Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Kilmarnock scorers: McSwegan 58, Canero 62

01/03/2003 | KO: 15:00

Ten men Dons hit by quick double

Aberdeen were unable to break the Rugby Park hoodoo as they left empty handed after another defeat. There was little to choose between the sides until referee Underhill dismissed Eric Deloumeaux in the 54th minute for retaliation following a late McLaren challenge. The Killie man was only shown a yellow card for his part and the home side capitalised with two quick goals to kill off the Dons.

There was little goalmouth action to report in the early stages with a Canero header in the 4th minute being the closest, and even this was an easy catch for Kjaer. Aberdeen had half a chance in the 8th minute when Hart released Young and the striker cut inside only to see his shot blocked. A minute later Clark executed a similar move and this time Meldrum was forced to dive low to his left to save.

Aberdeen were looking a bit more threatening now and in the 14th minute Dindeleux had to be quick to clear a long through ball with Young and D'Jaffo chasing. Two minutes later Sheerin went on a good run, but held on to the ball for too long and the chance was lost. In the 20th minute Aberdeen failed to clear their lines but fortunately the ball would not sit down for any of the Killie strikers. Two minutes later Anderson made a telling interception and steered the ball back to Kjaer.

The Dons defence looked all at sea in the 25th minute as McLaren tested Kjaer with a header. A minute later he gave him a tougher test as the Dane was forced to dive low to stop a net-bound effort. In between these two attempts Russell Anderson collected the first yellow card of the match for a late challenge. Referee Underhill did little to help the flow of the match with constant stoppages and erratic decisions.

Aberdeen were not creating as many chances, but in the 36th minute Sheerin got wide and delivered a teasing cross which just eluded D'Jaffo. A minute later Fabiano won a corner and the Kilmarnock defence struggled to cope with Sheerin's delivery into the front post. The ball was eventually cleared for a second corner, which D'Jaffo steered wide. Tosh was trying to show his team mates the way to goal with a couple of long range efforts which failed to trouble Meldrum.

At the other end Kjaer did well to gather a McSwegan free kick in the 42nd minute. A long range effort by Hart in the final minute of the half sailed well over the bar only dipping around about row Z. This summed up the opening 45 minutes where neither team did enough to gain the advantage.

Kilmarnock came out fired up and it took an 11th hour intervention by a back tracking Chris Clark to deny them a 46th minute lead. Seconds later McLaren headed inches wide with Kjaer beaten. Notice had been served that the home side meant business. The Dons were given another scare in the 49th minute when the home side carved open the Dons defence once more only to be let down by poor finishing.

At the other end the Dons were not on the same wavelength with each other as passes constantly went astray. The game then erupted in the 54th minute when Eric Deloumeaux was red carded for retaliating to a late McLaren challenge. There looked to be little in the incident, but Mr. Underhill sent the Frenchman off and booked McLaren. The Dons reorganised by bringing on Rutkiewicz in place of D'Jaffo.

Kilmarnock took advantage of the Dons ten men and went ahead in the 59th minute through Gary McSwegan. The striker capitalised on a poor clearance and hit a shot from the edge of the box which Kjaer might have stopped, but looked a bit slow in getting down to make the save. Killie went further ahead in the 63rd minute as they broke quickly from a Dons attack. Their cause was helped when both Anderson and Rutkiewicz slipped allowing Fowler to go through on goal. He then passed to Canero who looked to be ahead of him. The assistant referee kept his flag down allowing the Killie player to sweep the ball into the empty net.

This second goal killed the game as Aberdeen's attempts to get back on terms were frustrated by stoppages and Kilmarnock looked happy enough with the 2-0 score line. Darren Mackie was introduced into the game in the 74th minute and his pace did cause problems, although the only real chance created at this stage was a fierce low drive from Tosh, which Meldrum handled well. The Dons had a final chance in the last minute when Sheerin fired in a dangerous cross, however Mackie was unable to get his head to it.

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Meldrum, Fowler, Canero, Dindeleux, Innes, Hay, McDonald, Shields, McSwegan (Boyd 76), Mahood, McLaren (Di Giacomo 88) Unused Subs: Dillon

Bookings:  McLaren 54
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Kjaer, McAllister, Anderson, Deloumeaux, Clark, Tosh, Hart, Fabiano (Mackie 74), Sheerin, Young, D'Jaffo (Rutkiewicz 56).

Unused Subs: Preece, Tiernan.

Bookings:  Anderson (24),  Deloumeaux (54).
Attendance: 5,769
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: John Underhill, Fife
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen