Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Hibernian

Scottish Cup Final
Aberdeen scorers: Hamilton 36, Williams 42.
Hibernian scorers: Cuthbertson 1

19/04/1947 | KO: 15:00


At last another Cup Final and this time it was a success for the Dons. Despite a heart-stopping blunder by George Johnstone in the first minute when he fumbled a simple backpass from George Taylor for Cuthbertson to score an easy goal, Aberdeen went on to beat Hibs in the first half, despite heroics from Kerr in the Hibernian goal. The winning goal was an unorthodox effort that would have had coaches tearing their hair out as Stan Williams, from the bye-line, quite gently, pushed the ball between Kerr and the post instead of cutting it back to his oncoming team-mates. In the second period a George Hamilton penalty kick was saved by Hibs goalie, Kerr, who had pulled down Williams, but Aberdeen were in control and the Cup was heading north.

Hibs won the toss and elected to play into the stiff breeze and strong sunshine and within 25 seconds, the Edinburgh side were ahead!
Finnigan booted the ball out from his own half into the Aberdeen penalty box. The Dons' left-back, Taylor, collected the ball and, instead of playing it back up the field, he chose to tap it back to his keeper. Johnstone had come out of his goal in anticipation of the move and picked the passback up . . . and then promptly let it drop out of his hands again! The ball spun to the waiting Hibs forwards who could hardly believe their luck. They pounced on the free ball and eventually Cuthbertson slammed it home into the empty net.
Aberdeen replied a minute later when Stan Williams hit a 25-yard shot which Kerr tipped over the crossbar. McLaughlin, Dunlop and Waddell all moved up as the Dons pressed for an equaliser and, although they had most of the play, some desperate defending by Hibs stopped them from scoring. But the Edinburgh club couldn't hold out forever and in the 35th minute, the Dons pulled a goal back.
The wind was beginning to sap the Hibs' players strength and when a long ball was lobbed into their half, Williams easily beat them to it. He sideflicked it into the path of Hamilton and the inside-right headed the ball past the onrushing keeper. Hibs attempted to force their way back and Willie Ormond had a fierce shot punched over by Johnstone. Yet Aberdeen inflicted another blow on the Easter road men in the 41st minute when they took the lead.
Stan Williams chased a loose ball down the right wing and then ran with it past two defenders to the Hibernian by-line. He cut inwards, towards the goal and with all the Dons forwards screaming for him to pass it, squeezed the ball past Kerr. It was a fine goal and Aberdeen kept control after the interval. Indeed in the 58th minute, they had a glorious chance to go further ahead. Williams, who had been the scourge of the Hibs defenders, latched onto a through ball but as he hit it towards the net, Kerr raced out and brought the centre-forward crashing down in the box. The referee had no hesita¬tion in awarding a penalty and Hamilton stepped up to take it, only to shoot straight into the arms of the goalkeeper. That gave Hibs fresh heart and they began to have more of the play, but their attacks were not co-ordinated properly and the Dons held out to the final whistle, so taking the Cup home to Pittodrie for the first time.

Hibs also missed out on the League title that year, finishing second two points behind Rangers, Aberdeen were third. Other events of that month - 3,000 Glasgow dockers were out on strike over proposals to make some of them redundant. Sir Winston Churchill proposed that the period of National Service should be reduced from two years to one and the first ever Scottish League Cup Final was played, with Rangers beating Aberdeen 4-0.
Henry Ford, inventor of the Model T' Ford car, died at the age of 83. The cause of death was diagnosed as a cerebral haemorrhage. Films at Glasgow included 'The Odd Man Out', starring a youthful James Mason, while the top radio programmes were Family Favourites and super sleuthing hero, Dick Barton. For Aberdeen, though, the hero they were most interested in was Stan Williams. His winning goal had made Dons history. It was a final to remember.

Source Match Programme at the Scottish Cup Final, 22nd May 1982

Victory Thoroughly Deserved: What A Fight Back! What A Team!
By NORMAN MACDONALD,/p> Teamwork! - That's what won the Scottish Cup for Aberdeen, and it's not onlv confined to the field of play. Yesterday I had another example of it at Largs.

Willie Waddell told me he intends offering his medal to Willie Cooper, who, after playing in all the other cup-ties, missed the final through injury.
Said Waddell - "It's tough luck Willie Cooper missing his medal. He's worth one, and if he doesn't get one I intend to offer him mine."
That, I think, is one of the most sporting and gallant gestures I have met in twenty years in sport. Let's hope they both get a medal. They certainly deserve one.
The Scottish Cup will arrive in Aberdeen this evening. After the match the players returned to Largs, but they will journey north to-day and will arrive in Aberdeen at 5.41 p.m.
If ever a team deserved to triumph it was the Dons at Hampden Park on Saturday. They were magnificent. Never have I seen a Pittodrie team display the same grand fighting spirit as did the eleven that faced Hibs in the Scottish Cup final.
Fate dealt them a shattering blow when they lost a goal with the game only thirty seconds old. It was a tragedy this goal. To nine teams out of ten it would have spelt finis to their hopes.
Not so the Dons. It served only to make them rise above adversity. They threw everything into the game. I doubt if Hampden has ever seen a better fight back.

A Gift Goal

It was a gift goal that Hibs got. Finnigan lobbed the ball up-field. Taylor collected it and passed back to Johnstone, who was moving from his charge. The 'keeper stooped to pick the ball up. He seemed to have it safe, but it slipped from his hands and through his legs. Cuthbertson accepted what the gods offered and whipped the ball into the net.
It was then we saw the devastating Aberdeen team. Halfbacks and forwards swooped into the attack. Nothing could stop them. The ball travelled from man to man with speed and precision. Shots rained in on Kerr from all angles.
No defence could live against such an offensive. Yet Shaw and his men held out for thirty-six minutes. Kerr's charge had a charmed existence. Aberdeen enthusiasts must almost have been in despair when the equalising goal came. A good goal it was, too. Nothing fortuitous about it. The reward for a clever football movement.
Harris gathered the ball on the wing and moved in to send a ground pass through to Williams. The little centre had Aird looming over him, but, with a neat side flick, he lofted the ball goalwards, and Hamilton darted in to head into the corner of the net, well out of Kerr's reach.

Williams's Masterpiece

There were only three minutes of the half left for play when Stan Williams treated us to one the cleverest and most impudent goals ever scored in a cup final. It was a goal that will go down in history as a masterpiece of footwork and ball manipulation.
From the inside-right position Harris sent the ball into the middle to Hamilton. The inside right made as if to go left and them suddenly flicked the ball out o the right.
Williams was after it like a flash and caught it almost on the by-line. Quickly he brought it under control and moved towards goal. It seemed impossible that he could score - the angle was so acute.
Hamilton and Harris shouted for the ball. The South African had hos own ideas. While his own and the Hibs players waited for him to square the ball he suddenly toed it with his left foot and it passed Kerr and finished in the side-net. That was the goal that made history by writing Aberdeen's name on the Scottish Cup for the first time.
Apart from the goals it was South African Stan Williams's day. I doubt if he will ever play a better game. He was terrific. He started running from the first whistle and never stopped until the end of the ninety minutes.
The Hibs defence simply couldn't subdue the agile and irrepressible Springbok. His unorthodoxy had them guessing, and they failed to find an answer. It was no unusual sight to see two or three Hibs defenders chasing the elusive Williams.

Penalty Missed

When the Dons failed to take advantage of a penalty award thirteen minutes after the restart, Hibs fought hard for the equaliser.
The spot kick was given against Kerr when the 'keeper interfered with Williams after the centre had completely eluded the Hibs defence. Hamilton took the kick but Kerr saved.
Hibs switched their attack in an effort to get on level terms, Gordon Smith taking over the leadership. It was of no avail. The cup was destined for Aberdeen.

Captain's Part

It was a team triumph so far as the Dons were concerned. Every man of the eleven gave his best. Yet I thought there was another man besides Williams who was deserving of special mention, and that man was Frank Dunlop. He played a captain's part. He was the personification of confidence and reliability in the middle; cool and resourceful always.
It was not Hibs' day. They struck an Aberdeen football typhoon in the opening forty-five minutes and never completely recovered. They lacked leadership. But for the brilliance of Kerr in goal the Dons' margin of victory would have been more emphatic.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st April 1947

Frank Dunlop became the first winning Captain to receive the trophy at the final whistle. Previously the presentation had been at the SFA's after-match dinner.
Hibernian Teamsheet
Kerr; Govan, Shaw; Howie, Aird, Kean; Smith, Finnegan, Cuthbertson, Turnbull, Ormond
Attendance: 82,140
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: R. Calder, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead