Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hamilton 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hamilton 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Quarter Final
Hamilton scorers: McNee
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 9, Strauss 18.

17/03/1937 | KO:




Greater snap and precision in attack earned Aberdeen the right to meet Morton at Easter Road in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup. Hamilton Acas. at Douglas Park yesterday put up a brave fight in the fourth round of the competition, but victory went to the better team.

It was a hard and gruelling game, played on a ground that was heavy and treacherous, following heavy snow and rain. Despite this, a fast pace was maintained, and, with the issue always in doubt, there was never a dull moment.
Aberdeen gave a sound all-round display, and every man pulled his weight. If some players shone more than others, the principal reason for this was that they had more to do. Armstrong and Strauss secured Aberdeen's goals, while McNee counted for Hamilton. All three points were notched in the first half.
While the Dons might well have won by a more substantial margin than a single goal, Hamilton might equally as well have snatched the equaliser.


The difference between the teams lay in the fact that the Aberdeen forwards played clever, cohesive football and made their chances by sheer subtlety and craft, whereas Hamilton believed in the more go-ahead type of play and relied on being able to seize any opportunities that came their way.
Had they shown a little more thrust Aberdeen might have had four or five goals, and while Accies had fewer chances they, too, might have been more successful in the matter of goals had they been less anxious.
It was a splendid performance on the part of the Dons, and they deserve every credit. Seldom if ever before this season has the team displayed better fighting spirit on opponents' ground.
The Dons' defence had a gruelling time towards the end of the first half for long spells in the second period, but they stuck grimly to their task. There was no cooler player afield than Johnstone, who distinguished himself with a number of clever saves. The manner in which he punched clear under pressure inspired confidence.
Cooper was the busier back. He was opposed to McNee, the Hamilton matchwinner in the tie against Hearts. The right back held his own, but he was caught out of position when the winger scored.
Temple, too, got plenty to do. and although a trifle impetuous at times he played soundly and kept King pretty well subdued. He appeared the freshest man of the twenty-two at the finish.
The half-backs played a big part in the team's victory. Falloon was a hero. Opposed to a fast and dangerous centre forward in Wilson, the diminutive Irishman time and again nipped in to clear when danger threatened.

DUNLOP TWICE INJURED,/p> Dunlop gave splendid display, and this despite the fact that he was twice injured. Not only did he play his part in defence, but worked hard to supply his forwards with the ball. Thomson, although less conspicuous than Dunlop, was hardly less effective.
The Aberdeen forwards played some delightful football, especially in the first half, when their combination and positional play reached a high standard. The ball moved from man to man with machine-like precision, and their two goals were the result of well-conceived movements.
After the interval the forwards were less conspicuous. So hard did Hamilton fight for the equaliser that for long periods the Dons were forced to play the three-forward formation the centre and the two wingers.
Although there were times when he might have made better use of the ball, Armstrong was an energetic leader, and he deserves credit for the manner in which he scored the opening goal. Mills was a clever tactician. He distributed play well, and his ability to hold the ball proved of great value when Aberdeen seemed likely to become panicky.
McKenzie was probably the hardest worker afield. He did excellent work in defence and on numerous occasions he turned the tide by carrying the ball upfield.
Both Beynon and Strauss were dangerous, particularly in the opening half. The South African was closely watched by the Hamilton defence, but this did not prevent him scoring the second goal.

NOT DISGRACED,/p> Hamilton were beaten but far from disgraced. Their defence was set a stiff task in being asked to cope with an Aberdeen attack whose play at times reached brilliant heights.
Morgan was a capable 'keeper, and Wallace, although opposed to the speedy Strauss, was the better back.
The half-back line is regarded as the strong part of the Accies' team, but so busy were they in defence that only for a spell in the second half did they lend their forwards really good support.
Cox was a trifle disappointing, but Jarvie played well, and Thomson worked hard keep Armstrong in check.
McNee was the chief danger in attack, although Wilson proved a fast and elusive leader, and would have scored against a less tenacious pivot than Falloon. Harrison was clever, but was given few chances.


Aberdeen took the lead after nine minutes' play. Armstrong sent the ball across from the right to Beynon. The 'keeper left his charge and blocked the Welshman's shot. Two efforts by McKenzie were charged down before Beynon succeeded in screwing the ball into the middle for Armstrong to lob it over the crowd of players into the net.
Nine minutes from the interval the whole Aberdeen attack combined to produce a second goal. From a McKenzie slip Armstrong and Mills took the ball through, and the centre sent it out to Beynon. The winger beat the 'keeper in a race for possession and turned the ball into the middle for Strauss to run in and send into an empty goal.
The most notable incident in the second period occurred during a magnificent rally by Hamilton, when McNee shot against the upright.
A Wallace free kick led to the Hamilton goal. Wilson headed the ball out to the left, and it glanced off Cooper to McNee. The winger, lying unmarked, had plenty of time to steady himself and send into the net.

Receipts. £495.



There were amazing scenes at Aberdeen Joint Station last night when Aberdeen F.C. team arrived from Hamilton after their Cup-tie victory. When the train steamed in, a crowd several hundreds cheered lustily.
Attempts were made - accompanied by shouts of "We want Strauss" - to carry some of the players shoulder-high, but a strong contingent of police succeeded in making a lane for the players.
The crowd followed the players from the station, but they managed to get clear.
Dunlop, who was injured in the second half, was dazed on the return journey, and immediately on arrival was taken to a doctor. He was found to be suffering from slight concussion and was ordered to stay in bed until visited by the doctor. It is expected, however, that a night's rest will see him well on the way to recovery.

A crowd 300 supporters travelled to Hamilton by special train.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th March 1937

Hamilton Teamsheet
Morgan; Wallace, Scott; Cox, Thomson, Jarvie; King, Gardiner, Wilson, Harrison, McNee
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Douglas Park, Hamilton
Referee: M. C. Hutton, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride