Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hibernian

Premier Division
Aberdeen scorers: Brazil (OG) 9, McGhee 30, Strachan 70 (Pen), Cowan 78, Angus 87.

14/05/1983 | KO: 15:00


Hibernian players lined up as a guard of honour for the new European Cup Winners Cup holders then proceeded to try and kick them off the park during the match. However,they had no answer to the rampant form of the Dons and suffered accordingly.
Aberdeen manager, Alex Ferguson, personally thanked the thousands of fans, who made the historic trip to Gothenburg for the victory over Real Madrid three days earlier over the Pittodrie loudspeaker system. Each Don received a great ovation when he came out to test the pitch. 24,000 packed into the stadium and some of the turnstiles were closed around 2.15.

Hibs showed a fine sporting gesture by lining up to applaud the Dons on to the pitch. Aberdeen opened in confident style, determined to turn this last game of the season into a carnival occasion. Hibs contributed to the gala atmosphere by donating an "own goal" in the 9th minute. Doug Rougvie set Eric Black free and Brazil was unfortunate enough to divert the winger's low cross past Rough. Rough became the busiest player on the pitch as the Dons pressed on the accelerator and he produced a fantastic save when he tipped over a Mark McGhee header from a John Hewitt cross. Following a great run by Willie Miller, Rough did well to cut out the Dons' skipper's cross.
On the half hour mark the keeper had to admit defeat when McGhee netted Aberdeen's second counter. Black swung over a long cross from the right and the striker nipped in on the blind side to head the ball into the net off the underside of the bar. Black was immediately replaced by Steve Cowan, no doubt to ensure Eric's availability for the Scottish Cup Final against Rangers on the following Saturday. The Dons were now coasting, perhaps thinking of the visit to Hampden, and Hibs were not mounting any real challenge.

Hibs used both subs immediately, with McKee and Harvey replacing Conroy and Welsh. The prevailing pattern of play continued with the Dons operating on a higher level. In 49 minutes Hewitt helped Rough by getting in the way of a netbound shot from Gordon Strachan! Four minutes later Aberdeen were given a cup final scare when Alex McLeish collided with the concrete barrier following a a clash with Harvey on the touchline. The tall defender fell clutching his head and was helped to the dressing room. Derek Hamilton went to right back and Rougvie took McLeish's position. Hamilton was involved in Aberdeen's third goal in 70 minutes when he was fouled by Sneddon. Strachan blasted the ball high into the net from the resultant penalty, Miller took a hefty knock on the shoulder when he was toppled by Duncan, but he continued after treatment although obviously still in pain. Substitute Cowan got his name on the score-sheet in 78 minutes when he was in the right place to knock the ball home after a Hewitt drive rebounded off the post. Although the ball came to him at an awkward height Cowan did well to convert his chance.
3 minutes from time Ian Angus provided the icing on the cake when he rammed home a fifth goal with a glorious left foot shot. Hibs had been outclassed but Aberdeen could only win the league if Dundee United lost and Celtic drew. They both won and United were champions.

Source: Match Programme 27th November 1993

Hibernian Teamsheet
Rough, Conroy (McKee 46), Sneddon, Brazil, Welsh (Harvey 46), McNamara, Callachan, Rice, Irvine, Thomson, Duncan

Bookings:  Callachan 16,   Sneddon 70
Attendance: 24,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: D. F. T. Syme, Rutherglen
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead