Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Bohemians Dublin 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Bohemians Dublin 0 - 0 Aberdeen

UEFA Cup Second Preliminary Round Second Leg
Aberdeen were eliminated on the away goals rule.
Aberdeen scorers: Morrison (OG) 70.

24/08/2000 | KO: 19:45

Dons crash out despite away win

Aberdeen's Euro adventure ended in disappointment despite winning in Dublin. A fighting performance was not enough to undo the damage done at Pittodrie as the Dons were knocked out on the away goals rule. Bohs manager Collins continued his childish and unsporting behaviour right to the end as Ebbe showed a side rarely seen in public, when he pushed the ignorant Irishman away at the final whistle.

Aberdeen took the game to Bohs right from the kick off as experienced campaigners, Derek Whyte, Paul Bernard and Andy Dow returned to the team. Supported by a vocal away support, young Kevin McNaughton made his intentions clear by making a forceful run in the first minute. Zerouali just failed to control his cross. The Dons were making a whirlwind start and Zero shot over in the fourth minute when he had a bit more time than he thought. Two minutes later McNaughton had an effort blocked by the keeper after good work from Winters.

The Dons were totally dominating now and in 9 minutes Zero had a tremendous run which ended with his shot being turned away for a corner. Bohs were looking completely out of there depth as Zero and Dow both had efforts blocked round the 20 minute mark. A great move by the Dons in the 27th minute saw Guntveit shoot wide after good work from Dow and Young. A minute before half time Rowson headed wide from a Dow cross. O'Keefe was red carded by the ref on the stroke of half time after picking up two yellow's in two minutes.

The Dons didn't make the same start as the did in the first half as Bohs set their stall out to defend at all costs. In 54 minutes Winters and Dow both had efforts blocked as the Dons went searching for the breakthrough. Two minutes later Mackie replaced Bernard who had a fine game in his first appearance since the Cup Final. The Dons changed to a 4-3-3 at this point. Mackie made an immediate impact causing the Bohs defence problems then picking up a yellow card on the hour mark for a challenge on the keeper.

The breakthrough happened in the 69th minute when Winters hit a shot that was deflected off of Marr and into the net. Three minutes later Zerouali showed lovely skills as he left two defenders for dead. Unfortunately his finish was weak. In 77 minutes Winters won a free kick outside the box. Zero kissed the ball then promptly sent it into the crowd behind the goal. With seven minutes to go Rutkiewicz replaced Dow and with two minutes remaining Ebbe threw the last roll of the dice. He replaced Whyte with Belabed. The Dons pushed forward as the fourth official showed five minutes of injury time. Rutkiewicz nearly became the hero in the 93rd minute when he drove in a firm shot which was brilliantly saved by the keeper.

It wasn't to be however and the ten minutes of madness at Pittodrie proved to be the downfall.

Bohemians Dublin Teamsheet
Russell, Bowman (O'Connor 46), Maher, Hill, Webb, Morrison, O'Keefe, Hunt, Caffrey, M. Dempsey, Molloy Unused Subs: Brough, O'Neill, Williamson, O'Brien, Doyle, Dempsey   O'Keefe 46
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, Rowson, McGuire, Whyte (Belabed 88), McNaughton, Young, Zerouali, Guntveit, Bernard (Mackie 56), Winters, Dow (Rutkiewicz 83).

Unused Subs: Preece, McAllister, Perry.

Bookings:  Mackie (60).
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Tolka Park, Dublin
Referee: Leif Sundell, Sweden