Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 4 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 3 Rangers

League Cup Final
Rangers scorers: Gillick 25, Williamson 34, Duncanson 41, Duncanson 55

05/04/1947 | KO: 15:00


If Dunlop Hadn't Chosen Wrong: If McCall Had Seized His Chances

Football trophies are not won on might-have-beens. Yet I shall always recall Saturday's League Cup Final at Hampden Park with a certain amount of regret.
Two things might have put an entirely different complexion on the run of this game:-
1 - If Frank Dunlop, the Dons' captain, had decided to play with the elements in his favour on winning the toss instead of giving Rangers the advantage;
2 - If Willie McCall had seized either of the scoring chances that came his way in the first fifteen minutes.

It was a tactical mistake to give the Light Blues advantage of fierce wind and torrential rain. Of course it's easy to be wise after the event.
Dunlop's idea was probably to hold Rangers in the first half, and hammer them in the second.
In any case, the Glasgow team won the game in the first period. They scored three times. Rangers deserved to win the Cup. There's no doubt about that.
They gave the Dons an object lesson in how to make and take their chances. Let's hope the forwards have taken it to heart.
On play there wasn't four goals between the teams. Rangers could teach Aberdeen nothing in the matter of approach work.
In fact, if anything, the Dons led in this rcspect. The Ibrox Park men, however, could teach them plenty in the vital art of turning outfield play into goals.
I could rhapsodise about some Aberdeen's early attacking movements. They were well conceived and neatly executed, but a discordant note was struck immediately the forwards reached the penalty area. It was football embroidery without finish.


No team in Scotland can afford to give Rangers three goals of a start and expect to win. Hibs tried it and failed. Now Aberdeen have tried and met the same fate.
On the day's play the Dons had no forward with the subtle, defence-splitting through-pass of Gillick, the driving power of Thornton, and the opportunism of Duncanson.
I thought there was one other noticeable difference between the teams - in defence. The Ibrox defence had the edge on the Dons in the matter of recovery power and in coverine up.
Invariably, when a Rangers defender was beaten another was there to fill the breach. In the case of Aberdeen, when a defender was beaten, too often the way to goal lay clear. There's another lesson for Aberdeen here.
Each Pittodrie player put everything he had into the game, but few emerged from this trial of strength with enhanced reputations.

MORE MOBILE DEFENCE NEEDED,/p> The defence must plan a more mobile defensive campaign and the forwards must learn the obvious - that it's goals that count.
McKenna played well at back. Taylor and McLaughlin were strong, hard-working half backs' and Harris, in the second half, was the only forward who looked as if he might do any damage. The others were below their best form.
Young, Woodburn and Rae were ptominent in the Rangers' rear lines, while in front of them Thornton was fast and dagerous and Duncanson an elusive and speedy winger.
The Light Blues' opening goal came after twenty-five minutes' play. A powerful dash down the left by Thornton opened up the Aberdeen defence. The inside left put Duncanson in possession and Gillick headed home the winger's cross.
It was against the run of play when Williamson got a second goal in thirty-four minutes. The ball was actually pushed against the post bv Johnstone, but rebounded and went into the net off the 'keeper's heel. Rutherford beat Taylor to start the movement that led to the score. When he crossed, Dunlop seemed to handle the ball, but before he could clear Williamson drove for goal.
A few minutes from the interval Duncanson delivered the knock-out blow when he beat Cooper the tackle, drew Johnstone, and sent into an empty goal. The Aberdeen' defence claimed offside against the winger.
Ten minutes after the restart came the fourth and final goal. When Rutherford broke away on the right and crossed a dangerous ball the Aberdeen defence was caught on the hop and Duncanson, unmarked, drove the ball into the net.

Source: press & Journal, 7th April 1947,/p>

Although Aberdeen had won the real first League Cup Final the season before, this was the "official" first.


MORE than 40,000 ticketholders didn't go to Hampden Park for Saturday League Cup final between Rangers and Aberdeen. Wno could blame them? The wind and rainstorm made it as big a test of endurance for the spectators as for the players.
Despite the conditions the attendance figures were 82,684.

Rangers Teamsheet
Brown; Young, Shaw; McColl, Woodburn, Rae; Rutherford, Gillick, Williamson, Thornton, Duncanson
Attendance: 82,684
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: R. Calder, Rutherglen
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead