Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Third Lanark

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Third Lanark

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McKenzie 14.

08/09/1937 | KO: 18:40




Aberdeen had to fight hard to retain their undefeated home record at Pittodrie last night. Third Lanark, who beat them by two clear goals at Cathkin on Saturday, gave a plucky display, and had as much of the play as the homesters. Indeed, had they forced a draw they could not have been grudged the point.

McKenzie, the best of the home forwards, scored the all-important goal. The Dons were not convincing, and there will have to be an improvement, especially in attack, if they are to get the better of Dundee on Saturday.
Had the Aberdeen forwards seized all the chances that were given them last night, the issue would not have been in doubt. As it was, Third Lanark were unlucky on more than one occasion not to secure the equaliser.
Like Aberdeen, Third Lanark were considerably under strength owing to injuries. Compared with Saturday their team showed three changes. They were without Carabine and Harvey, Rhodie and Johnstone, the reserve backs, being on duty, while Yardley was at outside-right in place of Simpson.
Thirds proved themselves a nippy side and put up a splendid fight until the final whistle.
While the display of the Dons did not give satisfaction, the game provided some clever and thrilling play, and there was always a danger that the visitors would draw level. Twice - once in each half - the Aberdeen goal had decidedly lucky escapes.


The home defence, although they failed to concede a goal, did not impress. Johnstone kept a good goal, although he was lucky on two occasions, but Cooper was not comfortable against Kinnaird. Temple was the better back, but, even so, his play was not up to standard.
Fraser took the honours at half-back, keeping a wary eye on Jones and feeding his own forwards when opportunity arose. Dunlop played hard game, although he was never brilliant, while Falloon, despite the fact that he received a head injury in the second-half which necessitated his wearing skull cap, defended strongly.
As on Saturday at Cathkin, the finishing of the Aberdeen forwards left good deal to be desired. Once again McKenzie took the honours, with Warnock next best. The inside-right worked in defence and his ability to carry the ball upfield and set the attack going made him invaluable. He was responsible for the all-important g°al.
Warnock had any amount of pluck and always threatened danger. He crossed good centres, and his willingness to cut in made him a continual source of anxiety to the Thirds' defence.


Devine faded out after a bright opening, while Scott at centre-forward seldom threatened danger. Lang on the extreme left occasionally took the eye with a run and cross, but his play lacked confididence.
Third Lanark's defence although shaky times, put up a spirited display. Muir was a safe 'keeper, and Rhodie was the better back.
The outstanding player in the visiting side however, was Blair, the right half. Not only was he sound in defence, but his forcing work in attack in the second half had much to do with the liveliness of the Cathkin attack.
Dewar was a dangerous leader in the second half, his neat flicks causing the home defence a good deal of anxiety. Yardley and Kennedy on the right often threatened danger, while Jones and Kinnaird, too, took the eye after the interval.
Aberdeen early forced a corner on the right, and from Warnock's flag kick McKenzie headed narrowly past. The Thirds defence was sorely tried for a spell. The ball went bobbing about near the penalty area, but after a shot by McKenzie had been blocked, Scott sent over.

NIPPY McKENZIE,/p> Aberdeen took the lead after fourteen minutes. Scott set the movement going when he gave to Warnock. When the winger?s shot was blocked by Johnstone, McKenzie nipped in to score his first goal of the season.
A minute later Scott had a fine try stopped by Muir. There was a thrill when, from a Scott header, Warnock charged Muir and the ball was rolling to the line when Johnstone kicked clear.
McKenzie, who played a strong game in the inside right berth, let Scott away with a perfect pass. The centre, harassed by Kirkland and Johnstone, could not get his shot in properly and Muir had not much difficulty to clear the danger.
Johnstone was in action when, from a Kinnaird slip, Dewar brought the 'keeper to his knees to clear his lines.
Close on the interval the Aberdeen goal had a lucky escape. Kennedy, neatly tricking Fraser, gave to Dewar, whose header struck the post with Johnstone well beaten. Kinnaird got the rebound and, with Johnstone lying helpless on the ground, the winger sent past the post from close range.
Thrills came at the other end. Lang immediately made headway on the left and his cross was deftly shot for goal by Scott. Muir brought off a great save, and a second later McKenzie struck the post.


In the second half, Yardley and Kennedy changed places on the right wing. Falloon and Dewar were hurt in a collision, and the Aberdeen centre-half had to leave the field. His head was badly cut.
McKenzie was in sparkling form, and he again tested Muir with a hard drive.
After Johnstone had saved well from Kennedy, Lang sent in a lovely cross. Its only reward, however, was a corner, which was cleared.
Thirds went all out for the equaliser, and it nearly came when Jones headed in a long pass from McInnes. Johnstone had difficulty in clearing.
After twenty minutes the visiting side was somewhat unlucky not to equalise. Dewar's header caught Johnstone unaware, and he could only knock the ball up. Fortunately, it struck the bar and went behind.
After twenty-five minutes Yardley and Kinnaird again changed positions.
Lang had a good try when he caught a slip from Scott and, eluding Rhodie, kicked on the run. The ball went-only inches over.
Both teams went all out in the closing minutes, and in a desperate tackle Falloon dispossessed Dewar.

Source: Press & Journal,9th September 1937

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Muir; Rhodie, Johnstone; Blair, Kirkland, McInnes; Yardley, Kennedy, Dewar, Jones, Kinnaird
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead