Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 1 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Third Lanark

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Dunlop 24, Strauss 36, Strauss 46, McKenzie 51.
Third Lanark scorers: Carabine 17 (pen), Carabine 72 (pen)

13/02/1937 | KO: 15:00


Fears that the strain of a strenuous season was having its effect on the play of the Aberdeen team were dissipated at Pittodrie on Saturday in the second round Scottish Cup-tie against Third Lanark.

The Dons finished good winners, but for the first twenty minutes the Warriors forced the pace, and Aberdeen's prospects looked anything but bright.
Aberdeen were nervous, and there was little team work about their play. What a transformation there was when they lost the first goal. Instead of further upsetting them, it had steadying influence, and from a disjointed company they developed into a strong, fighting force.


Backs and half-backs got a grip of the opposing attack, and such was the improvement that Aberdeen were leading at the interval. In the second half the Dons dictated the run of play, and except for a short spell after they got their second penalty goal Third Lanark were mostly on the defensive.
The visitors opened the scoring in seventeen minutes. When Ritchie stumbled and handled the ball in tackling Yardley, who was breaking through, Carabine made no mistake with the resultant penalty kick.
It took Aberdeen seven minutes to equalise. Both Muir and Strauss failed to reach a forty yards' drive by Dunlop, and the ball finished in the net.
With thirty-six minutes gone Aberdeen took the lead. Smart work by Beynon and Armstrong left Mills in possession. Muir sprawled full length to reach the inside left's shot, but he could not hold the ball and Strauss darted in to send into the net.
Just on the interval McKenzie again had the ball in the net, but between the time he shot and the ball crossed the line the referee's whistle had gone for half-time.


Third Lanark hopes received a crushing blow thirty seconds after the restart. Armstrong made ground before parting to Mills, and the inside left, after drawing the defence, transferred the ball to Strauss.
The winger took it in his stride and ran on to deliver a shot which gave Muir no chance.
Strauss also played a prominent part in Aberdeen's fourth goal, which came after six minutes' play. The South African cleverly beat Carabine before crossing a fast ball which McKenzie smartly headed into the net.
Third Lanark's second penalty goal was scored in twenty-seven minutes. Yardley was tripped by Dunlop. Carabine took the kick and sent in a fierce drive which Johnstone knocked down.
The ball seemed to strike the post before the 'keeper dived to scoop it out. The referee blew for a goal, but the Aberdeen players protested strongly and a linesman was consulted. He apparently agreed with the referee that the ball had crossed the line, for the point was allowed to stand.


After they had got over their initial nervousness the Aberdeen defence played well. Johnstone, in goal, gave an impressive display, his handling and kicking being first-rate. The reserve 'keeper has solved one of the Dons' defensive problems.
Seldom this season has Cooper been seen to better advantage than on Saturday. The right-back was sure in his tackling and confident in his kicking, and held a tight grip Kinnaird all through. Temple, too, was sound. Third Lanark concentrated on their right wing in the hope that the reserve back would not be able to stand the strain. Temple, however, emerged from the game with credit.
Ritchie, who deputised for Falloon, started shakily and was inclined to wait until Yardley had gathered the ball before tackling. He improved later, and by the finish had a good grip of the Cathkin centre.
Thomson and Dunlop, the wing halves, played a big part in Aberdeen's victory. There was a big improvement in the play of both players. After the opening stages Thomson came away in great style, and the manner in which he forced on the attack stamped him as the best half-back afield.
Dunlop, too, played strongly, and this despite the fact that in the early stages he received a leg injury.


The forwards responded in fine style to the promptings of the wing halfbacks, and there were times when their smart combination had the Third Lanark defence at sea.
Strauss and McKenzie were seen at their best. The South African proved himself a real match-winner. He scored two goals and played a prominent part in the two others.
McKenzie was a grand worker, his help in defence and forcing work in attack making him invaluable. Armstrong found it difficult to elude the watchful Denmark, but was an energetic leader and distributed play skilfully.
Mills and Beynon did little of note in the first half, but after the interval they struck form. Mills was clever on the ball and gave Strauss good support, while Beynon crossed many dangerous balls.
Third Lanark fought spiritedly throughout, but after the opening twenty minutes Aberdeen were the better team.


The Warriors' defence had a gruelling time and was often overworked. Carabine never got a grip of the speedy Strauss and had a trying time. McMillan, the former Ross County player, who came in for Hamilton, gave a stout display.
All three half-backs played hard, but were so busy in defence that they could give their forwards little support.
The forwards were fast and clever, but found it difficult to penetrate a vigilant Aberdeen defence. Hart and Mason were best.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th February 1937

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Muir: Carabine, McMillan; Blair, Denmark, McInnes; Hart, Mason, Yardley, Kennedy, Kinnaird
Attendance: 25,314
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Horsburgh, Bonnyrigg
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride