Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: Keyes 40
Aberdeen scorers: Strauss 5, Warnock 65.

26/12/1936 | KO:


Stubborn Resistance After Dons' Early Goal


Aberdeen had to fight hard for the points at Brockville on Saturday. Falkirk put up a stubborn resistance, and victory seemed likely to go either way until the Dons scored their second goal.

The loss of an early goal was just the incentive required to rouse the fighting spirit of the home team. They launched attack after attack in an effort to gain the equaliser, but it was not until close on the interval that they succeeded.
Considering the heavy state of the ground the first half was fought out at a terrific pace, but although Falkirk's attacks were more sustained than those of Aberdeen they did not threaten as much danger.

Strauss Scores

The Dons took the lead after five minutes' play following a corner forced by McKenzie. The flag kick was only partially cleared, and when Robertson blocked a shot by Mills Strauss was in position to send into the net.
Armstrong should have done better than send straight at the 'keeper when Shankley misjudged a Cooper clearance. Warnock, too, might well have increased Aberdeen's lead when he changed places with Armstrong, and with a clear run in on goal, shot from the edge of the penalty area instead of carrying on.
Falkirk drew level five minutes from the interval when Falloon conceded a corner. Dawson headed Sneddon's flag kick into the goalmouth for Keyes to send into the net.
The Aberdeen attack was never allowed to settle down to its usual clever, combined football, but an improvement was apparent in the second half. The period was only a few minutes old when McKenzie ran through on his own and sent against the upright, while later Warnock fastened on to a McGill clearance to run across to the left and send against the crossbar.

Two Clever Movements

At this stage Mills initiated two clever movements, one of which yielded the winning goal. The first saw him neatly beat a couple of men and send the ball through to Armstrong for the centre to bring Robertson full length with a hard drive.
The attack which brought the goal was started twenty minutes after the restart. Mills slung the ball up towards the right, and while both Shankley and Robertson hesitated Warnock came dashing in to find the net.
Falkirk had had the better of the first half, but they made a mistake in playing too much to their right wing. Aberdeen held the advantage after the interval, and when they secured their second goal the play of the home team lost much of its dash.
A pleasing feature from an Aberdeen point of view was the improvement in the play of the defence. Smith kept a good goal, and despite the fact that most of the play was on the right wing, Cooper gave the impression that he had recaptured some of his former dash.
McGill had a terrific amount work to do, and although Carruthers gave him a lot of trouble he played strongly throughout. Falloon was a hero in defence and kept a watchful eye on Keyes.
Fraser was a strong tackling and hardworking wing half, but Thomson was not so impressive.

Mills Takes Honours

Mills took the honours in attack. There were long spells when he was seldom in the limelight, but when he did get going he initiated dangerous raids. McKenzie was a forceful inside-right, but although Armstrong was lively he was too closely watched by Shankley to be effective.
Warnock played a useful game on the right, but so robust was the tackling of Nisbet that Strauss he was seldom dangerous.
Robertson, Nisbet and Shankley were best in the home defence, while Corrance and Sneddon were a pair of smart wing halves.
Sharp was the most dangerous attacker. Carruthers started in great style, but gradually faded away, while Dawson on the other wing was given little support, and was too inclined to wander out of position.

Ball Bursts

Thomson, Aberdeen, and Sneddon, Falkirk, burst the ball when they booted it simultaneously during the match at Brockville on Saturday. The players afterwards smilingly shook hands.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th December 1936

Falkirk Teamsheet
Robertson; Nisbet, Hamill; Corrance, Shankley, Sneddon; Carruthers, Young, Keyes, Sharp, Dawson
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: J. Horsburgh, Bonnyrigg
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride