooper and Shankley met in a tackle and the ball bounced off the right-back to McNair whose shot entered the net off McGill.
Following this reverse, the Dons forced the pace. Mills and Gall got away on the left, but the winger's cross was deflected and Thomson, the Falkirk goalkeeper, cleared smartly.
Mills finished a nice run with a terrific drive which just missed the target.

Disaster to Dons.

Further disaster overtook the Dons when Falkirk got a second goal - a rather doubtful one. McNair trapped a cross from Dougall, dashed through and shot first time. The ball struck the under side of the crossbar and bounced out, but Referee Bell awarded a goal despite vigorous protest by the Aberdeen players.
Gall forced a corner on the left, and the goalkeeper required three attempts to get rid of the ball, while he was again in action to stinger by Beynon.
Aberdeen made strenuous efforts to reduce the leeway, but although play was, for the most part, in the Falkirk penalty area, Thomson was seldom seriously tested.
With half an hour gone, the Dons succeeded in scoring. Mills cleverly beat his man, gave to Gall and practically on the line the winger centred for Moore to nod the ball into the net.
The ball had no sooner been re-centred than the Bairns regained their two-goal lead. Grant broke away on the left, beat Cooper, and with Smith out of his charge, shot for goal, and the ball rebounded off McGill into the net.
Five minutes later, Mills gave Gall a chance, but Thomson saved the winger's effort.
Aberdeen got on level terms before the interval. Gall and Beynon finding the net.
Shankley had a great chance for the homesters in the first minute of the second period, but McGill blocked his shot. With five minutes gone the homesters again took the lead. The Aberdeen defence was caught napping. Batchelor got off on the right, and centred for Shankley to bang the ball into the net.
Seven minutes later, Falkirk increased their lead when Batchelor got off on the right and cut in to net.

Like a Beaten Team.,/p> Aberdeen at this stage were playing like a beaten team, and it came as no surprise when McNair increased the home team's score by hooking in a Grant corner.
Aberdeen rallied after this, but it was not until ten minutes before the close that they reduced the leeway, Moore netting from a Gall cross.
A minute later Gall got away on the left. Thomson missed his centre, and Beynon dashed in to drive the ball into a tenantless goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 14th September 1933

Falkirk Teamsheet
Thomson; Nisbet, Hamii; Murray, Low, Hutchison; Dougal, Batchelor, Shankley, McNair, Grant
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Smith, Cooper, McGill, Falloon, Gavin, Thomson, Beynon, Warnock, Moore, Mills, Gall.
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride