Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 6 - 1 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 4 - 0 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Johnston 7, Smith 15, Johnston 37 (Pen), Munro 41, Melrose 72, Munro 86.
Falkirk scorers: Cowan 66

08/04/1967 | KO: 15:00

Alter this convincing win the Dons occupied third place in the league, thus keeping in contention for a place in the European Fairs Cup (nowadays the UEFA Cup). After losing to Celtic in the Scottish Cup Final three weeks later, the Dons qualified for the 1967-68 European Cup-Winners' Cup campaign, as Celtic were league champions.

Early shots from Francis Munro and Cowan were well wide and then Dave Johnston had a 20-yard shot saved by Connachan. This was followed by Jim Storrie heading a Harry Melrose cross tamely into the keeper's hands. The 7000 crowd saw Aberdeen now starting to apply incessant pressure and Munro had a tremendous shot deflected over the bar. Following a clever build-up between Munro and Jimmy Smith, Johnston swept the ball into the net in seven minutes. It should have been 2-0 a few minutes later when Smith hit the ball against a defender from a few yards out. Apart from Graham heading into Bobby Clark's hands it was virtually one-way traffic. Jimmy Wilson took a free-kick but shot wide. The Bairns' defence looked shaky and Melrose almost scored. Jens Petersen was dictating in midfield and was finding plenty of opportunities to urge on his forwards. Even Jim Whyte surged forward and he and Petersen both had shots blocked. Storrie then got in the way of a Munro blockbuster bound for the net. The pressure from the marauding Dons eventually paid off as they scored three times in quick succession before half time. Firstly, Smith scored a great goal when he breasted down an Ally Shewan clearance and his strong shot went in off the post. Then Storrie was fouled and Johnston bulleted home the resultant penalty kick. Just before the interval Munro shot the ball high into the net from Johnston's pass.

Aberdeen restarted in the same belligerent mood and Munro shot wildly past. Falkirk were too ponderous and deliberate and their infrequent attacks were easily controlled and broken up. The crowd wanted more goals and Johnston, easily the best home forward, had three attempts on goal in quick succession. Graham almost scored in a Falkirk breakaway and there were shouts of "Waken up Aberdeen" from the terracings. The Dons responded with two attacks but they seemed to have lost the scoring urge. Johnston and Wilson both missed from close range. Eventually Melrose pacified the fans with a fifth goal shooting low from a Smith pass. Aberdeen had everything under control and on three occasions Hunter had to head away dangerous crosses. Aberdeen suffered a setback when Cowan reduced the leeway, despite a challenge from Whyte. Storrie had been having an ineffectual afternoon and missed a couple of reasonable chances near the end. It was really just a case of playing out time now but just before the final whistle, Munro made it six from a Johnston pass.

Source: Match Programme, 25th April 1992

Falkirk Teamsheet
Connaghan, Lambie, Hunter, Markie, Gibson, Moran, McManus, Smith, Fulton, Graham, Cowan
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: I. M. D. Foote, Glasgow
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen