Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 2 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 25, Strauss 27, Beynon 61, Strauss 68.
Partick Thistle scorers: mcKennan 36, McSpadyen 40

09/01/1937 | KO: 14:30


Two Goal Lead Lost in Four Minutes


Except for a short spell before and after the interval the issue in the Aberdeen-Partick Thistle match at Pittodrie was never in doubt.

Even when the visitors drew level as the result of a temporary lapse on the part of the Aberdeen defence, one always had the feeling that the points would go to the Dons.
They were the better balanced eleven and held a big territorial advantage. Only the do-or-die tactics of the Firhill defence prevented the Dons finishing with a more substantial margin.
Although they had the advantage of the breeze in the first half Partick Thistle were for the most part confined to the defensive. Twenty-five minutes had gone before Aberdeen took the lead.


McKenzie worked his way down the right and centred adroitly for Mills to dash forward and neatly head into the corner of the net. Two minutes later Strauss added a second goal when he raced in to meet a through pass by Armstrong and crash the ball into the net.
At this stage Aberdeen were playing football of championship standard, and it is a reflection on the Dons' defence that they lost their lead in the brief space of four minutes.
Partick's first goal came after thirty-six minutes' play. McSpadyen broke through on the right and parted to McKennan, who found the net with a splendid drive from the edge of the penalty area.
Four minutes later McGill was again caught in two minds when McSpadyen made ground. Smith left his goal but failed to clear the winger's cross, and Wallace headed into the net.


With sixteen minutes of the second half played a splendid goal by Strauss laid the foundation of Aberdeen's victory. He temporarily changed places with Armstrong, and with a neat flick sent the centre's pass forward to race on and beat the back and send into the net.
In twenty-three minutes Beynon secured the fourth goal. Strauss blocked a clearance by Elliot, and when the ball was deflected into the middle Beynon sent it flying high into the net.
Aberdeen's defence was not impressive. Smith in goal had a comparatively easy time compared with Johnstone, but his judgment was at fault when Partick scored a second goal. McGill at left back-was weak. He never got a grip of the speedy McSpadyen, and it was from this quarter that Thistle threatened most danger.


Cooper was a sound and reliable right back, and along with Fraser kept the left wing well subdued. The "big man" in defence, however, was Falloon. He gave Wallace few chances, and his sure tackling put an end to many of the visitors' fleeting raids.
Thomson and Fraser were a hardworking pair of wing halves, and they contrived, with a fair measure of success, to combine defence with attack.
Honours in attack go to Strauss, the most dangerous forward afield. He scored two goals, and had a hand in a third. He has a splendid record, having scored twenty-one goals in twenty-two matches.
Mills received a leg injury, but despite this played a useful part, distributing play cleverly. Smart on the ball, McKenzie was a forcing inside forward.
Armstrong seems to have temporarily lost form. He was an enthusiastic leader, but was seldom dangerous. Beynon, on the right, was keen and dashing, but has not yet recovered his best form.
The Partick Thistle defence had a strenuous afternoon, but played pluckily throughout. Johnstone was a good goalkeeper, and Calderwood and Elliot a courageous pair of defenders. McLeod was the better wing half.
McSpadyen and McKennan were the danger men in attack. The former has a grand turn of speed and clever ball control, while McKennan is both forceful and crafty.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th January 1937

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Johnstone; Allan, Calderwood; Baigrie, Elliot, McLeod; McSpadyen, McKennan, Wallace, McMenemy, Gray
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen