Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Taylor 40, Taylor 81.
Falkirk scorers: Scott 16, Willoughby (o.g.) 44

14/10/1972 | KO: 15:00

Magical Magyar Mesmerises

Falkirk battled gamely and led with less than ten minutes to go. This game marked the debut of Hungarian Zoltan Varga, arguably the most skilful footballer ever to play for Aberdeen, although his career at Pittodrie was only to last six months. Varga's last game for the Dons coincided with Willie Miller's first.

Zoltan Varga's first touch brought an encouraging cheer as he sent Joe Harper through, but he shot wide. Jim Hermiston then had a powerful run down the wing and his cross was volleyed past by Bertie Miller. Falkirk were under pressure and McMillan and McLeod had to make desperate clearances. When the Bairns retaliated Steve Murray stopped Setterington with a strong tackle.
The 15,000 spectators were shocked in 16 minutes when Falkirk scored out of the blue. Scott beat Willie Young and curled a shot past Bobby Clark from the edge of the box. Harper might have equalised when Murray lobbed the ball forward but Donaldson advanced and forced him to miss.
Varga was starting to pull the strings in midfield and the Dons were responding to his promptings. Dave Robb blasted one of his passes over the bar and Drew Jarvie had a shot blocked. Another great pass by the Hungarian set Alex Willoughby free and Harper first-timed his cross against the keeper's body. Varga himself had a powerful shot which skimmed over the bar.
An overhead kick by Harper was headed off the line by Shirra but Aberdeen did equalise in 40 minutes when Jarvie's pass to Harper was sent on to Ian Taylor who hit a low shot into the net. Two minutes later, Jarvie was fouled but Harper's penalty was well saved. To rub salt into the wound, just on half-time, Willoughby turned a cross past Clark.

Aberdeen resumed on the offensive and Jarvie and Robb both had tries saved. Falkirk were not idle and Murray had to make a last-ditch tackle on Harley. Aberdeen were now forcing corners but they were all unproductive. Varga gave Harper a magnificent pass and his shot fully tested Donaldson.
The Dons now began to get desperate and Falkirk were beginning to get over-physical in what was becoming a tempestuous second half. Varga was using the ball well but did not relish the stern tackling. Aberdeen were now looking ragged and teamwork was disintegrating. The ineffective Miller was replaced by Arthur Graham in an effort to inject new life into the attack. Jarvie had a good header from a Murray cross. Then Varga had a strong, swerving shot well saved by the keeper.
Next Donaldson had a fantastic double save from Harper. Firstly he pushed out a header and then dived to save the striker's shot as Harper hit the rebound. Just before the final whistle Taylor picked u a square pass on the edge of the box and his shot beat the keeper.
Falkirk Teamsheet
Donaldson, Kennedy, Shirra, Markie, McMillan, McLeod, Setterington, Harley (Somner 62), Scott, Young, Jack

Bookings:  Setterington 70,   McMillan 85
Attendance: 14,165
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Marshall, Glasgow
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries