Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 22 (Pen), Armstrong 47, Armstrong 75, Armstrong 89.

14/08/1937 | KO: 15:00




There is every reason to hope that Aberdeen's challenge for honours this season will be as strong as it was last. They got off to a good start against St Mirren at Pittodrie on Saturday, and although their play did not attain heights of brilliance, they were worthy winners.

That the football served up was only of a mediocre standard is accounted for by the speed and keenness of the tackling.
To hang on to the ball was fatal. The quick pass and the open game were the only methods likely to succeed under the conditions, but it was only during the second half that the Dons fully realised this.


There was little to choose between the teams in the first half, and although Aberdeen always gave the impression that they were capable striking the winning blow there was nothing to suggest that they would win by so substantial a margin as four goals.
The Dons led at the interval by a penalty goal. Mills made no mistake with the spot kick when Cunningham handled inside the area. This goal came in twenty-two minutes, and one minute earlier Armstrong missed a golden opportunity when a Lang header beat Cunningham and the centre shot past with nobody to defeat but the 'keeper.
Aberdeen increased their lead two minutes after the start of the second half, and immediately following this success there was an improvement in their play. Armstrong was the marksman. He seized his chance when Mills cleverly flicked a pass by Lang into the middle.
Aberdeen's third goal, scored in half an hour, seemed rather a "soft" affair. Armstrong fastened on to a through pass by Brady, staved off a challenge by Craven and screwed the ball goalwards. McCloy apparently had it covered, but it slipped through his hands and over the goal line.
The Dons 'leader completed his hat-trick just on the final whistle, when he whipped home a cross from Lang.


The Aberdeen defence was rarely in difficulties, but there were one or two occasions when the understanding between the defenders and the 'keeper was unsure. Johnstone was not severely tested, but cleared his lines confidently despite the fact that the ball was wet and difficult to grasp.
Cooper's tackling was sure and his kicking clean. He was the steadiest back afield, and kept a firm grip of Hanlin throughout.
Although more impetuous than his partner, Temple was effective, and this pair along with Falloon, comprised a solid defensive trio. The centre-half was safe, and even when in the second half McKenzie was injured and went to the wing and Knox took up the leadership with Ferguson at inside right, the Irishman remained unperturbed.
There is room, for improvement in the play of the wing halves. Thomson and Dunlop. So far as defence was concerned there was no cause for complaint, but their combination with the forwards was not of the best - too many passes went astray.
Perhaps the most pleasing feature so far as the attack was concerned was the display of Brady, the newcomer from Hibs, who was at outside right. Although small he is sturdily built, has a good turn of speed, and is not afraid to cut in and try a shot. Once he settles down he promises to develop into a dangerous raider.
Mills, the Dons' new captain, was one of the hardest working forwards afield, and his ability to open up play had not a little to do with the team's improvement in the second half. After a poor first half Armstrong became more lively and enterprising after the interval, and with the ball coming to him on the ground he scored three well-taken goals.
McKenzie was a quietly effective inside right, and Lang was always prominent in the second half with his tricky runs and dangerous crosses.


St Mirren showed no lack of pluck and enthusiasm, and with a little more understanding in attack they will become a difficult side to subdue. Their defence fought pluckily throughout, but their half-backs were so busy trying to hold the Aberdeen attack in check that they had little time to contact their own forwards.
McCloy in goal seemed to be at fault when Aberdeen netted their third counter, but the 'keeper previously had a number of smart saves. Murray and Craven were a strong pair of backs, although the former found his lack of speed a handicap at times.
Cunningham at centre-half defended strongly in the first half, but after the interval he was overworked. The best of the half-backs was Miller, whose ability to turn defence into attack was invaluable.
Knox was the most dangerous forward, and his terrific free kicks always carried a threat of danger. Rankine showed individual cleverness, while Ferguson on the extreme right had he been better catered to might have done lot damage.

Source: Press & Journal, 16th August 1937

St. Mirren Teamsheet
McCloy; Murray, Craven; Kelly, Cunningham, Miller; Ferguson, Knox, McKenzie, Rankine, Hanlin
Attendance: 19,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Wilson, Glasgow