Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 4 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Kilmarnock scorers: Ford 18, Invincible 19, Boyd 47, Boyd 57
Aberdeen scorers: Anderson 15, Crawford 71.

29/10/2005 | KO: 15:00

Dons stutter to defeat at Rugby Park

Aberdeen's roller coaster season continued as they dropped out of the top six again with a 4-2 defeat at Rugby Park. They also had a goal disallowed and suffered a spot kick miss when Smith blocked a Mackie effort. The match burst into life with three goals in a four-minute spell. Aberdeen grabbed the lead in the 15th minute with a well-worked free kick. Severin's delivery was headed back across goal and Anderson headed into the net. They could only hold the lead for two minutes however as Ford and Invincible netted two in two minutes. A double from Boyd after the interval gave the home side a 4-1 lead before Crawford grabbed a consolation.

Unlike the match at Pittodrie earlier in the season, the Dons survived the opening 20 seconds without conceding a goal. The home side did win the first corner of the match in the 4th minute and Hay's delivery eluded everyone and ran tamely out of play. Aberdeen went close in the 5th minute when Fowler was forced to clear a Considine header off the line from the Dons first corner. Kilmarnock won a free kick in the 8th minute and when it was swung in Ford rose unchallenged and headed over from twelve yards. Mackie won the Dons second corner in the 13th minute and once again it was a decent delivery by Smith, but the Dons were unable to threaten the home goal.

Kilmarnock then broke and Invincible put Byrne under pressure before the Irishman recovered to concede a throw in. The game then burst into life with three goals in a four-minute spell. Aberdeen grabbed the lead in the 15th minute with a well-worked free kick. Severin's delivery was headed back across goal and Anderson headed into the net to claim his second goal against Kilmarnock this season. The Dons went close to adding a second a minute later when a Nicholson shot was blocked. However it was the home side that went on to score when Anderson conceded a free kick and earned a yellow card for deliberate handball.

Esson could only parry Boyd's fierce free kick and as the Dons defence stood still Ford reacted and headed the ball into the net. Worse was to follow a minute later when Boyd back heeled a through ball into the path of Invincible and the Killie man swept the ball into the net. The Dons were rocked by this come back and almost conceded a third in the 20th minute when Naismith fired an effort inches over the bar. Aberdeen should have levelled in the 23rd minute when Mackie delivered a great cross only for Crawford to miss the target from nine yards with only Smith to beat. Play was held up for a short spell after a clash of heads between Mackie and Wright.

Aberdeen won a series of free kicks around the half hour mark but they were well defended by Kilmarnock as both sides continued to attack. A Smith effort was deflected wide for a corner in the 36th minute and Byrne attempted an overhead kick from a Diamond knock down, but the effort went inches over the top. Boyd's theatrics in the 40th minute failed to impress referee Toner before Smith pulled an effort wide two minutes later. Smith tried again in the 44th minute but this effort went well over the top.

Clark replaced Considine at the interval but it was Kilmarnock who increased their lead in the 47th minute following a corner kick that was only half cleared and volleyed back into the net by Kris Boyd. Aberdeen looked to have pulled one back in the 52nd minute when Anderson headed another flick on, from a Smith free kick, into the net but he was flagged offside as he went to celebrate. Within five minutes Kilmarnock had grabbed a fourth and Aberdeen were dead and buried. Esson had made a fine save but the ball was picked up by Invincible and turned back to Boyd who steered it into the net from 15 yards.

Muirhead replaced Byrne in the 65th minute as Calderwood looked for a way out of the dire situation. The substitute tested the keeper two minutes later as his curling shot was turned round the post. Naismith was then lucky to stay on the park when he took a dive in the box after collecting a yellow card earlier in the match. Aberdeen instantly went to the other end of the park and pulled a goal back. There was debate as to whether Muirhead got a touch on the ball as he appeared to turn a Crawford cross into the net, but it was agreed that Crawford had scored. Aberdeen then increased the pressure as they put Killie on the back foot.

Nicholson was then bundled to the ground by Hay in the 78th minute but Smith saved Mackie's spot kick and the subsequent corner was cleared. Severin collected a yellow card in the 81st minute then two minutes later Smith fumbled a Nicholson shot but no Aberdeen strikers were there to cash in as time continued to run out for the Dons. Severin then went close again in the 87th minute when his fierce shot slipped past the post. Seconds later Stewart replaced Mackie. In the 90th minute Esson was out quick to deny Nish.

Match Stats:

Killie Dons
Goal Attempts 9 10
On Target 6 5
Corners 3 6
Possession 48% 52%

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Smith, Fowler, Hay, Wright, Greer, Ford, Dodds, Invincible, Boyd (Nish 80), Johnston (McDonald 90), Naismith (Wales 82) Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Johnston 22,   Naismith 45
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, Considine (Clark 46), Byrne (Muirhead 65), Hart, Anderson, Diamond, Smith, Nicholson, Mackie (Stewart 87), Crawford, Severin.

Unused Subs: Winter, Dempsey, Langfield, Foster.

Bookings:  Anderson (17),  Severin (81).
Attendance: 5,798
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: Kevin Toner, Gourock
Jamie Smith battles for the ball at Rugby Park.
Russell Anderson gets the Dons off to a great start.
Anderson celebrates his opener.....
....but Ford is quick to level the game.
Invincible adds insult to injury to turn the game around.
Scott Severin challenges in today's match.
Boyd is congratulated after scoring the third.
Darren Mackie in action at Rugby Park.
Mackie is gutted as his spot kick is saved.
Goalkeeper Smith is congratulated after his spot kick heroics.
Calderwood screams instructions from the sidelines.
Richie Byrne in action today.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead