Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dunfermline Athletic 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Aberdeen scorers: Crawford 35, Severin 45.

17/09/2005 | KO: 15:00

Dons grab first away win of season

Highlights available on RedTV on Monday.

Aberdeen built up a two-goal advantage at the interval then spent the second half defending in depth as they allowed the home side back into the match. Steve Crawford grabbed his first goal for the club in the 35th minute and Scott Severin headed a second on the stroke of half time to set the Dons up for the win. Dunfermline came out with purpose after the break but failed to convert a soft penalty in the 55th minute and never carved out a better chance after that.

Aberdeen started well and managed the first shot on target in the 2nd minute. Barry Nicholson setting up Chris Clark who hit his shot straight at keeper, McGregor. The Dons then won the first corner of the match in the 5th minute, but McGregor easily dealt with Muirhead's delivery. A second corner followed six minutes later and this time McGregor flapped the ball clear in the swirling wind before his defence completed the clearance. Dunfermline then threatened for the first time in the 13th minute when Burchill failed to make decent contact with a cross and headed wide of the target. Incredibly he was awarded a corner, which came to nothing as Esson was fouled.

Makel was starting to dominate in the middle of the park now as the home side started to come into the game. Smith went close in the 22nd minute as he beat Darren Young and hit a decent effort just inches over the bar. Smith was at the heart of the action again a minute later when good build up play saw the midfielder fire the ball across the face of the goal but was well defended by the home side. In the 25th minute Derek Young took a kick at Chris Clark and earned himself a free kick as Aberdeen looked to threaten again. Muirhead delivered a good cross two minutes later but Nicholson's effort was deflected away before Smith went close with a drive that drifted wide.

On the half hour mark Nicholson and Crawford threatened but looked to get in each other's way allowing McGregor to collect. A minute later Severin took a swing at the ball and sliced it over his own bar for a Dunfermline corner. Then in 34th minute Burchill made a strong run and tested Esson in the Aberdeen goal before Aberdeen broke at the other end and McGregor had to look lively to cut out a Muirhead cross. A minute later Aberdeen took the lead and the goal was made in Dunfermline as Nicholson lifted the ball over a defender finding Crawford who volleyed the ball in to the net.

Aberdeen almost added a second in the 37th minute when a reckless pass back by Wilson was almost pounced on by Steve Lovell. Aberdeen were now in command as the home side were forced to soak up immense pressure. McGregor was then forced into a great save from McNaughton when the midfielder hit a 25-yard rasping shot that the keeper tipped round the post. Aberdeen doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time when Lovell won a free kick 10 yards outside the home penalty area. Jamie Smith delivered the ball and Scott Severin rose to head past McGregor.

Dunfermline went route one in the opening minute of the second half before Darren Young screwed his shot wide. A minute later Esson came rushing from his goal and made a poor punch that fortunately fell to one of his defenders as Aberdeen failed to settle back into the domination they enjoyed before the break. Tarachulski, who had replaced Burchill at the interval, was causing problems for the Dons and he forced a save from Esson in the 50th minute. Aberdeen were on the back foot now and were having to defend in depth as the home side looked to pull a goal back.

Dunfermline were then awarded a very soft penalty in the 54th minute when Diamond was adjudged to have made a deliberate hand ball. It looked like ball to hand but Brines pointed to the spot and justice was done when Esson dived one way and Lee Makel fired the ball thw other and crashed it off the post. During the melee Scot Severin collected a yellow card for dissent. Aberdeen created their first chance of the second half when Lovell headed a Nicholson free kick at McGregor. Dunfermline continued to dominate, as the Dons appeared to have taken their foot off the pedal.

The Dons appeared unable to make an impact in the middle of the park as the second half was played almost exclusively in the Aberdeen half. Then in the 67th minute Muirhead collected the ball for the first time and went on a powerful run that had Scott Wilson scrambling the ball clear from the danger area. A clash of heads between Lovell and Tarachulski brought the game to a halt in the 70th minute but fortunately both players recovered. There were appeals for a second penalty in the 73rd penalty as Tarachulski fired a powerful shot straight at Severin. Common sense prevailed this time and the appeal was waved away.

A Dunfermline corner two minutes later was headed wide by Thomson as Aberdeen continued to be forced back. Aberdeen finally broke in the 76th minute and Smith released Lovell, but he slipped as he ran in on goal with only the keeper to beat. Foster then replaced Lovell a minute later and seconds later Crawford beat several defenders then set up Smith who pulled his effort inches wide. Crawford had a chance of a second in the 82nd minute when Smith set him up but he scooped the ball high. Two minutes later Esson turned a decent Zambernardi shot round the post.

Clark broke in the 88th minute but delivered his cross behind the Dons forwards. The Dons kept up the pressure until Smith was penalised for allowing his shirt to be pulled. Dempsey then replaced Muirhead in the 89th minute, as the Dons were quite happy to protect their two-goal lead. Despite three minutes of injury time the home side were unable to make any impact on the game.

Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
McGregor, Shields, Wilson, Thomson, Zambernardi, McCunnie, Young Dn, Makel, Horsted (Hunt 59), Burchill (Tarachulski  46), Young Dk.
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, McNaughton, Muirhead (Dempsey 89), Severin, Anderson, Diamond, Smith, Nicholson, Lovell (Foster 77), Crawford, Clark.

Unused Subs: Langfield, Winter, Considine, Macaulay, Maguire.

Bookings:  Severin (54).
Attendance: 6,387
Venue: East End Park, Dunfermline
Referee: Ian Brines
Jamie Smith and Darren Young battle for the ball.
Steve Crawford is held back as he tries to break through.
Steve Crawford opens the scoring today.
Diamond congratulates Crawford on his debut goal for the club.
McNaughton battles for the ball at East End Park.
Scott Severin is congratulated after netting the second.
Kevin McNaughton and Darren Young get high.
Jimmy Calderwood looks anxious on the sidelines.
Esson is sent the wrong way at the spot kick but the ball crashes off the post.
Again there is no way through for Crawford.
Jamie Smith in action against Dunfermline.
Gary Dempsey makes a late appearance against his old club.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead