Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 3 - 1 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Hibernian

Premier Division
Aberdeen scorers: Cooper 1, Strachan 48 (Pen), Jarvie 83.
Hibernian scorers: Rae 23

10/03/1982 | KO: 19:30


Recording a solid home league win against Hibernian, Aberdeen finished worthy winners in front of 9,000 fans, though Hibs put up spirited resistance. The visitors tried to frustrate the home team by passing the ball back to their keeper - they did so on 14 occasions in the first half alone! The Dons were quick off the mark, scoring after 35 seconds. John McMaster took a quick free kick to Neale Cooper who sent a 25 yard drive towards goal. The ball went straight to the "postage stamp" corner and rebounded from the stanchion. The linesman indicated the validity of the goal. Inspired by this early success, the Dons produced clever, aggressive football to threaten the visitors' goal. Mark McGhee (twice), McMaster and John Hewitt had scoring attempts foiled. Hibs began to rally and equalised in 23 minutes. Flavell tapped a free kick to Rae, who struck the post, hit Jim Leighton's back and then rebounded into the goal. McArthur did well to hold a close range volley from Hewitt as the Dons began to reassert themselves and put the visitors' goal under siege. Throughout the first half the home team had exerted the bulk of the pressure and the Hibs players did not hesitate to pass back to their keeper. Again the Dons struck shortly after the start of play. In 48 minutes a McNamara pass back was intercepted by Hewitt whose progress towards goal was stopped illegally by McArthur, Gordon Strachan scored from the inevitable penalty. Hibs immediately retaliated and the home defence had to concede a couple of corners. In the next Aberdeen raid Cooper sent a long-range effort over the bar. Andy Watson replaced Hamilton, with McMaster dropping back to left back. McGhee was marauding well and twice came within inches of putting Aberdeen further ahead. Firstly McArthur did well to deflect the strikers low shot and his second attempt glanced off the crossbar. Aberdeen made a second substitution when Neil Simpson was injured and had to be replaced by Drew Jarvie. Just after this change McGhee and Strachan both had shots blocked in quick succession. Then a Jarvie header from a Hewitt corner seemed to have crossed the line, but the whistle had been blown for an infringement. The same combination proved more successful in 83 minutes when Jarvie headed home Hewitt's corner, Aberdeen's 17th of the match.

Source: Match Programme, 9th November 1994

Hibernian Teamsheet
McArthur, Sneddon, Duncan, McLaren, Paterson, McNamara, Callachan, Murray, MacLeod, Rae, Flavell
Attendance: 8,691
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: K. J. Hope, Clarkston
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead