Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Elgin City 1 - 6 Aberdeen

HT Score: Elgin City 3 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup First Round
Elgin City scorers: Maclennan 72
Aberdeen scorers: Strauss, Armstrong 3, Mills 10, Brady 44, Mills, Armstrong 77.

22/01/1938 | KO:




Aberdeen beat Elgin City at Borough as easily as the score suggests. This was only to be expected in view of the disparity that is bound to exist between First Division and Highland League football.

It can truly be said of Elgin that, although outclassed, they were competitive right until the final whistle. Had they been able to prevent the early goals netted by the Dons, it would have been a better game.
Any team that concedes two goals in the first ten minutes of a match is set a formidable task, and when that team is a Highland League one in opposition to a First Division club it invariably spells finish.


Aberdeen won and won easily, but they did not play like potential Scottish Cup winners. Their defence, although seldom in difficulties, was not particularly inspiring, and the forwards, despite the fact that they played some pretty football, revealed unexpected faults at close quarters.
It must be admitted, however, that after the interval they did not appear to be exerting themselves unduly. This slackness cost them a goal and produced a courageous but brief rally on the part of the homesters.
For five minutes Elgin tore into the Dons in great style. It was then that the Aberdeen defence became rattled. The indecision was of short duration, but it served to show that the defence will have to be improved if the Dons are to have a prolonged run in the ties.
Elgin suffered a nasty blow in three minutes, when Armstrong headed the opening goal from corner by Strauss. With ten minutes gone the City were two goals behind. Mills picked up a pass from Brady and his shot from twenty-seven yards entered the net near the post.


Twice Penrose had scoring chances during spasmodic Elgin attacks, but on each occasion he was too deliberate with his shots and the opportunities were lost.
For the most part it was a case of the Aberdeen attack versus the Elgin defence, but the visiting forwards failed to turn their territorial advantage into goals. The third counter did not arrive until close on the interval, when Brady crashed a cross from Strauss into the net.
The Dons played well within themselves in the second period, and after Strauss had added a fourth goal they became a trifle careless. They paid the penalty in twenty-seven minutes, when Elgin opened their account. Maclennan followed up a clearance by Gordon, beat Johnstone to the ball and sent into the net.
Aberdeen quickly recovered their grip and in the closing thirteen minutes they increased their total to six. Armstrong had the fifth goal. He lost the ball after carrying it through, but managed to net during a melee in the goalmouth. Mills scored the last goal with a powerful drive from a pass from Strauss.
Nicholson was outstanding in the Aberdeen defence. The centre half was thorn in the side of the Elgin attack. Time and again he broke up promising home movements.
Johnstone in goal had little to do, while the backs were never in difficulties apart from that brief spell after Elgin scored. Thomson was the better two mediocre wing halves.
Mills was the bright star in attack. The inside left gave one of his best displays of the season. Not only was he clever on the ball, but his long, sweeping passes opened up the City's defence.
Armstrong distributed the ball cleverly, and was often although opposed to Elgin's best defender. McKenzie, Strauss and Brady were inconsistent.
Chief honours in the Elgin defence went to Grant, the centre half. He played coolly and well throughout. A strong. robust player, he fought gallantly to stem the Aberdeen tide.
Lowden in goal started none too confidently, but gradually settled down and brought off a number of excellent saves. The covering of the backs was poor. Gordon was a smart wing half, although he was not outstanding.

DEFENCE OVERWORKED,/p> The forward line failed strike a happy combination with the result that the defence was overworked. Maclennan was seldom allowed become dangerous, but tried hard to hold the line together. The centre must be given full marks for the manner in which he took his goal.
Clunas revealed clever touches, and gives promise of developing into really good inside forward. His chief fault was that he was inclined to put too much work on the ball.
Elgin have discovered a coming star in Maclean. He made his first appearance in Highland League football at Inverness the previous week, and Saturday's match was a big test for him. He showed smart touches and crossed some good balls. He will improve with experience.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd January 1938


A sum of close on £60 for Gray's Hospital, Elgin, was drawn the lady collectors who "buttonholed" the spectators on their way to and from the Elgin City-Aberdeen Scottish Cup tie on Saturday.

Source: Press & Journal 25th January 1938

Elgin City Teamsheet
Lowden; Ralph, Phinn; Gordon, Grant, McKenzie; Penrose, Clunas, Maclennan, Cormack, Maclean
Attendance: 8,403
Venue: Borough Briggs, Elgin
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride