Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 St. Mirren

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 St. Mirren

League Cup Group 2
Aberdeen scorers: Harper 4 (Pen), Williamson 39, Harper 40, Williamson 65.

25/08/1976 | KO: 19:30

Pretty Paisley Patterns woven by the Dons

The Dons were in the same League Cup section as St. Mirren, Ayr United and Kilmarnock and the win against the Paisley Saints meant that only one point was required from the last two qualifying ties to progress into the quarter finals. 8,212 spectators saw the game.

Manager Ally MacLeod had the comforting knowledge that he had in reserve Eddie Thomson, Neil Cooper, Ian Fleming, Dave Robb, Drew Jarvie, John McMaster and Walker McCall. The home team had a quick and successful start when Joe Harper was tripped in the box after 4 minutes and scored with the resultant penalty. The Dons maintained their pressure but the visitors were not overawed and they fought back with determination. On one occasion Bobby Clark was stranded out of goal and Borthwick was just wide with a powerful drive and he had to look lively when McGillivray "bent" a free kick round the defensive wall. Aberdeen were now combining well in building up attacks but they could not break down a stubborn defence. A good run by Jocky Scott looked promising but Hunter punched clear from Harper. This signalled an all-out onslaught by the homesters, driven on by skipper Willie Miller, back after a three game suspension.
The Dons were rewarded for their over-all supremacy with two goals in two minutes just before half time. In the 39th minute a Scott cross found Harper who touched the ball into the path of Billy Williamson. He mis-hit his shot which deceived the keeper, who had dived too soon. Next Arthur Graham's corner kick was put into the goalmouth by Chic McLelland for Harper to squeeze the ball into the net. The half finished with McGillivray driving another free kick narrowly past the post.

Gibson had replaced Stark in the St. Mirren attack but it was Aberdeen who were first to go on the offensive. Dom Sullivan had a dipping header well saved by Hunter, who tipped the ball over the crossbar, and in the next minute the same player missed an excellent chance when he sliced his shot wide after good work by Graham. The visitors refused to concede defeat and their danger man, McGillivray, had a cross-cum-shot which slid along the crossbar. Aberdeen's superiority in pace and power was beginning to take its toll on the gallant visitors and only some weak finishing was nullifying the homesters' efforts. A fine piece of individualism brought Aberdeen's fourth goal in 65 minutes. McLelland and Graham were involved in the build-up before Williamson toe-over and climaxed a fast crossfield ruby beating Hunter with an angled drive. Next St. Mirren put on Hyslop for McGillivray.
Joe Smith, who had worked tirelessly in midfield, tested the keeper with a well-controlled low drive. The ball bounced off the keeper's chest but there was nobody near enough for the rebound Although four goals clear, Aberdeen continued to press forward and a Stuart Kennedy lob hit the post.

Source: Match Programme, 19th August 1995

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, Smith, Garner, Miller, Sullivan, Williamson, Harper, Scott, Graham.

Unused Subs: McMaster, Jarvie.
St. Mirren Teamsheet
Hunter, Johnstone, Mowatt, Fitzpatrick, Reid, Young, Stark (Gibson 46), Borthwick, McGarvey, Richardson, McGillivray (Hyslop 72)
Attendance: 8,212
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. J. Mullen, Dalkeith
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead