Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McKenzie 22, Warnock 40, Devers 50, Warnock 86.

05/10/1935 | KO: 15:00


Dons Triumph Despite Handicaps

All praise to Aberdeen, for their decisive victory over Partick Thistle at Pittodrie. The Dons played under a big handicap in the second half, yet they scored twice. The fighting spirit was always apparent in the Aberdeen ranks, a compliment, one regrets one cannot pay to the Firhill side.
Both teams were without two of their regulars owing to the calls of the International, while Aberdeen, played under the additional handicap of being without Lang, their outside left, who was injured at Dundee in Wednesday's Dewar Shield tie.
The Dons had three reserves in the attack, which was further disorganised by injuries in the second period. Devers, who deputised for Armstrong, received a leg injury just before the interval, and played throughout the second half at outside left.

Ritchie Smith's Injury

Further disaster overtook the homesters when five minutes after the restart Ritchie Smith, who had crossed to the inside-right position - Warnock leading the attack - fell after a collision with McLennan, and was absent for the remainder of the match. He broke a bone in his right shoulder.
Under these circumstances Aberdeen take every credit for their victory. They atoned in some measure for the previous week's debacle, and are now joint leaders with Celtic, who dropped a point at Kilmarnock.
Partick Thistle will have to show considerable improvement on Saturday's display if they intend to climb from the bottom half the League table.
For the first twenty minutes of the match at Pittodrie they gave as good they got, but after Aberdeen opened the scoring they seemed to lose heart and Aberdeen were definitely on top.

McKenzie Shines

While all the Aberdeen players fought courageously, they have much for which to thank McKenzie. The former Hearts player was the brains the attack. He it was who set Aberdeen's feet firmly on the road to victory by scoring a splendid first goal, and his ball control and opening-out work was responsible for many of the home attacks.
Beynon, the only other regular member of the first team attack, got through a tremendous amount of work, especially in the second period, when he filled both the inside and the outside right positions.
He was as lively as a cricket, and his energy and keenness may be gauged from the fact that Aberdeen's fourth goal was scored from a cross from the left by Beynon.
Warnock both at inside right and centre-forward showed any amount of pluck, and took his goals well, while Devers was a nippy leader and dangerous as a left winger.
Fraser and Thomson, the wing halves, were hard working in defence and valuable in attack, They were superior to their counter-parts in the Partick side.

Smith Inspires Confidence

Cooper and McGill were strong tacklers and sure kickers, while Steve Smith, who returned to goal after several weeks' absence, inspired confidence.
He made one brilliant save in the first half when he dived like an acrobat to prevent a try by Wylie from a MacSpadyen slip entering the net.
Cummings was missed in the Partick Thistle defence. Johnstone (R.) was a sound keeper, and had no chances with the shots that beat him, while Calderwood was a good back.
Sutherland at centre-half also worked hard, but neither Baigrie, the former Woodside player, nor McLeod impressed. MacSpadyen and McKennan were the most dangerous Thistle attackers. Wylie, except in the opening stages, was well held by Falloon, while Hastie and McLennan on the left were rarely in the limelight. The former Buckie Thistle player got little rope from Cooper.

Opening Goal

Aberdeen took the lead after twenty-two minutes' play. Devers touched the ball forward to McKenzie from an upfield pass from Ritchie Smith, and the inside left, with refreshing coolness, beat his man and calmly placed the ball in the corner of the net.
Warnock got the second goal five minutes from the interval. Smith sent the ball across after smart work by McKenzie, and it glanced off Calderwood to Warnock, who immediately banged it into the net.
The second half was five minutes old when Devers, then playing at outside left, notched the third goal. Benyon cut in from the wing, beat Johnstone (I.) and sent the ball across the goalmouth for the former Benburb player to find the net.
The fourth goal came in the closing minutes. Devers gave the ball to Beynon, who worked out to the left, and slipped it across for Warnock to find the net from close range.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th October 1935

N.B. Armstrong and Mills were away in Wales on Scotland international duty at the time of this match.
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Johnstone (R.); Calderwood, Johnstone (Ian); Baigrie, Sutherland, McLeod; MacSpadyen, McKennan, Wylie, Hastie, McLennan
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. G. Holburn, Glasgow
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen