Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Clyde 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Clyde scorers: Hughes (pen) 15, Gillies 90
Aberdeen scorers: Warnock 55.

13/11/1937 | KO:



Less than a minute was left for play when Gillies scored the winning goal for Clyde against Aberdeen at Shawfield on Saturday. It was a dramatic climax to a game which failed to satisfy.
Aberdeen may be considered unfortunate to lose the match as the result of a last-minute goal, but if either team deserved to win it was Clyde.
The home team held a big territorial advantage, particularly in the first half, and but for the ineptitude of their forwards at close quarters they would have led by more than a single goal at the interval.
There was a lack of generalship in the Clyde front rank. They made ground quickly by big kicking, but they lacked the driving power to translate their territorial advantage into goals.


The Dons never impressed as a team. Their chief weakness lay at wing half, but the forwards failed to strike a combined game and their work was haphazard and never looked like bringing goals. For a brief spell after Warnock had equalised they displayed some of their former skill, but it was all too brief.
The team as a whole showed a surprising lack of the will-to-win spirit. This is demonstrated in the fact that apart from the goal the only really testing shot Brown was called upon to deal with was a fierce drive by Mills late in the second half.
Clyde took the lead as the result of penalty award needlessly conceded by Dunlop fifteen minutes after the start. Johnstone had punched out a corner kick by Brooks when Dunlop, for no good reason, thrust out his hand to make contact with the ball. Hughes converted the spot kick.
Warnock showed fine anticipation in netting the equalising goal ten minutes after the start of the second half. The winger took up position in the centre and raced after a long lob by Smith to send into the net.


Most of the spectators were reconciled to a draw when Clyde unexpectedly produced the winning goal. Play was on the right, and Gillies, the left winger, was actually in the inside-right position when he received the ball from Wilson and beat Johnstone with a fine drive from about eighteen yards.
Johnstone was Aberdeen's best player. He was unsighted by Thomson when the winning goal came, but throughout inspired confidence by his clearances. He had not many direct shots to deal with, but he got rid of numerous dangerous lobs and crosses.
Cooper showed an improvement on the previous week's display against Hearts, and Newton, although he was inclined to waver under pressure, settled down to a fairly steady game after a shaky start.
Thomson was the most reliable of the half-backs. He put in a terrific amount of work in defence, and may, with experience, develop into a good centre-half. Both Fraser and Dunlop played below form, and this adversely affected both the defence and the attack.
None of the forwards took much credit from the game. Warnock showed cleverness in taking up position, but although he has plenty of pluck, he lacks the strength necessary in a successful winger.


Smith, his partner, was a hard worker, but proved of little value to the attack because of his habit of lying too far back. Armstrong suffered from lack of support and failed to reveal his usual enterprise.
Mills' return after a lengthy absence did not, as expected, improve the front line. The inside-left, who has been off since August with a broken wrist, did not relish risking his injured arm in the tackle. It will probably be some weeks before he is thoroughly tuned up. Strauss on the extreme left was too closely attended by Kirk to be dangerous.
Clyde's defence was strong, if not polished. Hickie was the surer kicking back and Hughes was the most impressive half. The finishing of the attack was woefully weak. Gillies and Noble on the left were best. The extreme winger was the most dangerous forward afield.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th November 1937

Clyde Teamsheet
Brown; Kirk, Hickie; Beaton, Robb, Hughes; Brooks, Stewart, Wilson, Noble, Gillies
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: J. Thomson, Hamilton
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride