Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 4 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Falkirk scorers: McKerrell 18, Huskie 35, Keyes 40, Keyes 73
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 40.

21/08/1937 | KO:




Aberdeen's football stock slumped badly at Brockville Park, Falkirk, on Saturday. Against a swift-moving and thrustful Falkirk side the Dons showed up badly and were well beaten.

The defence wavered and finally tracked up, while the forwards in the first half showed cleverness, but did not impress as a dangerous combination.
The Aberdeen team as a whole was unconvincing, and both the defence and attack will have to show considerable improvement or defeat will be their portion more often than victory.

VIRILE FINISHING,/p> Falkirk were a virile side. They were slick and incisive in their work, and in no department of the game did they hold bigger advantage than in the all-important matter of finishing.
When they got within shooting range they did not hesitate; they banged the ball towards Johnstone's charge.
Aberdeen's finishing was feeble, to say the least of it. The Dons were too busy in defence in the second half to do any damage, but in the opening period they had their chances, but failed to seize them.
Over-elaboration was the forwards' principal fault. They made ground by neat and concise movements, but inside the penalty area the attack invariably broke down. They tried to walk the ball into the net.
The Aberdeen defence was shaky under pressure in the opening half, but after the interval they entirely lost their grip of the Falkirk attack. The Brockville inside forwards opened up the defence with surprising ease.
The scoring started in the eighteenth minute, when an attack developed on the right. Sharp suddenly switched the ball aver to McKerrell, and the winger, who was lying unmarked, sent into the net. The Dons vainly appealed for offside.
With thirty-five minutes gone Falkirk scored a gra nd second goal. Falloon breasted down a cross from McGrogan, but before he could clear Huskie nipped in to send the ball crashing into the net.

SOLITARY GOAL,/p> Five minutes later Armstrong fastened on to the ball as it came off a defender, and raced through to reduce the leeway.
Falkirk started the second half in brisk fashion, and with five minutes played they scored a third goal. McGrogan and Sharp broke away on the right, and the inside man parted to Keyes, who scored with ease.
The fourth goal came in twenty-eight minutes, when Huskie made an opening which Keyes was quick to accept.
Not one member of the Aberdeen team emerged from the game with full marks. Johnstone in goal was reliable, and considering the amount of work he had to do compared with McKie, he played quite well.
Neither of the backs was particularly safe. Cooper was not happy against McKerrell, and he was slow in recovering. Temple was erratic under pressure, and his kicking was a trifle wild. He was injured near the finish, and went to outside left, where he was quite lively.
Falloon had an unhappy experience against Keyes. He failed to get a grip of the Falkirk leader, who was right at the top of his form. Seldom has the Irishman been so much at sea against an opposing centre forward. Dunlop worked hard without being brilliant, while Thomson could not cope with Sharp, a speedy and elusive inside forward.
In a weak attack, which showed a disappointing lack of verve, Armstrong came out best. The centre was by no means brilliant. He got little support, but never gave up hope, and roamed all over the field in an effort to make openings for himself.
Mills was but a shadow of his real self, and those long raking passes of his which prove so effective in opening up an opposing defence were rarely seen on Saturday. McKenzie put too much work on the ball and seemed loathe to shoot when he got near goal.


Lang, on the left, proved rather a tantalising player. He early showed he could beat his man and played clever football in the outfield, but his finishing work lacked fire. Brady, on the right, rarely took the eye.
Falkirk proved themselves a strong go-ahead side. The score did not flatter them, and on this form they will play a big part in the fight for honours. They have a proud record, having held the League champions and beaten the runners-up in successive weeks.
Their defence showed fine understanding, and their forwards gave the Aberdeen team an object lesson in rounding off smart outfield play.
McKie, in goal, got little to do, while Nisbet and Peat proved themselves a pair of smart and reliable backs. Shankley, at centre-half, was stalwart in defence and made it extremely difficult for the Dons to make progress down the middle.
Bolt was a crafty and forceful right half and Falkirk have secured a promising young player in McPherson. In a virile attack, Keyes and Sharp rather outshone their team-mates, but Huskie and McKerrell comprised a clever and dangerous left wing.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd August 1937

Falkirk Teamsheet
McKie; Nisbet, Peat; Bolt, Shankley, McPherson; McGrogan, Sharp, Keyes, Huskie, McKerrell
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Referee: R. G. Benzie, Irvine