Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Rangers 0 - 0 Aberdeen


05/11/2005 | KO: 15:00

Dons hold out for draw at Ibrox

Aberdeen kicked off but the home side threatened first when they were awarded a free kick in the 4th minute. The Dons held firm and launched their own counter attack but failed to threaten Klos in the Rangers goal. Byrne was harshly cautioned two minutes later for a challenge that Ricksen made a complete meal of. The set play won Rangers the first corner of the match but Esson handled well and the Dons headed up field and won their first corner, which ended with Severin steering an effort wide. Aberdeen were competing well at this stage and giving as good as they were getting.

Rangers went close in the 13th minute when Ferguson swung in a cross and Dempsey deflected Thompson?s shot wide. The subsequent corner was almost a disaster for Esson as he failed to collect allowing Prso to send an overhead kick over the bar. The home side were enjoying a lot of pressure now as the Dons were forced on to the back foot. Klos was quick off the line in the 16th minute when Crawford tried to thread a pass through to Jamie Smith. Then seconds later Esson made a fine save from Thompson after Prso set up the striker. Dempsey had an effort blocked three minutes later then there were optimistic appeals for a spot kick when Hemdani handle inside the Rangers box.

Assistant referee Andy Davies halted the next Dons attack with a tight offside decision before Rangers won their third corner in the 23rd minute that forced Dempsey to clear a Rodriguez header off the line. A free kick four minutes later caused problems for the Dons as Prso forced a save from Esson before Thomson also tested the keeper again on the half hour mark. Aberdeen were now struggling to break forward as they seemed happy to play deep. Kyrgiakos made a telling challenge in the 35th minute that prevented Smith breaking into space with only Klos to beat. The Dons then won their second corner of the match in the 38th minute that resulted in Severin heading Smith's cross over the bar.

Rangers raced up field a minute later and Lovenkrands steered a Ricksen cross wide of the target. The home side broke again from a Dons attack but they failed to get numbers forward and Jamie Smith cleared the danger. With two minutes of the half remaining Clark was bundled off the ball by Kyrgiakos but once again the claims were turned away. In the final minute Byrne was clipped by Ricksen but unlike the earlier foul no yellow was produced and the Dons failed to capitalise on the set play.

Esson was straight into action in the opening minute of the second half when a flowing move released Prso and Esson did well to save the effort. Three minutes later a Bernard shot was deflected wide for the first corner of the second half. Esson commanded his area and clutched the ball from the air before Nicholson was body checked by Ricksen as the Dons looked for a way out. The home side were totally dominating at this stage and won another corner in the 53rd minute as Aberdeen struggled to get out of their own half. Calderwood was looking frustrated as, unlike the first half, Aberdeen were constantly losing what little possession they had.

An Aberdeen free kick in the 56th minute came to nothing then Rangers made a complete hash of a corner on the hour mark. Two minutes later Prso was crowded out as Aberdeen continued to defend in numbers before The Dons broke then ended a promising move with a poor pass from Byrne. Severin tried to find Dempsey in the 67th minute but once again the pass was too heavy and rolled through to Klos, but a minute later Dempsey was fouled and once again the chance was wasted. In the 69th minute Mackie replaced Smith and a minute later Diamond swept the ball clear as Rangers threatened again.

Aberdeen's distribution continued to scuttle their plans of hitting the home side on the break. Rangers then went very close in the 73rd minute when a Prso effort was deflected wide of the target before Kyrgiakos headed the resulting corner wide of the target. Esson then produced a fine save from Thompson two minutes later as Rangers continued to lay siege to the Aberdeen goal. Another Dons pass went astray in the 79th minute as Klos continued to enjoy an untroubled second half. Three minutes later Foster replaced Dempsey as the Dons looked to hold out or possibly steal a winner on the break. Esson again held firm a minute later when he clutched a Thompson header.

Aberdeen finally threatened in the 85th minute as Mackie broke forward and cut the ball back to Foster who failed to connect well with his shot. Two minutes later Mackie broke again but his cross was cleared allowing the home side to break. Fortunately that break came to nothing but seconds later Thomson fired over the bar. Rangers won another corner in the 88th minute and after a huge melee Esson grabbed the ball to ease the pressure. Stuart Dougal found three minutes of injury time for a half that saw few stoppages. Darren Mackie again threatened in the second minute of stoppage time but the ball was cleared and the Dons held out.

Match Stats:

Gers Dons
Goal Attempts 26 3
On Target 9 1
Corners 11 2
Possession 68% 32%
Rangers Teamsheet
Klos, Hutton (Jeffers 70), Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bernard, Ricksen, Ferguson, Hemdani (Murray 27), Lovenkrands (Burke 46), Prso, Thompson. Unused Subs:

Bookings:  Hutton 56
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Esson, Byrne, Clark, Severin, Anderson, Diamond, Nicholson, Dempsey (Foster 82), Crawford, Smith (Mackie 69), Muirhead.

Unused Subs: Considine, Stewart, Winter, Baas, Langfield.

Bookings:  Byrne (6).
Attendance: 49,717
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: Stuart Dougal, Burnside
The Rangers players welcome back Stefan Klos to first team action.
Anderson and Esson ensure that Prso will not pass.
Scott Muirhead holds off Hutton at Ibrox.
Bernard rues another missed chance.
Alex Mcleish tries to shout encouragement from the side.
Klos rises to collect the ball and end a Dons attack.
Aberdeen defend in numbers to keep rangers out.
As the game nears it's end Mackie wins a free kick against a background of empty seats.
Rangers players are not too happy by the end of the match.
Zander Diamond thanks the red army for their support.
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead