Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 1 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Mills 14 (Pen), Smith 24, Armstrong 61, Mills 81.
Morton scorers: Black 46

19/02/1938 | KO: 15:00



Aberdeen were never in danger of losing the Scottish League points to Morton at Pittodrie on Saturday. The Dons were well ahead of the opposition both in defence and attack. As a matter of fact, the result rather flatters Morton.
The Greenock side are bound for the Second Division, and although they showed any amount of pluck on Saturday the disparity between the teams was most marked.
The visitors for the most part were forced to accept the role of defenders. Their raids were haphazard and were in striking contrast to the rhythmic and polished movements of the home forwards.


The Aberdeen forwards played some delightful football, particularly in the second period, Clever and cohesive, their leading-up work was well-nigh faultless. They continually had the Morton defence in difficulties, and that they did not score more than four goals was probably due to the fact that they knew they had the game well in hand and indulged in cutting pretty figures inside the penalty area.
Aberdeen took the lead after fourteen minutes' play. Ritchie Smith gathered a pass from Armstrong and crossed ball. It fell to Mills, who, lying unmarked, brought it under control and sent it into the net.
Play had been in progress twenty-four minutes when the Dons got their second goal. Armstrong got his head to a clearance by Erskine and guided the ball on to Charlie Smith. The winger ran in to deliver a strong shot. The ball beat the 'keeper and was over the line before Maley, lying on the ground, shot up his foot to send it into the roof of the net.

FALSE HOPES,/p> When Morton got a goal in the first minute of the second half hopes were high that the game would develop on more lively lines, but these proved false. From that period onwards Aberdeen dictated the run of play.
The Morton goal was rather a "soft" affair, and was due to a misunderstanding. Erskine attempted to pass back to Johnstone, but the 'keeper was out of his charge and the ball rolled over the line. Black, the Greenock centre, followed up to send into the back of the net so that there would be no argument.
Sixteen minutes after the restart came the best goal of the match. When McKenzie nodded the ball down to Armstrong the centre, in one movement, wheeled and sent the ball crashing into the net from the edge of the penalty area.
Nine minutes from the end the Dons were awarded a penalty for "hands," and although Stewart managed to touch Mills's spot-kick he could not prevent it entering the net. Morton got a similar award a few minutes later when McGill brought Collins down from behind when the winger broke through. McGarry took the kick but sent against the upright.
The home defence were never in difficulties. They had the measure of the Morton attack. Johnstone has seldom had less to do. Cooper was again the best back on view, and a gave the lively McGarry no chance to do any damage. McGill found Collins a trickier proposition, but the winger suffered from lack of support.


The Dons had also the best half-back afield in Thomson. The left-half is playing well just now, particularly in attack. Although less polished than Thomson, Dunlop was strong in defence.
It was unfortunate that Erskine, who was making his debut in the League side, should be instrumental in giving away the goal. That apart the reserve pivot played quite well. He will improve with experience.
Mills was the general of the attack, and he had an able lieutenant in Armstrong. This pair, with their clever ball control and fine understanding led the Morton defence a merry dance.


Had Ritchie Smith on the left been less anxious he would have had more success. He was a source of worry to the Morton right flank, but was opposed to a good defender in Maley. Charlie Smith, on the other wing, was fast and crossed a good ball, but he could have made better use of his chances.
The Morton team has several weaknesses. Luck smiled on Stewart, who was inclined to the unorthodox, nut the 'keeper had number of good saves to his credit. Maley was a sound and resourceful back, and Robb at centre-half, got through a power of work.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st February 1938

Morton Teamsheet
Stewart; Maley, Hamilton; Baird, Robb, Mooney; Collins, Leckie, Black (R.), Smith (H.) McGarry.
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride